2021 NFL Season Thread

I think Fields is plenty quick. He just doesn’t have the instinct to take off. Maybe it is because he doesn’t want to be labeled a run first QB or something else. But with this offense, he either hangs in and gets killed, or takes off and doesn’t develop. Lose Nagy, lose Pace. Bring in someone who puts an emphasis on the offensive line which the Bears have been neglecting for years. Fix that, and they could bring John Fox back with his 1980s offense, and he would look like a guru compared to Nagy.

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think Fields is plenty quick. He just doesn’t have the instinct to take off. Maybe it is because he doesn’t want to be labeled a run first QB or something else. But with this offense, he either hangs in and gets killed, or takes off and doesn’t develop. Lose Nagy, lose Pace. Bring in someone who puts an emphasis on the offensive line which the Bears have been neglecting for years. Fix that, and they could bring John Fox back with his 1980s offense, and he would look like a guru compared to Nagy.

This - and a lot of plays were blown up from the start. I mean I think he got clobbered in under 2 seconds on two of the plays he fumbled.  That is non-existent and maybe part of that is on the rookie in not getting the right protections set, etc, but man the offense seems to be so focused on making someone an adept pocket passer which is just no place to put almost any rookie QB.  Same thing we saw with Trubisky where they kept pushing a square peg round hole element.  

There should be a lot more designed runs - designed quick hitters - designed clean reads, etc. Even if it is - go here and here and if neither throw away type of deals.  You have to build that in to having a young QB vs. Nagy just seems to say we are going to do it my way or no way. I just can't get his quote - this is year 4 so now people finally shouldn't understand this offense enough to make it work. I know it was probably a garbage quote from him - but still - I have to believe there is some truth to how absolutely delusional he is.  

I am all in on grabbing the Bills guy - but I imagine he may prefer some other destinations out there. The good news is there is no legit #1 QB in this years draft - and the Bears are probably the only team with a high draft pick at QB this past year who are going to have a new head coach, so that might work its way in their favor when it comes to landing its next HC (or even GM for that matter).  '

Pats = No

Niners = No (and if they did - I'll take him as our HC haha)

Jets = No (not after 1 year)

Jags = Maybe = but it is still Jags (Bears have to be a better destination vs. them)

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

This - and a lot of plays were blown up from the start. I mean I think he got clobbered in under 2 seconds on two of the plays he fumbled.  That is non-existent and maybe part of that is on the rookie in not getting the right protections set, etc, but man the offense seems to be so focused on making someone an adept pocket passer which is just no place to put almost any rookie QB.  Same thing we saw with Trubisky where they kept pushing a square peg round hole element.  

There should be a lot more designed runs - designed quick hitters - designed clean reads, etc. Even if it is - go here and here and if neither throw away type of deals.  You have to build that in to having a young QB vs. Nagy just seems to say we are going to do it my way or no way. I just can't get his quote - this is year 4 so now people finally shouldn't understand this offense enough to make it work. I know it was probably a garbage quote from him - but still - I have to believe there is some truth to how absolutely delusional he is.  

The fumbling is a huge concern though. Even when he hasn’t officially fumbled, the ball seems to pop loose a bit too often. Not getting hit all the time could be a cure.

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Brady threw his 600th TD pass yesterday. The receiver didn’t know and gave it to a guy who was wearing his jersey in the end zone stands. They negotiated a new game used ball and a $1000 gift card to the teams gift shop. If you are ever in this situation, hold out. The ball has an estimated worth of $500,000 according to an auctioneer.

They would of had to pry that ball from my dead hands. 

2 hours ago, Chi Town Sox said:

I'd be surprised if they would lie about fake vax cards with the legal issues.  All this says is that the vaccine isn't going to completely stop you from getting Covid.   5-6 guys over a few week span with hundreds of people in the building and in close contact isn't that much of an outbreak.  

For sure. I don't believe the fake vax card conspiracy. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, raBBit said:

The vast majority of the Bears are vaccinated and they are going into week 3 of an outbreak with new cases coming out. 

You do know you can still get and transmit Covid even if you are vaccinated, right?  It just lessens the severity of the infection.  So I'm not sure why players testing positive is coming as a surprise to anyone at this point. 

8 hours ago, soulfly said:

You do know you can still get and transmit Covid even if you are vaccinated, right?  It just lessens the severity of the infection.  So I'm not sure why players testing positive is coming as a surprise to anyone at this point. 

Never said anything to the contrary of this.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32486646/los-angeles-rams-owner-stan-kroenke-angers-nfl-owners-financial-pivot-related-lawsuit-st-louis-move-sources-say

I wonder if this will have effects on how much league may help Bears with new stadium. Trend has been toward financial assistance from league, but we'll see if that changes.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32486646/los-angeles-rams-owner-stan-kroenke-angers-nfl-owners-financial-pivot-related-lawsuit-st-louis-move-sources-say

I wonder if this will have effects on how much league may help Bears with new stadium. Trend has been toward financial assistance from league, but we'll see if that changes.

Lmao fuck Kroenke.  That guy should be on the hook for everything 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

With all the QB's sucking/getting hurt around the league, how is Nick Foles still on the Bears' payroll?

Because it costs more to cut him and nobody wants to give the bears anything of value, probably 

SO I don't know what to take of this - but evidently the NFL has changed the rules around hiring new coaches and when you can interview potential head coaching candidates. Long story short - 2 weeks before the regular season ends - teams who have open vacancies can begin INTERVIEWING new candidates via zoom (virtually).  This does require the other team to give permission and the hiring team obviously would have had to ax its coach.  

The new rule is immediately going into effect and evidently McCaskey sits on the committee that made this happen.  I don't know whether teams will give permission or not for this. On one hand - you can move forward and meet candidates sooner, on the other hand, that is a lot of noise to juggle, especially for teams who may not be shoe-in's for the playoffs. That said - maybe there is a benefit to those teams that are already in where there assistants can get some stuff squared away better during regular season vs. in midst of post-season.  

Will be interesting to see if this causes teams to aggressively increase who they can and when (vs. waiting until the Monday after the season ends).