8/27 Chicago Cubs @ Chicago White Sox 7:10 PM CDT

It is time for the Chicago White Sox to continue their winning ways this evening!

Series Background:

The Chicago White Sox return home after a 3-4 road trip to host the Chicago Cubs. The Cubs finished their homestand with a 2-4 record, completing a series win over the Rockies on Thursday after being swept by Kansas City over the weekend.

The White Sox swept the Cubs earlier this month at Wrigley Field, the first three game sweep by either team in this series since the White Sox swept the Cubs in Wrigley Field May 18-20, 2012. The Chicago White Sox hold a 68-63 record against the Cubs in interleague games. In addition, the Chicago White Sox hold a 4-2 advantage in World Series contests.

Projected Starters:

The projected starter for the Chicago White Sox is LHP Dallas Keuchel (8-7; 135 2/3 IP; 82 K; 4.71 ERA). Dallas has pitched well in Comiskey Park II this season, going 5-2 with a 4.07 ERA over 73 innings in 12 starts and 1 relief appearance.

The Cubs are expected to start RHP Keegan Thompson (3-3; 44 2/3 IP; 44 K; 2.42 ERA). This will be Keegan's third career MLB start, with one in April, the second his last apperance when he faced the Kansas City Royals last weekend, allowing 5 hits and 2 runs, both earned, over 4 innings, 73 pitches.

Lineup Presentation:

Chicago White Sox Injury Updates:

• Yasmani Grandal 8/26 Update: Expected Return is this weekend. The Sox expect to carry two catchers with three upcoming off days over the next eight scheduled games. Seby Zavala likely the catcher to be sent to Charlotte or the taxi squad, until rosters expand in September, based on the fact he already was optioned this season.
  • Adam Engel 8/26 Update: Expected Return TBD. Adam was diagnosed with right groin tightness on August 12, but has also been diagnosed with left (non-throwing arm) shoulder inflammation. Tony reported Engel has made "some progress" over the past two days, but there is still no plan for him to go on a rehab assignment.
  • Billy Hamilton: Expected Return TBD. Billy Hamilton started his rehab assignment in Charlotte on August 21st, playing two games each at DH and CF, including his latest game on Thursday in Center Field.

Final Game Thread Opening Post Thoughts:

Let's continue with good positive thoughts and comments throughout the day and evening. For those attending the game, stay classy out there, keep the balls and cups in the stands, and keep your chants on a family friendly respectable level,

Go White Sox!

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 4

Heading to visit some good friends in NC who are rabid Cubs fans to enjoy the Crosstown together.  LET'S SCORE SOME RUNS.

Off to O'hare.  I have a feeling some epic game threads are on the way soon.  :gosoxretro:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wegner said:

Heading to visit some good friends in NC who are rabid Cubs fans to enjoy the Crosstown together.  LET'S SCORE SOME RUNS.

Off to O'hare.  I have a feeling some epic game threads are on the way soon.  :gosoxretro:

Get the tetanus shots first. By the way I hope it is not bad luck posting today's game thread before yesterday's was closed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

Get the tetanus shots first. By the way I hope it is not bad luck posting today's game thread before yesterday's was closed. 

My preference is to create the thread as soon as the lineup is released, which I did during my curation of threads during the White Sox' six game win streak in May, the longest win streak this season. However, upon completion of the win streak, SoxTalk Administrator @Kalapse pinned a thread stating game threads must be created early in the day. What I have witnessed to date, the prior day's game game thread is not necessarily achieved until after the current thread is created. It is a separate discussion after all.

I am not Tony La Russa, and have been here less than a year, so I (and others) may not cognizant be of all of the unwritten rules regarding game threads. Earlier this season, I created a game thread after a win, not cognizant of the unwritten rule regarding the prior game thread creator being entitled to creating the next game thread after a White Sox victory. If creation of the game thread for the current day should be deferred until the prior game thread has been archived, I ask a moderator reply confirming this unwritten rule, and to note any additional "unwritten" rules so that all of us are aware of said unwritten rules, assuming the posting of unwritten rules is not a violation of said unwritten rules. (First Rule of Fight Club, Second Rule of Fight Club, etc.)

