8/28 Chicago Cubs @ Chicago White Sox 6:10 PM CDT

43 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

To be fair, it’s a lot easier to pitch with no pressure. That also applies to Kimbrel.

Still, at this point it looks like a bad trade.  Just second guessing, because I liked it at the time.  

5 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I’m just saying in general. The Cubs aren’t playing for anything so Heuer doesn’t really have any pressure on him anymore.

HUH??? You think there is only pressure on winning teams?  Many of the players on losing teams are playing to survive in the majors. A few bad performances and they could be back in AAA or cut loose.  That is also pressure

15 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Hendriks is pitching tomorrow. Wouldn't be surprised if we lost again if the bats aren't more patient. 

Would like to see some hit and runs to try staying away from double plays, particularly from Abreu and Vaughn.  DPs have been rally killers for the Sox this season.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Deadline doesn’t look like Hahn’s finest moment based on results so far.

Sad part was that we didn’t really need another closer, just stay pat and keep cheaper, younger Heuer and contact hitter first rounder Madrigal. Or use those resources to get a good corner outfielder that we really needed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, harkness99 said:

focus tonight was trash...

no patience or trying to take the ball the opposite way.

They felt that the ball was flying out so they were pulling and hitting for the fences.  If Wisdom could hit two dingers and Ortega a grand slam, we should be hitting a few.  Nobody was looking for a walk.

28 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Sad part was that we didn’t really need another closer, just stay pat and keep cheaper, younger Heuer and contact hitter first rounder Madrigal. Or use those resources to get a good corner outfielder that we really needed.

I wonder how much more Sox would have had to add with Madrigal and Heuer to get Trea Turner.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

I wonder how much more Sox would have had to add with Madrigal and Heuer to get Trea Turner.

I never thought of the Hahn/Hoyer trade in those terms but now that you mention Turner as having been a possible alternative out there, I am steaming mad to think about it.   Trea Turner would have been a game changer.  Sox should have Drafted Turner, as I wanted them to do.

4 hours ago, That funky motion said:

He had no choice there.  He wouldn’t have got back in time, even if he did go back. 

He should have gone back to the plate right away as it was clear Lynn was getting to the ball.  He stood motionless in no man’s land. Not productive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Hendriks is pitching tomorrow. Wouldn't be surprised if we lost again if the bats aren't more patient. 

If Sox can't beat Cubs five out of six this season it's pretty sad state of affairs. Sox are way too inconsistent right now (I feel whenever I say anything negative about the team I have to add all the injuries, etc.).

3 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

To be fair, it’s a lot easier to pitch with no pressure. That also applies to Kimbrel.

this I think is the problem with guys like Bummer, pisses himself when the pressure is on.  coming off last year, the expectations for him were probably way higher than justified.

2 hours ago, SCCWS said:

HUH??? You think there is only pressure on winning teams?  Many of the players on losing teams are playing to survive in the majors. A few bad performances and they could be back in AAA or cut loose.  That is also pressure

Heuer’s roster spot on the Cubs is very safe for the foreseeable future. He’s arguably the best reliever they have right now and will likely at least be the set up man for them next year. 

I am a bit concerned at the number of 'big innings' that are happening against us recently, yesterday against the Cubs the bats saved the games despite a big early innings but today the bats were silent. In the post season we just can't afford games to be blown out by these innings against us. Is this a genuine problem?

9 hours ago, hankchifan said:

They felt that the ball was flying out so they were pulling and hitting for the fences.  If Wisdom could hit two dingers and Ortega a grand slam, we should be hitting a few.  Nobody was looking for a walk.

"looking for a walk" isn't exactly how you do it.

0 runs and their pitcher had 90 pitches heading into the 9th.

pretty sure that's a losing approach...

8 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

"looking for a walk" isn't exactly how you do it.

0 runs and their pitcher had 90 pitches heading into the 9th.

pretty sure that's a losing approach...

It is a losing approach, I don't know how many times I've seen the White Sox offense go three-up, three down in a low pitch inning. The opposing pitcher breezes. I saw a highlight of a Frank Thomas walk-off home run on YouTube. He worked the pitcher for 12 pitches before hitting the home run. Many Sox innings are ten pitches or less.