8/29 game thread Sox vs Cubs 1:10 first pitch

southsider2k5

15 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

What was the story?  Just the usual Cub/Sox stuff or was there any more to it?

I've been to 8 home games this year and have seen more than 8 fights in the bleachers. There was a brawl today that went on for almost 10 minutes before security started taking away at least 1 guy (Cubs fan of course) in cuffs. 

It's not just Cubs/Sox it's been going on all year. Seems to be across sports this year and IMHO it's probably people going way too hard on the liquor after 1+ year of not being able to attend games in addition to heightened anxiety during COVID. 

If you are taking kids to the game I'd avoid the bleachers. If you really want to sit in outfield the right and right-center seats seem to be much tamer. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

I've been to 8 home games this year and have seen more than 8 fights in the bleachers. There was a brawl today that went on for almost 10 minutes before security started taking away at least 1 guy (Cubs fan of course) in cuffs. 

It's not just Cubs/Sox it's been going on all year. Seems to be across sports this year and IMHO it's probably people going way too hard on the liquor after 1+ year of not being able to attend games in addition to heightened anxiety during COVID. 

If you are taking kids to the game I'd avoid the bleachers. If you really want to sit in outfield the right and right-center seats seem to be much tamer. 

Yes at the games I have attended this year, when there has been visible fights, all of the have been in the bleachers. It can’t just be a coincidence.

38 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

So is sitting behind the White Sox bullpen with a young child a bad idea, being right next to the bleachers?  

My seats are in sect 159 next to the bleachers. I haven't seen a fight every game like the above poster has, but I have seen a couple. More security can help to solve this coupled with clearly posted rules and an announcement before every game that throwing items on the field or fighting could result in a life-time ban from the stadium.

(Maybe they already do that and I have been oblivious to it).

At the end of the day, excessive drinking is the problem.  Obviously  is much harder to prevent over serving fans in a ball park than it is at a restaurant or tavern and then dealing with fights in the middle of a very long bleacher.

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Sox need a bigger security presence in the bleachers.  Many fights out there this year.

1 hour ago, DoUEvenShift said:

Is this near/in the section(s) the Sox are selling two beers and a seat for $25?

Though these are light 4-5 percent ABV beers, between the sun, dehydration and pregaming / tailgating, things can get stupid quick. 

5 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

You'll be OK, just be aware. The drunk idiots just fight with each other. Your kid will hear some "new" words. 

Or just listen to Liam Hendriks and several other players who make liberal use of the F bomb during games.

• Fire 1

13 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Is this near/in the section(s) the Sox are selling two beers and a seat for $25?

Though these are light 4-5 percent ABV beers, between the sun, dehydration and pregaming / tailgating, things can get stupid quick. 

Section 159 has individual seats and several people who buy season tickets. Bleachers should be split in two  by another aisle and stairs for security, vending, and convenience. That might also alleviate some unnecessary interaction between fans.  The bleachers are just too long, in my opinion. It isn't the entire answer to fighting but it would help and have other usefulness

Perhaps the Cubs and Sox should consider assigning certain bleacher sections to the visiting team's fans.  That could help to separate fans, but I suppose it could also start a riot. OK forget that..

Edited by tray
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DoUEvenShift said:

You'll be OK, just be aware. The drunk idiots just fight with each other. Your kid will hear some "new" words. 

Ah, he’s three and was already screaming “Fucking Dallas Keuchel!” on Friday, watching the game at home.  

With him starting “preschool” this week, it’s probably a great time to his expand his vocabulary a little more.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tray said:

My seats are in sect 159 next to the bleachers. I haven't seen a fight every game like the above poster has, but I have seen a couple. More security can help to solve this coupled with clearly posted rules and an announcement before every game that throwing items on the field or fighting could result in a life-time ban from the stadium.

(Maybe they already do that and I have been oblivious to it).

At the end of the day, excessive drinking is the problem.  Obviously  is much harder to prevent over serving fans in a ball park than it is at a restaurant or tavern and then dealing with fights in the middle of a very long bleacher.

Has always been with large Sox crowds there are rowdy people. We are a buncha animals.

• Haha 1