Rest assured, I take the responsibility of creating and maintaining game threads very seriously. The extension of any and all White Sox win streaks is of the upmost importance to me, and hopefully all others who embark to create White Sox game threads.

3 hours ago, poppysox said:

Doesn't get much better than this.  Sox playing the Cubs at home on a Friday night that happens to be my birthday.  I have a feeling the scoreboard is going to be used frequently tonight to help me celebrate.

Happy birthday 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Sure hope the players don't have the attitude of this thread.  One game at a time.  

Ok relax buddy, the other day you turned off the TV in the second inning of a game not sure you should be preaching to others about attitude.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 2
  • Fire 3

20 minutes ago, T R U said:

Ok relax buddy, the other day you turned off the TV in the second inning of a game not sure you should be preaching to others about attitude.

right, that game was over.  at least I wait until we're down 6 runs to leave.  we got people on here saying it's gonna be a sweep before the 1st pitch is even thrown.  if you can't see the difference in those situations well, it might get you some internet stickers but it's not the same thing, at all.

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

right, that game was over.  at least I wait until we're down 6 runs to leave.  we got people on here saying it's gonna be a sweep before the 1st pitch is even thrown.  if you can't see the difference in those situations well, it might get you some internet stickers but it's not the same thing, at all.

He's right though.  People lose their minds in a game thread, and then complain about the players attitudes.  It's hilarious and soft all at the same time.

There's no such thing as starting a game thread too early and plenty have been started before the previous was closed, I've personally closed quite a few that were still open when the next was created, if the Sox lose it's because SSHM is bad luck for other reasons.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

The game I’m referring to is Monday's game that we lost 2-1 and you made your statement when it was 0-0

like I said, I wouldn’t be blasting an entire thread about attitude

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

43 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

There's no such thing as starting a game thread too early and plenty have been started before the previous was closed, I've personally closed quite a few that were still open when the next was created, if the Sox lose it's because SSHM is bad luck for other reasons.

I have a solid game thread record, and do not bring bad luck to the Chicago White Sox. I also have a very good in person game attendance record, including a 5-3 postseason record. The Sox are 1-6 in postseason home games I have not attended. Sox fans with extra tickets should definitely keep me in mind during this championship window. :D

I am hopeful to add a few more wins to my game thread record before handing the reins off to the next passionate Sox fan.

Cheers

I'll take a sweep but expecting one is kind of silly.  You are expecting too much and it's no wonder our fans get so irritated in game threads. TLR won't be doing anything differently. The great lineup with every position player we all want to see playing might not even be on the field for even 1 of the 3 games.

Neither team has ever swept the other one in a season series of at least 6 games before, even when one team sucked and the other was very good. Sweeping this series means we sweep the season series.

There have been two season series sweeps, both by the Cubs in 1998 (3 games) and 2013 (4 games).

I have no idea if these games still have a corporate sponsorship. In 2010, 2011, and 2012, the trophy was sponsored by oil and gas company BP and was known as the BP Crosstown Cup. From 2013 to 2018 there was no corporate sponsor. In 2019 the trophy was sponsored by the financial holding company Wintrust and was therefore called the Wintrust Crosstown Cup.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

25 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I have a solid game thread record, and do not bring bad luck to the Chicago White Sox. I also have a very good in person game attendance record, including a 5-3 postseason record. The Sox are 1-6 in postseason home games I have not attended. Sox fans with extra tickets should definitely keep me in mind during this championship window. :D

I am hopeful to add a few more wins to my game thread record before handing the reins off to the next passionate Sox fan.

Cheers

It is a noble and worthwhile thing you do, South Side.

• Thanks 1