2021 NFL Season Thread

16 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Usually. If it was just statement and no questions then, no. The other day he was asked a question about it and got into a back and forth with a reporter who kept trying to get more information about it, Even about whether it was about scheme as to release more information.

No, he was asked a question about who the starter would be and said he didn't want to talk about scheme, and Biggs correctly said that isn't scheme that is personnel.  He could have said we need to evaluate where Dalton was at before they make that decision, but instead he defected poorly 

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Wait, you're blaming the media here???

* I just heard the audio from Nagy. It was a full statement with no questions from the media. 

I think the reality is it is because he thinks Fields needs more time and he doesn't want to put him in too early where he hears voices, etc. Some of it might be he's gun shy after the Mitch piece and he obviously has recency bias the other way with Mahomes.  It is pretty clear FIelds has things he needs to work through (no surprise -> all young QB's do) its more of are they ready to put him in the best position to grow and learn from those mistakes.  I think he can but I always said I had no problem with the game plan and Dalton is much better than many Bear fans give him credit to be.  

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think the reality is it is because he thinks Fields needs more time and he doesn't want to put him in too early where he hears voices, etc. Some of it might be he's gun shy after the Mitch piece and he obviously has recency bias the other way with Mahomes.  It is pretty clear FIelds has things he needs to work through (no surprise -> all young QB's do) its more of are they ready to put him in the best position to grow and learn from those mistakes.  I think he can but I always said I had no problem with the game plan and Dalton is much better than many Bear fans give him credit to be.  

My problem with the Bears statements is what seems like this backroom promise to Dalton they can’t break. 

Andy Dalton has been fine in his very short time with the Bears. But the Bears don’t owe him anything. They’ve invested a ton into Fields. Clearly they feel like it’s time for Fields to play, rather than Foles, who is now the No. 2. I think that’s the right call. My point all along has been simply saying “Justin Fields is going to get the start Sunday. Whenever Andy comes back, we’re going to examine how the play of our QB’s have been up to that point and make a decision.” Is simple and should keep everyone happy. Instead it’s “When Andy is healthy he is our starting QB.” 

Why? What if Fields has three straight weeks of 300 yard, 3 TD’s games? Is Dalton going to be your starter in Week 6? My guess is “Hell no” so then why make that statement now? 

52 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

No, he was asked a question about who the starter would be and said he didn't want to talk about scheme, and Biggs correctly said that isn't scheme that is personnel.  He could have said we need to evaluate where Dalton was at before they make that decision, but instead he defected poorly 

I would say it is scheme in that situation. The scheme for Dalton should be very different than for Fields. Of course with Nagy you never know. 

the same ideas apply to the questions about personnel though. The reporters don't need to know that information. As a matter of fact it could be a HIPPA violation except for the information required to be sent to the league.

58 minutes ago, Tony said:

My problem with the Bears statements is what seems like this backroom promise to Dalton they can’t break. 

Andy Dalton has been fine in his very short time with the Bears. But the Bears don’t owe him anything. They’ve invested a ton into Fields. Clearly they feel like it’s time for Fields to play, rather than Foles, who is now the No. 2. I think that’s the right call. My point all along has been simply saying “Justin Fields is going to get the start Sunday. Whenever Andy comes back, we’re going to examine how the play of our QB’s have been up to that point and make a decision.” Is simple and should keep everyone happy. Instead it’s “When Andy is healthy he is our starting QB.” 

Why? What if Fields has three straight weeks of 300 yard, 3 TD’s games? Is Dalton going to be your starter in Week 6? My guess is “Hell no” so then why make that statement now? 

I think it is the opposite. If Fields is just okay, he wants to be able to go back to Dalton without implying FIelds failed, etc.  Reality is I think he's putting this narrative out there to try and protect Fields a bit.  Odds Fields just goes out and crushes it is probably slim and Bears may go back to Dalton in 2 weeks when he is 100% because what they see just further validates they want Fields to have more time.  Their statements that Dalton is the starter if healthy at least imply that to be the case and let Fields just do what he does.  I think the Chargers treated things similarly before Herbert exploded.  

