2021 NFL Season Thread

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

What does it say about the Bears offense that the Texans put up 21 points on this Browns defense with Tyrod Taylor and Davis Mills? 

Do the Bears even have an offense?

This offense reminds me of the pathetic Bear offenses of the Seventies. The defense would get a turnover, and then tell the offense "to hold them."

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

They have no line and no weapons to go around him.  By the time they might be able to build a team around him, he will be gone.

How often do good QBs leave via free agency?  Very few.  How many of those QBs who left were actually young?  Honestly, I can’t think of anyone who fits that narrative other than Drew Brees.  Getting a franchise QB is all that matters at the moment and trading for Fields was a no-brainer for us.  No doubt they need to prioritize all resources to building around Fields over the next couple offseasons, but it’s 100% doable with time and hopefully a new regime in place.

Personally, I felt Fields should not see any game action yet from the beginning. They also felt he was not ready by naming Dalton the starter. If they didn’t feel he was ready for starting, they should have stayed consistent in that, not throwing him out there against a great defense in their house. 

He’s going to play shitty until Dalton returns and Fields goes back to the bench and nobody will know if it’s because he’s not ready or because he’s just not good. His confidence will be sapped. 

Edited by Chi Town Sox

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How often do good QBs leave via free agency?  Very few.  How many of those QBs who left were actually young?  Honestly, I can’t think of anyone who fits that narrative other than Drew Brees.  Getting a franchise QB is all that matters at the moment and trading for Fields was a no-brainer for us.  No doubt they need to prioritize all resources to building around Fields over the next couple offseasons, but it’s 100% doable with time and hopefully a new regime in place.

Why will he want to stick around?

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

They have no line and no weapons to go around him.  By the time they might be able to build a team around him, he will be gone.

Mooney and Robinson were supposed to be who the weapons were and the tight end experiment was supposed to yield results. If I’m looking at their line I’m thinking about the problem with the tackles and evaluating if Mustipher, Whitehair and Daniels are who they should build the line around.

2 hours ago, Chi Town Sox said:

Personally, I felt Fields should not see any game action yet from the beginning. They also felt he was not ready by naming Dalton the starter. If they didn’t feel he was ready for starting, they should have stayed consistent in that, not throwing him out there against a great defense in their house. 

He’s going to play shitty until Dalton returns and Fields goes back to the bench and nobody will know if it’s because he’s not ready or because he’s just not good. His confidence will be sapped. 

Had Dalton remained healthy, I had hoped Fields wouldn’t see action until the fourth or fifth week.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Fan base was praying for a month that the cute new QB would fix all that was wrong with the offense and offensive personnel.  It's what football fans do.  Dumasses.  If we're lucky, we'll have White Sox baseball to hold our interest for another 5 weeks.  Then count the days until pitchers and catchers report.  Don't waste your time on the Bears.  Get a reading list.  Join a film review group.  Take up a hobby.

Yep and now fans will call for Nagy and Pace to be fired but yet they do not know how long their contracts are. The Bears ownership may opt for continuity with the coaching staff and front office how ever unpopular that may be.

Edited by The Beast

5 hours ago, SoxAce said:

This was beautiful. 

Absolutely, Nagy has proven that he cannot build an adequate NFL offense, he hasn't been able to build schemes specifically to the strengths of any of his QBs, his playcalling is pathetic, he can't make adjustments during games and he will ruin Fields before he even has a chance to get started. Yesterday's putrid offensive effort alone should get him fired, let alone the 9 sacks his offensive line gave up, putting at risk the health of the franchise QB. 

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

13 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

They really should play Foles until Dalton returns, if for nothing else but Fields health. Let him run a few plays like he did the first couple games. Ryan Pace is the only GM trying to win that could downgrade an offensive line with Leno and Massey the starting tackles.

Right now, Fields should be standing on the sidelines holding a clip board. Otherwise, it is a minor miracle the Bears have one win, and they did all they could to blow that one. It's been a long time since the franchise has been in this bad a shape. It has also been a long time since they have won a playoff game, and it will be a long time before they win another.

