2021 NFL Season Thread

21 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yeah I jinxed it.  Meanwhile, this might be the most incompetent defensive half I’ve seen from the Bears, considering the opponent.

Yeah - defense just stunk. From the big play they gave up in final drive of second half straight to finish. But I could care less about that. Fields took some bad sacks at times and missed on some passes but he also made some plays. I’ll take it cause quite frankly all I care about this year is Fields getting better. 

Offensive play calling was too predictable in 2nd half. Too much first down running vs mixing in some better mix. They got super conservative late too. That final drive before they handed it back to Niners was not pretty. 

6 hours ago, The Beast said:

Hey Bears fans! It’s Matt Nagy’s fault! Oh wait, he wasn’t even there. I blame the defense for the loss today. They are just a bad team that will probably result in Nagy getting fired when I blame Pace more than Nagy.

Pace and Nagy both suck

edit: the offense did manage to actually crack 20 points with Nagy gone!

Edited by StrangeSox

15 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

Pace and Nagy both suck

edit: the offense did manage to actually crack 20 points with Nagy gone!

Yeah, so they suck. I’m not saying I saw it here, but it is lazy analysis to just focus on those two individuals when the team itself is flawed too. 

19 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Yeah, so they suck. I’m not saying I saw it here, but it is lazy analysis to just focus on those two individuals when the team itself is flawed too. 

Wait a second man, one is entirely responsible for putting that team together and another has a lot of input in putting the team together.

Well, if anyone dreamt of a big package coming back for Mack, that should be a gut punch. Not only injured, but also a tough match with the amount a team needs to acquire.

Though, I think bigger issue is the foot uncertainty. 

3 hours ago, The Beast said:

2 of the 4 highest paid Bears offensive players are Foles and Graham. Ithink you can blame  both Pace and Nagy for that. And for some reason, they forgot they have Robinson on the roster.

So i was a grump all last week - this week I will take a glass half full approach. I saw a QB who settled down and got rid of the ball quicker, he went to his 2nd and 3rd read at times, and he actually flashed the 40 time we all knew he had.  Like legit flashed it.  I also was not surprised it coincided with him actually having a bit of time to breathe where he wasn't getting drilled from start to finish.  

This was a good game - because there were more flashes of good than bad. Yes, 22 points isn't enough, but this season is about the little things and the signs in the longer game -> knowing/hoping that there are one or two offensive explosions to come as well.  I keep thinking Robinson will get himself going again (I Know he has been playing through some type of injury - don't know what - but maybe they need to rest him a game or two or something).  

I am excited still for the final 6 or so games of the season. At that point - Borom will hopefully have a few more starts under his belt and be showing us something and we will be in a spot where we can see Jenkins and where he is. If somehow Borom and Jenkins can be good tackles - we could start to see a much different shape of the offense start to take place, one where maybe they are a good center away from having an above average unit, which quietly starts to put Fields in a position where with him, Montgomery, and Herbert, we are talking about a nice core of weapons to protect the QB.  

At that point - offseason priorities become finding an addition lineman, deciding whether Daniel's is where you role (or making another upgrade on oline via FA at guard) and than looking at how to massively upgrade the skill position front on offense.  Quite frankly - if Fields can be the real deal and the Bears get some luck/good scouting/whatever - this line could actually shift quickly (and yes - I am way too optimistic on Borom after one game where I didn't notice him - that doesn't mean he was great, but not noticing him is usually a good sign for a lineman), than just looking at finding some wideouts puts the offense in a decent spot or at least gets a good foundation faster than we expect. 

Note: Above is a glass half view on the offense and where it might head. I am no longer talking about the coaching staff - because I assume we will have a new staff unless we see a major offensive explosion in 2nd half of the season.  

At WR - Presuming Robinson is out, Mooney is the only keeper at wideout.  Mooney was probably overrated, but he's still a legit #2 wideout and Kmet isn't an explosive TE but he's a solid TE (and if you add another TE the combo of them will be dynamite with a QB like Fields).  Finding a top wideout isn't easy - but they could hopefully address position in 2 years time with their FRP (if they can't upgrade via FA, etc).  That said - Robinson and Fields figuring things out in 2nd half of the year would be nice -> cause than the team can be looking at adding one more legit wideout and actually making the WR corps above average (vs. below avg).  

29 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

2 of the 4 highest paid Bears offensive players are Foles and Graham. Ithink you can blame  both Pace and Nagy for that. And for some reason, they forgot they have Robinson on the roster.

This is what gives me some excitement.  Borom, Jenkins, Montgomery, Herbert, Mooney, Kmet and Fields are all young players with arrows pointing up. I don't think anyone other than Fields has the skill set to be a star, but the rest give me hope at being solid to above average players.  Some are complete hopes - basically buying on Borom's solid preseason (when healthy) and one game - so I am way too optimistic and way too soon on that and in the case of Jenkins it is entirely on his draft status (since he has yet to be healthy in a Bear uniform).

Of course - they could all end up / most could bust & be mediocre, but somehow - I will tell myself this will be different.  When you combine that with the contracts coming off books in next year or two - and things will be very interesting for whomever is calling the shots starting this offseason.  

7 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Wait a second man, one is entirely responsible for putting that team together and another has a lot of input in putting the team together.

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Okay but those statements are not lazy analysis. Usually fans just sit there after losses and say Fire Nagy and Pace without any additional commentary. I tend to blame players not performing for the outcome on the field. Hicks, Mack, Goldman, and Jackson for example. Graham and Foles are bad bonehead contracts and they haven’t done shit this year. Robinson has been nowhere to be found. Overall, lots of players underperforming. That pisses me off more than Nagy and Pace since it’s likely one or two of them will be gone after the year.

Edited by The Beast

Interesting social media story out there.  Fields personal QB coach is blasting Nagy on social media.  A few weeks ago tweeted that rookie QB's should sit and today tweeted "What if Nagy just didn't coach the rest of the season? Like made the executive decision that the team was better if he didn't make the trip?  

Note - i do not support a rookie QB making these type of statements or pressuring them and quite frankly this might just be a pure outsider view in the sense that Fields/Avery may not have talked much so this is purely Avery's opinion based upon what he has seen (vs. informed with some insight from Fields in terms of the dynamics and what he really thinks is wrong, etc.  That said - I've heard enough quotes from Fields that one could interpret as being back handed comments directed at Nagy (and usually in support of Lazor). 

I always thought Kyle Long had more beef - but for a guy who loves the Bears (Long) - it sure seems like he was pretty accurate in his assessments.