2021 NFL Season Thread

What a catastrophic waste of a time out at the end by Nagy.  would have been nice to have it in the back pocket but nah gotta ice the kicker with 26 seconds left 

fields balled out today.  Fire Nagy and Pace too if you feel funky 

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

What a catastrophic waste of a time out at the end by Nagy.  would have been nice to have it in the back pocket but nah gotta ice the kicker with 26 seconds left 

fields balled out today.  Fire Nagy and Pace too if you feel funky 

Clock would have run out on Steelers FG attempt, I believe 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

His decision to ice the kicker and leave himself with no timeouts 

Is that what happened? I think the clock had only stopped because of an officials time out for the chains. If he didn’t take it, the clock would have restarted and Pitt could have left no time.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Is that what happened? I think the clock had only stopped because of an officials time out for the chains. If he didn’t take it, the clock would have restarted and Pitt could have left no time.

Sorry misread you are correct

Edited by TheTruth05

16 minutes ago, fathom said:

Some of the dumbest fucking players I’ve ever seen

The amount of penalties is going to fall as a reflection on Nagy but the players deserve blame at some point. And some were BS but still.

That tip by Watt was a big play at the end especially if that was caught. Santos had a job to do but it wasn’t going to happen with the field goal. The record may have meant more to him but he is definitely reliable which is more than they could have said with Barth and Parkey.

Regarding the time out, it would have been nice to have but I wonder if time would have run out.

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

I thought the clock was dead, my mistake if it wasnt.  There were many other reasons today I am still ready to fire him into the sun though.  Even though the refs sucked, there was a lot of glaring coaching and preparedness issues 

3 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

4 yard pass on 3rd and 6

Running kickoff out from 8 yards deep in end zone

False start penalty

Illegal formation penalty.

That's all in the first 6 minutes.

Really past time for this coaching staff to go.

This - but despite all that craziness - Justin Fields had a coming out party on the road tonight. They loss - they had a TD taken away on a horrid penalty, the team was dysfunctional around him and he still made a ton of plays, including 2nd and 3rd read type plays on the road in a hostile environment after getting dug into a whole.  I'll take it.  

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

15 yard penalty on 2nd and goal at the 1. Cost them 4 points. No discipline is a sign of poor coaching.

Except it wasn't a penalty.  The only team committing penalties on that series was the Steelers - but no, the Bears got called.  Cost them the game.  

24 minutes ago, fathom said:

The decision to kick there was insane

This - I looked at my wife and said Santos is okay (in the sense he is accurate) but he is beyond worthless past about 50 yards (no leg strenght).  I mean can he even hit a 66 yarder in practice?  You had to take a shot at a hail mary there.  

13 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I thought the clock was dead, my mistake if it wasnt.  There were many other reasons today I am still ready to fire him into the sun though.  Even though the refs sucked, there was a lot of glaring coaching and preparedness issues 

100% on the coaching.  But you know what - Justin Fields, on the road, not a perfect game by any stretch, but back to back weeks of real progress and that was a pretty good 2nd half from a young kid, down on the road. 

Although I am willing to give Nagy until the end of the year to see the entire body of work, I think the track record from year to year is that they just aren’t good enough with him at the helm to get to the next level. At first, I thought he was an offensive guru because of the offense he was running, but the NFL appeared to have caught up. Then I wondered if he would be more of a CEO head coach type, but I just don’t see his skill - like a tactician (Belichick) or motivator. 

I fully expect him to get the axe on Black Monday. Pace could survive despite some of the questionable moves he has made. I am most frustrated with the deals he has made with picks and the salary cap numbers he’s committed over the years, along with the mismatch of players on the roster that he has for what they are trying to run. It is simply unforgivable to have the lack of depth that they do in the secondary, for example, your highest paid quarterback is riding the bench and Graham is owed money over the next several years.

