Have we ever had a player with as much raw talent as Luis Robert?

lostfan

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

Good point bringing up Dick Allen. Robert obviously is special if he can stay healthy. Big Frank, Dick Allen, Robert and Eloy. Yes Eloy! He's also freakishly full of superstar potential. ... I don't mention Abreu, who is one of my all time faves, but I wouldn't balk if Abreu was on some sort of list of Sox studs.

I'm an Eloy fan and I think he's gonna be the best pure hitter this franchise has had since Frank but he's nowhere near as toolsy as Robert. All Robert's tools grade out at 70 or 80 (whether they all develop all the way into long-term MLB success is a whole other story) 

Edited by lostfan
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Olympic athletes are a whole other level than baseball players.  I loves me some of the Olympic sprinters and hurdlers.  Was  a HUGE Michael Johnson fan before Bolt came along and destroyed the Olympics.  The 400 M Hurdles mens race was my favorite Olympic moment this time around.

The 400M women's hurdles were pretty spectacular this year too

5 hours ago, Rusty_Kuntz said:

Similar to Ken Griffey Jr. Probably won't be quite that level of CF as he fills out. 

Griffey and Clemente are both good comps for Robert IMO...same body types and tools.  I'll be satisfied with Robert if he becomes close to comparable to either one of those guys.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lostfan said:

I'm an Eloy fan and I think he's gonna be the best pure hitter this franchise has had since Frank but he's nowhere near as toolsy as Robert. All Robert's tools grade out at 70 or 80 (whether they all develop all the way into long-term MLB success is a whole other story) 

Eloy is a crappy fielding Magglio.

3 hours ago, lostfan said:

You are probably right but I think Eloy's body type is different and special as well. The man is huge and by no means a lumbering ox.

4 hours ago, asindc said:

Good to see another T&F fan here.  Both 400mh races were sublime.  By the way, I think Michael Johnson would have made a great strong safety.

Back to topic.  Answering the thread title question, Robert is the most impressive 5-tool talent I’ve ever seen with the Sox.  Of course, Bo was past his prime when he got here, but prime Bo was the best overall athlete I’ve ever seen in football or baseball.

The women's 400mh was unreal. Talk about a really talented 24 year old. The best was the 800m where gold and silver were by 19 year Olds. It's the golden age for middle distance. The diamond league races since the Olympics hasn't disappointed.