2021 NFL Season Thread

I don’t do it often but I gave up at halftime. Disaster is all I can say. No salvage. I said in Browns game go these lows happen, but today against that Bucs defense with no secondary it highlights how bad everything offensive is. From Fields to the lack of pure talent. 

Bears need to be building for future and work on moving any part not expected around next year or year after. 

1 hour ago, lostfan said:

You can see the look on Fields's face, he looks stressed out and desperate trying to make something happen but the offense around him is worthless. Should he be getting rid of the ball faster, yes, should he be protecting the ball when he's pressured, yes, but... every play? At that point he might as well just never pass. A game like today, or the Browns game, you have to wonder if there's even anything useful on tape for him to learn from.

This. I lol at how many people lauded the off-season wideout additions. Oh that guy ran a 4.3..he must be good…no that doesn’t make someone good. They need to actually be good. 

Man - can’t we bears fans have one nice thing. How many years in a row without any real offense. Ugh - one time they had marshall, Jeffery, Bennett and Forte and a good qb but no line and the weakest head coach I’ve ever seen. 

Blow it all up…please McCaskey. Blow it up and invest in the offense..:if Fields sucks two years from now at least the next QB we draft or acquire will have some pieces to work with. 

I was talking to a buddy last night, but it’s amazing how painfully obvious it is that Nagy needs to go and yet the Bears are unlikely to do anything until the offseason.  What good does it do keeping Nagy around for another 10 games?  He has proven to be incompetent as an NFL head coach and play-caller and is hindering the development of the most critical member of the organization in Justin Fields.  I know getting rid of Nagy right now doesn’t fix the O-Line problems and the lack of weapons, but anything is better than accepting pure incompetence at the head coach spot.  Oh well, at least I have the Titans to cheer for while the Bears front office continues to ignore an obvious problem at hand.

10 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

This. I lol at how many people lauded the off-season wideout additions. Oh that guy ran a 4.3..he must be good…no that doesn’t make someone good. They need to actually be good. 

Who lauded the off-season WR additions besides Ryan Pace?

8 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Man - can’t we bears fans have one nice thing. How many years in a row without any real offense. Ugh - one time they had marshall, Jeffery, Bennett and Forte and a good qb but no line and the weakest head coach I’ve ever seen. 

Blow it all up…please McCaskey. Blow it up and invest in the offense..:if Fields sucks two years from now at least the next QB we draft or acquire will have some pieces to work with. 

I remember a Sun-Times story about the Bears around 1970. They described the Bears offense this way: First down-run. Second down-run. Third down-Pass. Fourth down-Punt. It is amazing some  50 years later, the Bears offense is what it is.

22 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Everybody except Fields and Roquan should be available if the price is right.

I meant firing Nagy, not trading players.  NFL trades, while they have been become more frequent the last few years, typically just don't allow a team to rebuild and acquire picks on the fly like other leagues. It would be nice but I'm not counting on it

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I meant firing Nagy, not trading players.  NFL trades, while they have been become more frequent the last few years, typically just don't allow a team to rebuild and acquire picks on the fly like other leagues. It would be nice but I'm not counting on it

Yes Nagy should be fired, but I don't have confidence in Pace to pick the right replacement, nor in the team executives to pick the right GM should Pace get fired.

8 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Yes Nagy should be fired, but I don't have confidence in Pace to pick the right replacement, nor in the team executives to pick the right GM should Pace get fired.

If Nagy is fired then Pace won't be far behind.  I think they might let him finish the season but I cannot imagine them letting him pick a 3rd HC

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Not a good 24 hours for Matt Nagy.

It seems a little too convenient that he tests positive now. Takes some heat off him, and gives the McCaskeys a little glimpse of how the rest of the season would go if they did the right thing , something that was obvious long ago, and canned him.

28 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It seems a little too convenient that he tests positive now. Takes some heat off him, and gives the McCaskeys a little glimpse of how the rest of the season would go if they did the right thing , something that was obvious long ago, and canned him.

He's vaxxed so he could be back by Sunday no?

Brady threw his 600th TD pass yesterday. The receiver didn’t know and gave it to a guy who was wearing his jersey in the end zone stands. They negotiated a new game used ball and a $1000 gift card to the teams gift shop. If you are ever in this situation, hold out. The ball has an estimated worth of $500,000 according to an auctioneer.

27 minutes ago, raBBit said:

He's vaxxed so he could be back by Sunday no?

He needs 2 negative tests 24 hours apart to return.  If it's a false positive he should be back, but if not I think it takes a while to leave your system. Most of the real quick comebacks were false positives or close contacts. 

2 hours ago, raBBit said:

The vast majority of the Bears are vaccinated and they are going into week 3 of an outbreak with new cases coming out. 

I'd be surprised if they would lie about fake vax cards with the legal issues.  All this says is that the vaccine isn't going to completely stop you from getting Covid.   5-6 guys over a few week span with hundreds of people in the building and in close contact isn't that much of an outbreak.  

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I still like Fields - but obviously I would have liked to thinks go better for him to start. I think he has the right attitude and intangibles. I agree with others that he doesn't look near as explosive as I expected (given his 40 speed) but I think that is because he is thinking too much out there.  I also go back to this is not the right offense / set-up for a rookie QB, especially one with Fields skill sets and current limitations.  Tony Romo was brutal in the 1st half re: what the Bears were doing with Fields and I think it is pretty clear to everyone how bad this offensive scheme is.  

This team is probably a 7/8/9th best team in NFC as I think the defense is actually pretty good (nothing they could have done on Sunday) and Dalton can make this offense look okay enough....but the whole point is this is an awful offense to actually develop anyone in and beyond that the skill position talent and oline remain weak.  If you want to go all in on offense, than show it and start doing it.

I don't know that getting rid of Nagy now vs. later changes anything unfortunately until the off-season, but it might. I also don't think Lazor is amazing and he is stuck inheriting what he has in terms of a really weak offensive scheme.