28 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think it is the opposite. If Fields is just okay, he wants to be able to go back to Dalton without implying FIelds failed, etc.  Reality is I think he's putting this narrative out there to try and protect Fields a bit.  Odds Fields just goes out and crushes it is probably slim and Bears may go back to Dalton in 2 weeks when he is 100% because what they see just further validates they want Fields to have more time.  Their statements that Dalton is the starter if healthy at least imply that to be the case and let Fields just do what he does.  I think the Chargers treated things similarly before Herbert exploded.  

That’s a fair point, but if Fields is even decent he should stick at starter. If he struggles, everyone will know it, including him, and it should make sense to go back to Dalton is he’s really that bad.

Fields being good solves all these issues 

32 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Again he could have deflected it correctly, instead he made it awkward for himself.  I don't believe the reporter asking about who the starter was would be a HIPPA violation but whatever 

Just that isn't related to HIPPA. However, the reporter saying that the QB decision isn't scheme related could easily have gone down that path if Nagy hadn't cut him off. This is where the awkwardness came from. If the reporter had just it go, it wouldn't have gone there.

1 minute ago, Tony said:

That’s a fair point, but if Fields is even decent he should stick at starter. If he struggles, everyone will know it, including him, and it should make sense to go back to Dalton is he’s really that bad.

I think they are trying to protect Fields as well but more for the future. Fields has looked very indecisive and they know he will get smothered consistently behind the current offensive line. All of which could lead to bad habits, if not injury. Dalton will get the ball out much faster. The whole process should be about what is best for Fields' development. Sitting back there and getting hit consistently is not the best. I know I'm old but I like what Rivera said in Washington, "we will get the team ready to support the QB first." Paraphrasing, of course.

14 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I think they are trying to protect Fields as well but more for the future. Fields has looked very indecisive and they know he will get smothered consistently behind the current offensive line. All of which could lead to bad habits, if not injury. Dalton will get the ball out much faster. The whole process should be about what is best for Fields' development. Sitting back there and getting hit consistently is not the best. I know I'm old but I like what Rivera said in Washington, "we will get the team ready to support the QB first." Paraphrasing, of course.

This - and I'll go on record saying that Trevor Lawrence and Wilson getting fed to the wolves isn't the best thing for their development either. In general, I lean towards a bit more time is better than throwing people out too quickly. I think the risk of bad habits and the set backs that come with getting out there too soon are > than risk that you take a bit too long to get a guy ready. No one ever failed by waiting a season or half a season but I think many people have failed by getting pushed in too soon that they built in bad habits, etc or just didn't have the right system around them yet to be in the right position to succeed, grow and learn.  

Personally -> I just didn't love the idea of Fields playing against Browns & Rams early with a makeshift line, knowing his challenge is he tends to hold on too long vs. not. I think he benefits from watching Dalton get rid of the ball quickly, work his way through the pocket, etc.  I still think the Bears have a real asset in Dalton and his injury was costly.  I think they could have dealt Dalton in a few weeks, moved Foles to back-up, started Fields and probably got a decent pick for Dalton.  

Washington (less likely given early return on Heinecke), Miami could be two potential destinations of teams that have defenses built to contend and ? at offense.  Texans could be another spot, although I doubt they would give up much and who knows who else might go down along the way.  Dalton was showing he's still pretty damn solid in his 1 and 1 quarter game action.  I hope his injury isn't serious because I would love to get a 3rd or 4th rounder at some point for him (not likely but you never know).  

32 minutes ago, MexSoxFan#1 said:

Fields looks totally unprepared,  who could've guessed 🙄

Honestly, I’m not even ready to say Fields looks unprepared. It almost is like Nagy isn’t ready/doesn’t know what to do with him. 

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

Honestly, I’m not even ready to say Fields looks unprepared. It almost is like Nagy isn’t ready/doesn’t know what to do with him. 

That's what I meant, as in it's the coach's job to prepare his young QB

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

5 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Nagy needs to end the play calling experiment.   It's proven that he is not adept at it, despite what he thinks 

I feel this is the type of game that should get him fired a lot more than losing with Dalton. This looks like a college team facing a pro team.