I have no idea if Justin Fields will ever be a star. He is off the carts athletically but so is Mitch, so was Bobby Douglass, so was Vince Evans. But the Bears have to do the most they can do to hopefully allow that to happen. First, Nagy isn't going to get him there. I mentioned this before in Bears threads. My buddy is a football genius. He really is. Watching a game with him is so interesting.  He told me near the end of Nagys first season when I think he was coach of the year and everyone was so happy the Bears finally had an offensive guru, that trouble was near. The league had caught up and Nagy had no answers. It has played out just like he said. And the guy who puts an offensive line together which features a 40 year old who would rather be sitting on his couch trying to block Garrett needs to go as well. That is Ryan Pace. It is no secret this duo has needed to go for a long time, and the Bears being the Bears will waste season after season until they have no other choice. I know the Bears will never win a playoff game with Matt Nagy as HC. I think the odds are stacked against them ever winning one with Pace as the GM.

I

Forget Nagy, he is a branch off of the tree of this front office.  Literally everyone who is Matt Nagy and above should be fired already.  Get all of the way up to Ted Phillips.  This organization is rotted, and needs to be uprooted and started over.  Nagy is just a part of the problem.  You know how people talk about "team wins", this weekend was an "organization loss".  Burn it to the ground.

• Fire 1

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Forget Nagy, he is a branch off of the tree of this front office.  Literally everyone who is Matt Nagy and above should be fired already.  Get all of the way up to Ted Phillips.  This organization is rotted, and needs to be uprooted and started over.  Nagy is just a part of the problem.  You know how people talk about "team wins", this weekend was an "organization loss".  Burn it to the ground.

The McCaskeys are forever indebted to Phillips because he delivered them a refurbished Soldier Field. But he shouldn't be making football decisions.  I would imagine he is going nowhere at least until the Arlington Park thing and negotiations with the city for an enhanced Soldier Field are done. At least if you fire Nagy today, you get something different on the field next week.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The McCaskeys are forever indebted to Phillips because he delivered them a refurbished Soldier Field. But he shouldn't be making football decisions.  I would imagine he is going nowhere at least until the Arlington Park thing and negotiations with the city for an enhanced Soldier Field are done. At least if you fire Nagy today, you get something different on the field next week.

It does you no good to install a new coach with the same front office calling the shots. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Fold the franchise and relaunch it with new owners

14 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It does you no good to install a new coach with the same front office calling the shots. 

In the short term, no. But it finally shows your players and fans that accountability is coming and this is the beginning.  They aren't going to the playoffs this season no matter who is coaching, but get the Nagy stench off them as soon as possible.  Start making your GM list, and as soon as they are eliminated tell Ryan Pace you need him to turn in his Halas Hall key card. I would love if they gave Ted a golden parachute and told him to scram, but 2 out of 3 is better than 0 or 1. We know they can make the Super Bowl in spite of Phillips because they once did. But Nagy and Pace  have had numerous chances and failed each time. They don't have a first round pick next year, the one they traded may even be higher than the pick they acquired. 

Edited by Dick Allen

46 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I have no idea if Justin Fields will ever be a star. He is off the carts athletically but so is Mitch, so was Bobby Douglass, so was Vince Evans. But the Bears have to do the most they can do to hopefully allow that to happen. First, Nagy isn't going to get him there. I mentioned this before in Bears threads. My buddy is a football genius. He really is. Watching a game with him is so interesting.  He told me near the end of Nagys first season when I think he was coach of the year and everyone was so happy the Bears finally had an offensive guru, that trouble was near. The league had caught up and Nagy had no answers. It has played out just like he said. And the guy who puts an offensive line together which features a 40 year old who would rather be sitting on his couch trying to block Garrett needs to go as well. That is Ryan Pace. It is no secret this duo has needed to go for a long time, and the Bears being the Bears will waste season after season until they have no other choice. I know the Bears will never win a playoff game with Matt Nagy as HC. I think the odds are stacked against them ever winning one with Pace as the GM.

I

They really should have built the team from the inside out, o line first. Nagy might have an offense if any of his QBs had time to run it. Instead they got obsessed with the offensive toys and there is no time to use them.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 2