Have we ever had a player with as much raw talent as Luis Robert?

lostfan

21 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

LuBob is the best nickname he could ever have and it ain’t even close bro 😂

La Pantera has the tools to be the best Sox in history and a sweet ass logo.

LuBob is playing catch with Josh Fields and Nicky Delmonico.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, kleedawg said:

yep terrible arm because he hurt his shoulder playing FB at Auburn. He quit Fb because of the injury. Runner would go first move on our lefties, because Frank couldn't throw them out at 2b  Frank was also terrible at pop ups.

Frank throwing to second base almost always resulted in the ball hitting the grass in LF.  As you mentioned, he threw the ball like his arm was broken.

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am not going to say this lightly, but the man has Trout tools.  The big thing he needs to do is stay healthy.  If he can play 150 games a season, he will be an MVP level guy.  He has it all.  The Sox have never had a guy with the whole package like Luis has.  We have had a HOF hitter in Frank, but he couldn't field to save his life.  We have had insane defenders, who couldn't hit.  We had guys like Magglio Ordonez who fielded pretty well, and could hit the shit out of the ball, but didn't have ++ speed.

If Luis Robert stays healthy, he is a human cheat code.

They don’t call him La Pantera for nothing.  He is a big cat.

1 hour ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

I'm very encouraged both by this approach at the plate pre-injury, as well as the fact he's been able to build upon that success since coming back.

That said, it's incredibly premature to be asking questions about him being one of the best White Sox of all time.  The tools are there but there have been a ton of guys who have come into this league as 5-tool threats who just drifted out of the game without ever reaching their potential.  

I'm seriously excited for what he could do for this franchise but let's pump the brakes a bit on the GOAT talk until he plays an entire season or two.

I definitely understand what you're saying but this wasn't really what I was asking, I tried to be careful with how I worded it because it's still entirely possible he flames out, plus he hasn't actually *done* that much yet, having only played 97 MLB games so far. "Potential" is really hard to project in the majors but I cannot remember a time when a guy in the White Sox system has this many tools, graded this highly, checking as many boxes at each level of development as he has.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quin said:

La Pantera has the tools to be the best Sox in history and a sweet ass logo.

LuBob is playing catch with Josh Fields and Nicky Delmonico.

Too many syllables and it just doesn’t sound catchy.  How do 40k people chant that?

If I was his teammate he’d be LuBob.  There ain’t no way the guys in the clubhouse are calling him La Pantera.  I hope he gets 100 LuBobs a day in that dugout 😂

14 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

The answer I believe is still Frank Thomas because the tools he did have were so extreme that they make up for the ones he didn't have. But Robert is up there.

I believe the question as posed means all-around best player.  Frank Thomas will be remembered for his hit and power tools for sure.  Robert goes off the charts because of his 5 tool capabilities.

17 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I believe the question as posed means all-around best player.  Frank Thomas will be remembered for his hit and power tools for sure.  Robert goes off the charts because of his 5 tool capabilities.

He is saying that Frank's hit tool was so great that it made up for Frank's deficiencies.  

im not sure I will agree in a few years but right now I do. Luis needs to stay healthy and then he will very likely pass Thomas in that respect because he is so damn good in the outfield too

This thread is bad karma. Dude's gonna get hurt or go into a massive slump if this continues.

The guy sucks. He's never hit for the cycle, never had a 3 HR game, and hasn't magically transformed Eloy into a gold glove left fielder. Hell, he didn't even play 100 games his rookie season. What kind of superstar can't even play 100 games as a rookie?

Edited by WhiteSoxFan1993
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Because most of this forum wasn't alive then.

I've been a Sox fan since 1952 and Dick Allen had raw talent, he was a natural and was a 5 tool player, these guys don't grow on trees, a few others come to mind, Mays, Mantle, Clemente and Trout. 

When I look at Robert I see another 5 tool player with the raw talent and potential to become one of the greatest players in Sox history, lets hope he can stay healthy.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

28 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I've been a Sox fan since 1952 and Dick Allen had raw talent, he was a natural and was a 5 tool player, these guys don't grow on trees, a few others come to mind, Mays, Mantle, Clemente and Trout. 

When I look at Robert I see another 5 tool player with the raw talent and potential to become one of the greatest players in Sox history, lets hope he can stay healthy.

I agree with your comments.  Allen doesn't come to mind for today's fan because he didn't play the majority of his career with the WS.  He was a show stopper when it was his turn to bat.

8 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I agree with your comments.  Allen doesn't come to mind for today's fan because he didn't play the majority of his career with the WS.  He was a show stopper when it was his turn to bat.

Because he only played 3 years with the Sox, he never makes my all time White Sox team dispite having that great 1972 MVP year.

This is a tough question because I can only answer according to the players I have witnessed. I saw Dick Allen but was to young to judge talent so I would say Luis has the most raw talent. Imagine you were given a hat with these names and you get to keep the name you draw. Which would you hope you pick?

Luis

Ohtoni

Tatis, Jr.

Trout

A young healthy Bo Jackson

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SpringfieldFan said:

This is a tough question because I can only answer according to the players I have witnessed. I saw Dick Allen but was to young to judge talent so I would say Luis has the most raw talent. Imagine you were given a hat with these names and you get to keep the name you draw. Which would you hope you pick?

Luis

Ohtoni

Tatis, Jr.

Trout

A young healthy Bo Jackson

Without answering yet…don’t forget the names Acuna and Franco while making lists like this. Maybe Soto too?