Quintana Claimed by Giants

he gone.

Another reclaim project for the Giants ... this one does seem to have legs to it. Wouldn't have minded to see the Sox claim him to be honest. Owed $1.5mm for remainder of season. Despite his terrible ERA his underlying stats are closer to a 4ERA and has produced CSW and groundballs. He's been especially good out of the bullpen. Type of upside arm I think may have been worth the claim, if nothing else, he'd had a lot of success previously on the Southside. 

Wish him well, hopefully he gets his shot and performs for the Giants. 

Appears all of the MLB did. Giants have the best record. A bit surprising considering all the teams who need pitching and are chasing playoff spots. 

Particularly the Cardinals (happ, lester, etc.) , Mets (need arms), Padres ( i mean they took a look at arrieta), blue jays (need bullpen), reds (no bullpen at all) and rays (who love these type of fixer uppers). $1.5mm is a bit steep for a month of service, but some of those teams would have seemed to have some sort of upside.

I never understand front offices. Q has had his rough spots, but enough of a bright spot in the bullpen plus underlying stats +  track record. would seem worth it for somebody. 

Gotta have a roster spot you're willing to give him, and the Sox already have 3 guys they have to find spots for off the IL + a 3rd catcher to bring back up and only 2 spots open for roster expansion.

Are you willing to send down Lopez to get him? If not, then I don't see how you fit him in.

Not sure - i'm not going to be an expert on the roster gymnastics needed for him over the next month. is Ruiz/Wright an option to move one of those guys down for a Quintana? 

obviously doesn't matter hindsight. but i woulda been willing to move maybe one of those guys (not sure on options) to give Q a chance at the bullpen

Per Mlbtraderumors.com below:

Quintana has been rocked in the majority of his starts this season, but he holds a 3.93 ERA, a 28.6 percent strikeout rate and a tiny 3.9 percent walk rate in 18 1/3 frames as a reliever

He’s sporting a 3.90 SIERA and career-best marks in strikeout percentage (28.7), swinging-strike rate (11.9 percent) and opponents’ chase rate (32.6 percent). His 45.6 percent ground-ball mark, meanwhile, is his best since back in 2015 with the White Sox.

Just now, BrianAnderson said:

Not sure - i'm not going to be an expert on the roster gymnastics needed for him over the next month. is Ruiz/Wright an option to move one of those guys down for a Quintana? 

obviously doesn't matter hindsight. but i woulda been willing to move maybe one of those guys (not sure on options) to give Q a chance at the bullpen

Per Mlbtraderumors.com below:

Quintana has been rocked in the majority of his starts this season, but he holds a 3.93 ERA, a 28.6 percent strikeout rate and a tiny 3.9 percent walk rate in 18 1/3 frames as a reliever

He’s sporting a 3.90 SIERA and career-best marks in strikeout percentage (28.7), swinging-strike rate (11.9 percent) and opponents’ chase rate (32.6 percent). His 45.6 percent ground-ball mark, meanwhile, is his best since back in 2015 with the White Sox.

Has to be a 40 man spot too.