8/28 Chicago Cubs @ Chicago White Sox 6:10 PM CDT

The Chicago White Sox are now 4-0 vs. the Cubs this season. They will attempt to extend their current winning streak to three games later this evening. 

Projected Starters: The White Sox will send RHP Lance Lynn (10-3, an AL leading 2.20 ERA among qualified starters, 130 2/3 IP, 145 Ks), who despite pitching well in August (2.86 ERA, 1.045 Ratio) is without a decision. The Cubs will counter with RHP Alec Mills (5-6. 4.76 ERA, 81 1/3 IP, 62 Ks), who pitched out of the bullpen until joining the rotation on June 15th. This will be Alec's first appearance against the White Sox.

Starting Lineups: Will be posted when available this afternoon.

Bullpen Availability: (# Pitches in last appearance(s) on F = Friday, Th = Thursday, W = Wednesday, T = Tuesday)

The Chicago Cubs did not play on Thursday, Adrian Sampson (37 F), Michael Rucker (40 F) and Ryan Meisinger (30 F) will likely not be available tonight.

The Chicago White Sox have the following anticipated bullpen availability:

• Available: Bummer (27 W), Hendriks (29 T), Ruiz (11 W), Tepera (8 Th).
  • Likely Available: Kopech (27 Th).
  • Likely Out: Crochet (18 F & 8 Th).
  • Out: Kimbrel (24 F & 6 Th), Lopez (59 F), Wright Jr. (29 F).

White Sox Position Player Availability: Barring any roster moves today, the Sox have three bench players. Tony La Russa announced Friday Seby Zavala will catch tonight. Jake Lamb and Brian Goodwin were the other two Friday reserves. I have not heard an official pronouncement regarding Yasmani Grandal's availability to start at DH or 1B, or to PH, as the team navigates his return to full health. Zack Collins cannot return to the White Sox until 10 days after his Friday option (Tuesday, September 8th in Oakland, The Field of Screams).

Final Thoughts: Outside of Dallas Keuchel angst, the Friday game thread went well given the circumstances. Let us all strive to continue with positive thoughts and commentary, and remember we are all in this together. The team is here for us to enjoy, and we are here to support the team. Thank you for reading, and I hope we enjoy another White Sox victory.

Go Sox!

Eh Cumpari, ci vo sunari

Can you dig it? Yes I can...

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• bmags pinned this topic
57 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I doubt Grandal is DH. In addition to him resting, I think either Jimenez or Robert gets a day off with Leury and Goodwin both in the OF.

Tony will probably make up the lineup with Leury and Goodwin in the OF and Lamb at third with Z behind the plate.  That's about as weakened as he can make the lineup.  I imagine utility-type players love playing for Tony.  To be fair...having well-rested starters and game-ready utility backups might very well be the right thing to do.  Like everyone else, I enjoy those lineups that can produce 17 runs but the main priority is winning the WS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I doubt Grandal is DH. In addition to him resting, I think either Jimenez or Robert gets a day off with Leury and Goodwin both in the OF.

I don't understand the need to rest either Eloy or Robert. They are young players. Why do they need a rest especially when they spent months not playing? I know they were rehabbing with their injuries, but they were still not playing. The team is well rested already and off days are coming. Enough of the resting already. LaRussa should put his best lineup out there. Some rest can come after the clinching.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I don't understand the need to rest either Eloy or Robert. They are young players. Why do they need a rest especially when they spent months not playing? I know they were rehabbing with their injuries, but they were still not playing. The team is well rested already and off days are coming. Enough of the resting already. LaRussa should put his best lineup out there. Some rest can come after the clinching.

You are taking a short view if this for 2 reasons. 1. Rest isn't always Physical many young ayers need to mental break as issues can snowball and create slumps. 2. The advantage if having a big division lead is the Sox can rest their players now so they don't need to rest them at the end of the season and can go into the postseason on a roll, while the other team may be cold from resting at that time.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I don't know how much of it is the need to rest certain guys, or if it's an obsession by Tony to make sure every bench guy starts at least 1 of every 3 games.

Just now, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I don't know how much of it is the need to rest certain guys, or if it's an obsession by Tony to make sure every bench guy starts at least 1 of every 3 games.

This is another good reason. The Sox will need pinch hitters in the post season. They will be better prepared if they have played on a semi-regular basis.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

This is another good reason. The Sox will need pinch hitters in the post season. They will be better prepared if they have played on a semi-regular basis.

I can see Goodwin and Engel pinch hitting for each other, but is there any other right handed hitter in the lineup where you would pinch hit Lamb for him even against a tough righty? I don't see another spot.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zisk said:

when is Engel coming back?

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/white-soxs-adam-engel-makes-progress/

White Sox manager Tony La Russa said Engel (shoulder) has made progress the last two days, but the White Sox still don't have a plan for him to go on a rehab assignment.

Sounds like he is at least a week away. At this point I expect Hamilton back before Engel.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ptatc said:

You are taking a short view if this for 2 reasons. 1. Rest isn't always Physical many young ayers need to mental break as issues can snowball and create slumps. 2. The advantage if having a big division lead is the Sox can rest their players now so they don't need to rest them at the end of the season and can go into the postseason on a roll, while the other team may be cold from resting at that time.

I know rest  is important, but the team needs to stay sharp, too. You can do that sitting on the bench. Again, I think players have been rested. I don't think any bad play is due to exhaustion. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I can see Goodwin and Engel pinch hitting for each other, but is there any other right handed hitter in the lineup where you would pinch hit Lamb for him even against a tough righty? I don't see another spot.

For the regular season, whatever at this point, but Lamb mustn’t be a consideration for a postseason roster. He has no defensive position, and does not have a platoon capable bat (.702 OPS vs RHP).

Mercedes would be a much better option, since at least he can mash RHP (.909 vs. LHP), and can at least serve as an emergency third catcher.

I would still prefer (assuming Engel returns as RF) a playoff bench of Zavala, Garcia, Hamilton, and then Goodwin if he is not starting, with Sheets, Mercedes or Mendick as a possible 14th position player (ranked in the order I would like to see them). Would also rather have Burger, or even Collins or a mop up pitcher over Lamb.

28 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I know rest  is important, but the team needs to stay sharp, too. You can do that sitting on the bench. Again, I think players have been rested. I don't think any bad play is due to exhaustion. 

I have my gripes with LaRussa, but managing players workloads and knowing what strings to pulls behind the scenes is not something I worry about with him. 

I’ll trust his judgment over yours in this area. 

1 hour ago, gogosox1959 said:

Think ahead and be optimistic.  Many more pinch hitting needs in the WS w/o DH.

Thus the importance of Eloy and Vaughn playing the outfield when in NL parks...everyone can't be the DH when it's allowed either.

1 hour ago, NWINFan said:

The team needs to be sharp at the end if the season and the playoffs. And again not just physically sharp but mentally. Periodic rest now, play more at the end of the season to get on a roll similar to the end of spring training.

• Like 1