TLR Appreciation Thread

ron883

Far too often we see backseat managers on here that think they can manage the team better than TLR. Despite not knowing the inner workings of the team or how players are feeling, they think they know what is best for the team.

The Sox have been decimated by injuries, but the team has still performed damn well. Tony gets a lot of unnecessary hate on here. It's time he gets some appreciation for how well the team has performed in the face of great adversity. The players also seem to love and respect him. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

Props to the injury management TLR. Its been great. The 10-12 losses by bad bullpen TLR management...not so great.

10-12 losses? Wow, I had no idea he cost the team THAT many games. Imagine if Soxtalk was the manager. 87-43 record, on pace for 108 wins and 54 losses. Mercy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Gutsy decision last night pulling Dallas mid batter.  Changed the complexion of the game.  But it doesn't matter he will be tested in October: as I've said until then it's just pass or fail via winning the division (so pass) and final grade will come out in the postseason.

He cost the team 10-12 games in the regular season with his bullpen management. That's a fail for the regular season. 

8 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Gutsy decision last night pulling Dallas mid batter.  Changed the complexion of the game.  But it doesn't matter he will be tested in October: as I've said until then it's just pass or fail via winning the division (so pass) and final grade will come out in the postseason.

1 inning 7 hits and a walk against a minor league line up, and yanking him is gutsy?

If anything was gutsy, it was letting start the 2nd, thankfully he either came ro his senses or someone awoke him from his nap.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

1 inning 7 hits and a walk against a minor league line up, and yanking him is gutsy?

If anything was gutsy, it was letting start the 2nd, thankfully he either came ro his senses or someone awoke him from his nap.

Weird seeing ageist shit from someone clearly older themself. Every manager in the game would have had a vet come out for the 2nd, few would "wake up" and pull them as quickly as the "tired" TLR.

Now get your nap in before the game gramps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

20 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Weird seeing ageist shit from someone clearly older themself. Every manager in the game would have had a vet come out for the 2nd, few would "wake up" and pull them as quickly as the "tired" TLR.

Now get your nap in before the game gramps.

Age shit? You have been doing it for years. People of all ages take naps.And then you do age shit  here. You really have no idea what you are talking about. Now go get stoned and tell everyone how coll you are.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 3

2 hours ago, ron883 said:

Far too often we see backseat managers on here that think they can manage the team better than TLR. Despite not knowing the inner workings of the team or how players are feeling, they think they know what is best for the team.

The Sox have been decimated by injuries, but the team has still performed damn well. Tony gets a lot of unnecessary hate on here. It's time he gets some appreciation for how well the team has performed in the face of great adversity. The players also seem to love and respect him. 

I couldn't agree with you more, ron.

He's less than perfect, but he's good enough to manage my team and I'm damn glad to have him.

• Thanks 2

10-12 losses? Wow, I had no idea he cost the team THAT many games. Imagine if Soxtalk was the manager. 87-43 record, on pace for 108 wins and 54 losses. Mercy!

And bad pitching does not equal bad bullpen management.  There is no  poster here who has kept a daily chart of sideline sessions, minor aches and pains, bullpen sessions, how often pitched, how many pitches thrown, studied film or has any idea on how to maintain and run an MLB pitching staff.

In the preseason we went from everyone thinking we had a lockdown BP to wtf is happening. Gone are those preseason heros like Heuer, Foster, Marshall. A lot of the faces have changed and Kopech and Crochet are enduring their 1st full seasons and we are seeing the ups and downs of that and keeping them as fresh and healthy as possible.

No one can say for sure whats going on with Kimbrel. It's hard to explain the vast difference in 1st half results with the Cubs to results with us. Liam has had struggles too. On paper this BP looks like it should dominate now. All you can do is play the guys who are supposed to be the best and hope they pitch like the best. There is still time to right the ship and for them all to get settled in their roles .

He cost the team 10-12 games in the regular season with his bullpen management. That's a fail for the regular season. 

Surely it was the relief pitcher's poor performance that lost these '10-12 games' or did TLR tell them to pitch badly? Equally how many games has TLR won through good management? Or are all the wins something any manager could have done and all the losses his fault?

47 minutes ago, Jerry McNertney said:

I wasn't a fan of TLR in the 1980's, and I'm not a fan now. He's made some good moves and some bad moves, like all managers. My guess is that if Rick Renteria was the manager this year the Sox record would be about the same.

Maybe you are right and Renteira or any other manager, or even Soxtalk manager would have had a similar regular season record this season but surely the make or break for the TLR hire is what happens post season, as that is what he is really here for. 

• Like 2