Are there still two functioning mounds in the bullpen?

CentralChamps21

Did the second one get damaged beyond repair?

Is there an outrageous rental fee to use the second one?

Did MLB ban warming up two pitchers at once?

I ask because after last night's game, Tony explained that he had Kimbrel up to pitch the 9th with a 4 run lead, but after Grandal's homer stretched the lead to 7, he got Ruiz up but he wasn't ready in time to pitch the 9th. I was wondering if there was a reason the Sox couldn't have had both Kimbrel and Ruiz warming up already to prepare for all eventualities, or was the manager just asleep at the wheel again?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Did the second one get damaged beyond repair?

Is there an outrageous rental fee to use the second one?

Did MLB ban warming up two pitchers at once?

I ask because after last night's game, Tony explained that he had Kimbrel up to pitch the 9th with a 4 run lead, but after Grandal's homer stretched the lead to 7, he got Ruiz up but he wasn't ready in time to pitch the 9th. I was wondering if there was a reason the Sox couldn't have had both Kimbrel and Ruiz warming up already to prepare for all eventualities, or was the manager just asleep at the wheel again?

They have two mounds.  I figured this was the case.  Grandal's home run happened pretty quickly and it was with two out.  Cesar made a quick out after that.  I would have warmed Ruiz up along with Kimbrel because I think you should know there is the possibility that the Sox wills score more runs.

2 minutes ago, RibbieRubarb said:

Why would you have Ruiz up in a four run game?

It should always be on the mind of the manager/pitching coach as to whether their pitching usage would change if the offense scores more runs. In this case, the offense already had 14 runs and the Cubs were on their 7th pitcher. There was at least a reasonable chance that the lead was going to push out to 6-7 where Ruiz would have been used. Are there negative consequences to having Ruiz warm up and then end up not using him if the Sox hadn't scored?

On 8/28/2021 at 9:54 AM, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

It should always be on the mind of the manager/pitching coach as to whether their pitching usage would change if the offense scores more runs. In this case, the offense already had 14 runs and the Cubs were on their 7th pitcher. There was at least a reasonable chance that the lead was going to push out to 6-7 where Ruiz would have been used. Are there negative consequences to having Ruiz warm up and then end up not using him if the Sox hadn't scored?

Yes, warming up does factor into usage. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Typically with a 3 batter minimum and smaller benches than ever, Team don't need to warm up two relievers at once, because there aren't batter to batter match ups anymore.

If the preferred reliever to use in the upcoming inning is dependent on whether you lead by 4 or lead by 6+, then it makes sense to have both warming up, regardless of the 3 batter rule.