2021 NFL Season Thread

6 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Score less than 20 points a game? 

Good run game, destroy the clock on the other team. No they did not score a lot but this was a good performence! It works as long as the defense works - this doesnt work if Aaron Rodgers drops 30+ on you. To be fair.

However can we talk a little bit about the Brazilian Placekicking Beast aka Cairo Santos? 

2 minutes ago, South Sider said:

Good run game, destroy the clock on the other team. No they did not score a lot but this was a good performence! It works as long as the defense works - this doesnt work if Aaron Rodgers drops 30+ on you. To be fair.

However can we talk a little bit about the Brazilian Placekicking Beast aka Cairo Santos? 

I thought they played that style real well in the first half, but they couldn't keep the running game going in the 2nd half and Fields made some big throws to get them to 17 points on the 2nd to last drive. With how bad the Raiders played, this game probably should have been over in the 3rd, but the play calling there wasn't real good. 

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

That was fun. Running game was strong and they played within themselves. Fields wasn’t great but he made enough plays and protected the football. Defense was stellar. 

I thought he made a lot of bad choices when deciding to throw or tuck and run, but that comes with experience. His throw on that 3rd and long late in game was good....and maybe the worst defense imaginable 

12 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

They were stopped short on a few short yardage 3rd downs. With the Raiders being pretty ineffective on offense I can understand why the Bears were playing it safer.

The Bears seem like the kind of team where a 10 point difference is almost insurmountable, whether behind or ahead.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

It still shocks me Gruden was on the sidelines for that game with what came out. Of course the league has known about this for quite awhile and kept it a secret.

It keeps looking worse and worse every minute 

That was a very good win.  Most impressed by our Dline's performance without Hicks.

It isn't amazing, because the reason is obvious, but seriously it is so drastic how functional our run game looks when Lazer has called plays vs. Nagy.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

That was a very good win.  Most impressed by our Dline's performance without Hicks.

It isn't amazing, because the reason is obvious, but seriously it is so drastic how functional our run game looks when Lazer has called plays vs. Nagy.

I'm not saying that Lazor doesn't make a difference, but so far he's been the playcaller against the Lions and Raiders. Let's see how he does this week.

One major reason why I've been opposed to starting Fields too early is Matt Nagy’s moronic playcalling.

Hes too pass-happy, especially with a young QB, a struggling O-Line, and a lack of depth in quality at the skill positions.

But Lazor appears to understand much better than Nagy that they've got to use the run to bridge their myriad weaknesses, and to allow the game to come to Justin Fields. Here's hoping that IF they continue to start Fields that they continue to run the fucking ball, and let the game come to him.

OTOH, if Matt Nagy stoopidly goes back to throwing every chance he gets, especially against Aaron Rogers, the Bears will get crushed, and Fields will get injured. Getting into a shootout with this QB, that O-line, and those skill position players is a bad idea, IMO. At least, at this point in Fields' development.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

On 10/10/2021 at 3:40 PM, chw42 said:

Raiders trying their best to injure Fields. 

Pretty weak to see anyone trying to do things like that.  They probably saw what Smith was purposely doing on the Bears side and were doing it back.  Or Smith started doing it back after.  Who knows.  I just know there were multiple times in the game he was leading with his shoulder to the head, intentionally.  Pretty shitty watching it.  After the hit on Carr, there were at least three other times where he tried again on other Raider players.

2 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

One major reason why I've been opposed to starting Fields too early is Matt Nagy’s moronic playcalling.

Hes too pass-happy, especially with a young QB, a struggling O-Line, and a lack of depth in quality at the skill positions.

But Lazor appears to understand much better than Nagy that they've got to use the run to bridge their myriad weaknesses, and to allow the game to come to Justin Fields. Here's hoping that IF they continue to start Fields that they continue to run the fucking ball, and let the game come to him.

OTOH, if Matt Nagy stoopidly goes back to throwing every chance he gets, especially against Aaron Rogers, the Bears will get crushed, and Fields will get injured. Getting into a shootout with this QB, that O-line, and those skill position players is a bad idea, IMO. At least, at this point in Fields' development.

With the way Rogers usually scores points, they may not have a choice.

45 minutes ago, ptatc said:

With the way Rogers usually scores points, they may not have a choice.

Well, ya gotta hope that the Bears don't fall behind early. The packers looked extremely ordinary against New Orleans, who chose to run against them. 

OTOH, SF, Pittsburgh, and now Cincy all tried throwing it 35 times or more, and all lost to them. 

I maintain that successfully running the ball keeps Rogers off the field, keeps the defense rested, and keeps Fields upright. We'll see.

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I hadn't seen the emails were beyond the remarks that leaked a few days ago. Must be weird to have a homophobic head coach if you're Carl Nassib. 

According to PFT, the nfl was leaking them and we’re going to keep doing it until he was fired

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Well, ya gotta hope that the Bears don't fall behind early. The packers looked extremely ordinary against New Orleans, who chose to run against them. 

OTOH, SF, Pittsburgh, and now Cincy all tried throwing it 35 times or more, and all lost to them. 

I maintain that successfully running the ball keeps Rogers off the field, keeps the defense rested, and keeps Fields upright. We'll see.

This is always the best option in my opinion too. But as I said, it doesn't work against really good offenses who score quickly.