Does Dallas Keuchel even make the Playoff Roster?

DanofDuPage

May as well just throw him in the bullpen right now and let Lopez take his spot. He definitely is not going to be starting games in the playoffs. And if you put him the pen now, he isn’t going to reach 160 innings and, and then you l don’t have to worry about that vesting option next year. Let him have another heck at a rotation spot next spring. 

4 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I would like to see Dallas transitioned to the bullpen now, so he is ready for his playoff role.

There are five off days between now and the final game. They can bring up Steiver for the one DH start against Cleveland, and go with Reynaldo as the fifth starter. He may also be needed as a fourth playoff starter if something unexpected happens.

Transition Keuchel both mentally and physically for his bullpen role now, and  next season as he can serve as a long man or first/second replacement for an injured pitcher in 2022. The Sox have 20 million legitimate reasons to do this.

I believe Stiever is hurt and may even be out for the season.

36 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

May as well just throw him in the bullpen right now and let Lopez take his spot. He definitely is not going to be starting games in the playoffs. And if you put him the pen now, he isn’t going to reach 160 innings and, and then you l don’t have to worry about that vesting option next year. Let him have another heck at a rotation spot next spring. 

Isn’t the vesting option for 2023? 

2 hours ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Isn’t the vesting option for 2023? 

Yes but he has to throw 160 In 21 and 22 for 23 to vest. He’s at 135 right now so could easily be kept under with a move to the pen for some portion of the next 5 weeks. 

Edited by ChiSox59

15 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yes but he has to throw 160 In 22 and 23 for it to vest. He’s at 135 right now so could easily be kept under with a move to the pen for some portion of the next 5 weeks. 

I thought it was 2021 and 22.

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

I thought it was 2021 and 22.

It is. Phone Typo. He has to throw 160 innings in both 21 and 22. That’s my point. Move him to the pen now and it’s not even a factor next year. Hipefilly he discovers the ability to be a serviceable 5 because he’s going to be here. 

16 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

He not only will be on it. He will be one of the 4 starters because "experience".  It's TLR guys.

Probably but I bet even TLR would yank him like Dunning last year…especially if you got Cease, Lopez & Kopech sitting there ready to eat

Edited by Jerksticks

49 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Probably but I bet even TLR would yank him like Dunning last year…especially if you got Cease, Lopez & Kopech sitting there ready to eat

If he's this bad in September, yanking him after he gives up 6 runs to Houston...gets us eliminated, since that would be game 4. 

On 8/28/2021 at 5:33 AM, MiddleCoastBias said:

I bet we see him hit the IL for a week or two to try to sort himself out in the next few days. They'll let him dry out on the bench and get some back-field work, and then see what we have when he comes back from a break.

They need to do this with Kopech too.   A lot of our pitchers are developing dead arms due to the short season last year (or no season for Kopech).   We have the opportunity to take advantage of our big lead in the division and have healthy arms in October.   Lets do it!

On 8/28/2021 at 10:30 PM, southsideirish71 said:

He not only will be on it. He will be one of the 4 starters because "experience".  It's TLR guys.

I don't think that will be the case.  In 1983, the only other year LaRussa managed a playoff team with us, LaRussa started Britt Burns in Game 4. The right choice of course. And I'm not just saying that because of how well he pitched in that Game 4. But he could have gone with Jerry Koosman, the most experienced pitcher in our rotation.  Both by time and the fact that he'd previously pitched in 2 World Series's in his career. But he wasn't one of the 4 best starters in our rotation in 1983.  So he didn't start a playoff game. Burns was outstanding in September of 83. Cease is getting stronger right now as well later in the year when some of our other starters, like Lynn and Rodon, are hitting a bit of a wall. So Cease is this year's Britt Burns. I bet he'd start a Game 4. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/28/2021 at 1:16 AM, FoxForce2 said:

Brings to memory Hernandez going against Ramirez/Ortiz in the playoffs. Those two actually looked intimidated at the plate. Hadn't seen that before and just showed that the Duke knew he still had something serious to bring, even if only for a moment.