To replace Nagy (if that is what they choose to do) I wonder if a play calling head coach is what they need, or if it is better to find a CEO type and have a coordinator run the offense. Or does it make sense to try again and hire Brian Daboll or Eric Bienemy? I’m not sure what is appropriate with where they are at roster wise and with the resources they have and where the NFL is trending with head coaches.

I am excited though - the cupboard is better than people give the Bears credit for.  Glass half full - we have 2 legit running backs and I think the oline is significantly better than we think.  It is young and if Borom can keep stacking games like this, I like our chances more.  Jenkins has real upside so hopefully he can also pan out.  Big ifs but Kmet has put together a few straight good games with this being a very strong game (both receiving and he's a very good blocker). 

Mooney is Mooney - which is a solid wideout.  Fields showed real development the past 2 weeks and I noticed he started to bring out different clubs on his deep ball tonight. Shows me how quick he is to adjust. I also saw quite a few passes which were multiple read plays. This was a good defense on the road and he had a TD and a number of solid plays taken off the board from penalties.  

And this is with Nagy - who clearly has not figured out any way to run a decent offense since becoming HC, so take those skill players and combine them with a better OC and this offense is basically an upgraded WR corps away from having some pretty good talent (and young talent at that).  The team will have cap space and while the defense is aging...right now I just want a good offense...than I'll worry about having a defense. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Although I am willing to give Nagy until the end of the year to see the entire body of work, I think the track record from year to year is that they just aren’t good enough with him at the helm to get to the next level. At first, I thought he was an offensive guru because of the offense he was running, but the NFL appeared to have caught up. Then I wondered if he would be more of a CEO head coach type, but I just don’t see his skill - like a tactician (Belichick) or motivator. 

I fully expect him to get the axe on Black Monday. Pace could survive despite some of the questionable moves he has made. I am most frustrated with the deals he has made with picks and the salary cap numbers he’s committed over the years, along with the mismatch of players on the roster that he has for what they are trying to run. It is simply unforgivable to have the lack of depth that they do in the secondary, for example, your highest paid quarterback is riding the bench and Graham is owed money over the next several years.

To replace Nagy (if that is what they choose to do) I wonder if a play calling head coach is what they need, or if it is better to find a CEO type and have a coordinator run the offense. Or does it make sense to try again and hire Brian Daboll or Eric Bienemy? I’m not sure what is appropriate with where they are at roster wise and with the resources they have and where the NFL is trending with head coaches.

I expect Pace will get promoted, they will than promote Champ (asst gm) to GM and will hire a new head coach.  I could be wrong, but I don't see Pace getting fired.  I think the McCaskey's think highly of him (even if we as fans don't) and I think they will give him a lot of credit for Fields (who is starting to flash).  I think he gets to hire a new head coach.  I think Phillips retains his title but no longer control over football decisions.  

I want to say Mike Florio was on the score talking about taunting penalties, and he said that the only reason that the owners approved this bullshit is because Rooney wanted it and they let him have it.  The only reason this is getting called is because some owner wants these guys to be nice to each other after plays and now it is up to a ref to decide that

I'm just so relieved that Fields had a near 300 yard pass game and was in complete control. 2 straight games where he was the best player on our offense (though...the bar is low there).

I get people's points on Pace keeping his job (where they are taking the perspective of George M), but it still is so apparent the talent disparity, especially on offense.

HOWEVER, in moments I'm charitable to him, I'll think to myself how Mike Davis looked awful on the bears, only to go to Carolina and play a convincing McCaffrey lite. Doing the exact things pace signed him for.

Or how Cordarelle Patterson was this distracting gadget guy, and now is one of the best offensive players in the league in 2021 on the falcons. 

If Jenkins/Borom make the field together and show, that's interesting. But still.

Dabearsblogs thread on solving this by kicking pace up to be the president of football ops and making Champ (forgot his last name) GM was interesting, if only because I have to remind myself before vomiting how many talented front office types have left the bears and been pretty good elsewhere. I suppose there are only so many football jobs, and a lotta these guys will take them where they can and be victims to their superior's success.