Does Dallas Keuchel even make the Playoff Roster?

DanofDuPage

5 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Disagree. He isn't even good enough to be a #5 at this point. #5's are supposed to get bombed night in and night out.

He hasn't been bombed all season though, that's my point.  He's having a brutal stretch, no doubt and he shouldn't be on the playoff roster.  But he's given up 3 or fewer runs in over half his starts.  Teams would gladly take that from their 5th starter.

• Like 1

Dallas' problems are centered around his command which is absent at this point. He's traditionally good for two rotations through a lineup (Roughly 5-6 innings) at which point most hitters have him timed. With his increasing age, this is likely his last hurrah and it is unlikely that he will be here past 2022. His 18 million is a tough pill to swallow, but you hope he bounces back next year to be a serviceable #5. 

The interesting question is do the Sox cash in the 20 million club option in 2023 if he bounces back in 2022? What scenario would have to happen in order for the Sox to pick it up? 

I imagine an ERA under 3 and a WHIP around 1.1-1.2. Plus, you have to consider the money needed to extend TA7 at that point. 

6 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Someone traded for JA Happ. If you're willing to eat salary, you could get something for him.

It's possible, but who would be likely suitors? Almost anyone would be interested if the Sox are picking up the tab, but how much would the Sox have to eat in order for that to happen especially when they can just ride out 2022 with him on the roster knowing he's gone after that. 

I imagine an NL team could be interested if they needed a 4 or 5 that could help them get to the playoffs, but the picture of that would not open up until June or July of 2022. 

23 minutes ago, WookiesOnRitalin said:

Dallas' problems are centered around his command which is absent at this point.

He's getting ahead of hitters often enough, it seems.  His problem is that he's become an absolute nibbler (like much of our bullpen, if we're being honest).  Nibble, nibble, nibble with what are often non-competitive pitches until the count goes full and then he's forced to throw a good strike and hitters, given DK's pure 'stuff', aren't going to miss those pitches.  

I just don't think he trusts his stuff anymore and is scared of throwing too hittable of a pitch when ahead in the count.  

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

Someone traded for JA Happ. If you're willing to eat salary, you could get something for him.

Can't use Happ as a valid example.

Happ had about $2.6M left on his deal when the Cardinals took him as a 5th starter. Keuchel has $19.5M on his deal for 2022, $38.0M if he reaches 160 (plus any additional innings short of 160 he reaches this year).

1 hour ago, wegner said:

The answer is Yes he will, but how he's pitching he shouldn't.  I sure don't trust him coming out of the pen at an important in the playoffs.  And you sure as hell can't have him start a game.

He's a #5 and #5's don't start in the playoffs.  He will definitely be given the courtesy of being put on the squad IMO and hopefully, we won't see him.  I would give Tony and the FO a lot of credit if they put winning over courtesy but many would think it harsh.

41 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Can't use Happ as a valid example.

Happ had about $2.6M left on his deal when the Cardinals took him as a 5th starter. Keuchel has $19.5M on his deal for 2022, $38.0M if he reaches 160 (plus any additional innings short of 160 he reaches this year).

I was referring to Minnesota.

21 hours ago, Spumoni said:

The fact that he is so unlikeable on a personal level makes it even worse.  I've been dreading days he pitches for a while now.

I'm not really sure where this is coming from.  I'm not a fan of his recent performances but everything I have heard from the clubhouse is that he is one of the leaders and has a played a huge part in helping the younger pitchers like Cease and Kopech.  Also, just from his interactions with the media, he'll be the first one to acknowledge that he's sucked and he'll be honest about it.  If people can cite examples of him being an asshole or something that would be great.  Because this is kind of the opposite impression of what I have gotten from him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colome's Hat said:

I'm not really sure where this is coming from.  I'm not a fan of his recent performances but everything I have heard from the clubhouse is that he is one of the leaders and has a played a huge part in helping the younger pitchers like Cease and Kopech.  Also, just from his interactions with the media, he'll be the first one to acknowledge that he's sucked and he'll be honest about it.  If people can cite examples of him being an asshole or something that would be great.  Because this is kind of the opposite impression of what I have gotten from him.

How about blaming outfield positioning?

On 9/4/2021 at 1:18 PM, poppysox said:

He's a #5 and #5's don't start in the playoffs.  He will definitely be given the courtesy of being put on the squad IMO and hopefully, we won't see him.  I would give Tony and the FO a lot of credit if they put winning over courtesy but many would think it harsh.

Even if he’s not lined up to start a playoff game, he’ll make the roster. It's still important to have a guy who can potentially pitch multiple innings in the event of a starter getting injured, a blowout loss or extra inning game. Otherwise, there’s a possibility too many arms won’t be available in subsequent games.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

I think with the health of current pitching he might/will. In a game four, one time through lineup then watch. Pull if makes it through twice. A lot of games he’s given five pretty decent innings then gets knocked around in sixth. In playoffs, I wouldn’t give him that chance. 

21 hours ago, fathom said:

How about blaming outfield positioning?

I took what he was saying as less so blaming any one person but rather a commentary on baseball today that outfielders play way too deep.  At least that is what I got from reading the quote.  I think he's right.  The only time outfielders come in at all is if a man is on 3rd.  I think his point was that if he gives up a deep fly ball, it's gone anyways so outfielder wouldn't have much to lose by playing in.

16 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

Eh, I thought that was blown out of proportion. I didn’t have any issue with what he said. 

Especially since when he said it, the Sox were just about always playing 2 infielders in the outfield and sometimes 3. That had to be frustrating for a pitcher who doesn't strike out many guys and relies on the defense to get outs for him.

He is basically an auto loss currently. They need to start him his next turn since everyone is on the IL and I think they should keep him during September even when rodon, Lynn and giolito are back to have him eat some innings and keep guys fresh but no way he should pitch any playoff innings. 

Sure they could use him as a mpp up guy in losses but I wouldn't want to waste a roster spot for that in the playoffs