Hell yeah.  I also just think Hernandez had better stuff and had experience pitching in relief that Keuchel doesn't.  

I'm pretty sure Keuchel can be in teh clubhouse and in the dugout even if he's not on the playoff roster.  That might be where his value is highest.  

On 8/29/2021 at 12:06 PM, sin city sox fan said:

They need to do this with Kopech too.   A lot of our pitchers are developing dead arms due to the short season last year (or no season for Kopech).   We have the opportunity to take advantage of our big lead in the division and have healthy arms in October.   Lets do it!

Disagreee.  Kopech needs innings.  They should not be shutting him down unless he's hurt.  

On 8/28/2021 at 3:17 PM, ScooterMcGee said:

If he was still here, it would all be Cooper's fault

Cease and Lopez are definitely better because Cooper is mercifully no longer here. 

Cooper's supposed claim to fame was getting way too much credit for the resurgence of a journeyman pitcher.

Being a major Reinsdorf sycophant prolonged his tenure way more than Matt Thornton.

21 hours ago, Soxsi75 said:

I don't think that will be the case.  In 1983, the only other year LaRussa managed a playoff team with us, LaRussa started Britt Burns in Game 4. The right choice of course. And I'm not just saying that because of how well he pitched in that Game 4. But he could have gone with Jerry Koosman, the most experienced pitcher in our rotation.  Both by time and the fact that he'd previously pitched in 2 World Series's in his career. But he wasn't one of the 4 best starters in our rotation in 1983.  So he didn't start a playoff game. Burns was outstanding in September of 83. Cease is getting stronger right now as well later in the year when some of our other starters, like Lynn and Rodon, are hitting a bit of a wall. So Cease is this year's Britt Burns. I bet he'd start a Game 4. 

Britt Burns performance in that game was memorable. Bad baserunning cost the Sox dearly. Hawk was livid.

If they had gotten back to Lamar Hoyt the next day, they would have made it to the 1983 World Series and won it.

I"m still haunted by that Tito Landrum homerun.

Edited by GradMc
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, GradMc said:

Britt Burns performance in that game was memorable. Bad baserunning cost the Sox dearly. Hawk was livid.

If they had gotten back to Lamar Hoyt the next day, they would have made it to the 1983 World Series and won it.

I"m still haunted by that Tito Landrum homerun.

Absolutely!!! I think the Orioles felt the same way. I've heard a few quotes, specifically from Ken Singleton, that the Orioles told themselves after Game 1 that "we'd better make sure to win the next 3 because we don't want any part of having to deal with this guy in a Game 5." No clue what Dybzinski was thinking on that play. The play was right in front of him. Gary Roenicke was on the ball IMMEDIATELY!! There was no way Law was going to score on that play.  I've read that he thought Leyland would still send him because of how aggressive the White Sox ran the bases. But that's utterly ridiculous. Man it hurts to still talk about this!! Might have been nearly 40 years ago, but it doesn't seem that long. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GradMc said:

Cease and Lopez are definitely better because Cooper is mercifully no longer here. 

Cooper's supposed claim to fame was getting way too much credit for the resurgence of a journeyman pitcher.

Being a major Reinsdorf sycophant prolonged his tenure way more than Matt Thornton.

1st sentence: Oh I agree. He needed to go. But, if Cooper was here, all the problems that Kuechel and the bullpen are having would be blamed on him. That's all I'm saying.

2nd sentence: which journeyman pitcher do you speak of? The way Don Cooper left was unfortunate and probably left a sour taste in a lot of peoples' mouths, but he did some amazing things here in his prime with pitchers. He was the best of the best there for a while. Unfortunately, I think toward the end he tried to make all the pitchers do the same thing (like getting rid of the curveball), rather than working toward their individual strengths.

3rd sentence: Sycophant isn't a real word 🤣 but you're probably right in that him being here too long could be attributed to Jerry and his loyalty. But so what? He was here during the rebuild and that's it. He isn't here now, and it took Jerry some balls to allow him to be let go.  

Edited by ScooterMcGee