2021 NFL Season Thread

6 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

I'm only a casual football fan, but Nantz and Romo are the best TV booth team I've heard in a while.  Esp. compared to the awful announcing I heard watching college football yesterday.

Yeah I'd say Nantz/Romo are the gold standard for NFL announcing. Not sure how they ended up on a Bears/Ravens game but it was nice to have them.

Until Pace has a boss that can lead the organization they are going nowhere.

Even if they fire Pace and Nagy, they have nobody in the organization with any football knowledge to hire the next guys.  

Some outside source will tell Ted who to hire and in 4 years they will fail and be fired as they try and learn on teh job.

Neither Pace nor Nagy has gotten better at their job.

9 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

It’s the nfl, you can rebuild in an offseason (worse to first happens regularly).  They  have cap space next year and massive cap space in two years and almost all their draft picks sans the 1st rounder. And they can trade Quinn and Mack and get more picks. They also have young oline men, a good young CB, Roquan, Montgomery/Herbert, Kmet.  If Fields is real this team is not far off at all. One season max until they can be a legit regular contender.

That is if Fields is the real deal. The Rams have won for years with no high picks and mediocre qb play. If Fields is legit and it is no guarantee but I like his chances - this team will be fun for bulk of this decade! 

That was a heck of a lot of IFs for a franchise who hasn't shown the ability to do much product, especially on the offensive side of the football, for decades nwo.

12 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

It’s the nfl, you can rebuild in an offseason (worse to first happens regularly).  They  have cap space next year and massive cap space in two years and almost all their draft picks sans the 1st rounder. And they can trade Quinn and Mack and get more picks. They also have young oline men, a good young CB, Roquan, Montgomery/Herbert, Kmet.  If Fields is real this team is not far off at all. One season max until they can be a legit regular contender.

That is if Fields is the real deal. The Rams have won for years with no high picks and mediocre qb play. If Fields is legit and it is no guarantee but I like his chances - this team will be fun for bulk of this decade! 

The Rams have won because they have true impact players.  If Quinn and Mack and Hicks are gone the Bears have one on defense and they have young olinemen but none have shown they are particularly good yet.  Kmet is extremely mediocre and while Montgomery and Herbert are good, major meh there since they aren't impact players and RBs are incredibly fungible.  Fields would need to be a legit star for them to be a contender.  He has played one good game so let's see if he can even move up into the good or solid category before we talk about the Bears being a contender with the rest of this roster being mediocre at best going forward. 

1 hour ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

The Rams have won because they have true impact players.  If Quinn and Mack and Hicks are gone the Bears have one on defense and they have young olinemen but none have shown they are particularly good yet.  Kmet is extremely mediocre and while Montgomery and Herbert are good, major meh there since they aren't impact players and RBs are incredibly fungible.  Fields would need to be a legit star for them to be a contender.  He has played one good game so let's see if he can even move up into the good or solid category before we talk about the Bears being a contender with the rest of this roster being mediocre at best going forward. 

But the point is - they have parts - and if in 2 years Fields hasn't panned out - they have massive cap space and tons of draft capital to swing again and the next new QB would be in an even better spot again at that point.  And Kmet is not mediocre - he put up 4 straight games (until this week when for whatever reason the game plan went away from the TE) where he put up very solid numbers all while being a special blocker. Is he a top 3 TE in this league, no, but he can be a Kyle Rudolph type of TE and that is pretty valuable.  

Montgomery may not be elite - but he has been pretty impressive at putting up yards going back to 2nd half of last season.  Herbert is solid too. That is a good thing for a young QB and they are affordable. I agree RB's are a dime and dozen but having a quality one is still nice.  

I'm not guaranteeing anything - but when people act like the Bears are 5 years away or that Pace went for it all this year (like this year had to be a playoff or bust year) - that is just crazy talk. 1 - the NFL is a 1/2 year window to rebuild anyway (you can turn over an entire roster in basically 2 years with a good front office, right moves, and right coaching).  

But I am high on Fields - not saying it is a slam dunk, cause there are issues/real reasons to be concerned. But I have seen a lot of special and I think he has the right mental fortitude, leadership, etc to overcome some limitations that I don't think he will ever truly overcome.  I don't think he will ever be a guy that drops back and just dices up a defense with quick release throws...but his athleticism, poise, leadership and downfield play making ability, combined with his ability to force defenses to have to defend his legs (which helps free up options downfield) will more than make up from it.  

• Like 1

Lets be honest - they are getting shut out in almost half of the 1st half's they have played. They literally can't score points and it is an offensive coach who is supposed to be doing it. Regardless of how Nagy might handle a lockeroom at some point you are going to lose it. It was incredible he lasted as long as he did.  I think with the new rules where you can start interviewing sooner - Nagy will be first coach dumped before season ends in franchise history. The only question at this point is whether Pace will be with him or not.  

5 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

But the point is - they have parts - and if in 2 years Fields hasn't panned out - they have massive cap space and tons of draft capital to swing again and the next new QB would be in an even better spot again at that point.  And Kmet is not mediocre - he put up 4 straight games (until this week when for whatever reason the game plan went away from the TE) where he put up very solid numbers all while being a special blocker. Is he a top 3 TE in this league, no, but he can be a Kyle Rudolph type of TE and that is pretty valuable.  

Montgomery may not be elite - but he has been pretty impressive at putting up yards going back to 2nd half of last season.  Herbert is solid too. That is a good thing for a young QB and they are affordable. I agree RB's are a dime and dozen but having a quality one is still nice.  

I'm not guaranteeing anything - but when people act like the Bears are 5 years away or that Pace went for it all this year (like this year had to be a playoff or bust year) - that is just crazy talk. 1 - the NFL is a 1/2 year window to rebuild anyway (you can turn over an entire roster in basically 2 years with a good front office, right moves, and right coaching).  

But I am high on Fields - not saying it is a slam dunk, cause there are issues/real reasons to be concerned. But I have seen a lot of special and I think he has the right mental fortitude, leadership, etc to overcome some limitations that I don't think he will ever truly overcome.  I don't think he will ever be a guy that drops back and just dices up a defense with quick release throws...but his athleticism, poise, leadership and downfield play making ability, combined with his ability to force defenses to have to defend his legs (which helps free up options downfield) will more than make up from it.  

I’m totally in agreement with you. I try not to put on rose tinted glasses especially with an inept franchise like the Bears but if Fields is the guy( which he can easily be that with a remotely good offensive coach) then the Bears can be a playoff team as soon as next year. It’s a QB league and every GM/Coaching candidate will be salivating at the Bears job. 

Not a shock - but I am still bummed - Dalton to start Thursday. I was hoping it would be Fields but better safe than sorry with Fields. 

I just wanted Fields to play Lions and hopefully make some studly kick ass plays to make my thanksgiving exciting! Haha. 

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

So this all goes to some guy on patch, which I didn't know still existed. However, waddle?silvy? somebody said it's a longtime chicago reporter, so who knows.

Bernstein says he is a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist that was a long time sun times guy 

18 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

only the Bears can also somehow botch a firing. Just let the fuckin guy go if true.

eh, it's a short week, I don't think it's that weird. I don't think this means it's "botched" except it leaking. Who cares? they now get that 3 week pre-end of season period to interview. Whether this week, next, it's not that different. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

eh, it's a short week, I don't think it's that weird. I don't think this means it's "botched" except it leaking. Who cares? they now get that 3 week pre-end of season period to interview. Whether this week, next, it's not that different. 

Is there really a big difference with Tabor at HC? if anything the team might play better. Just let the guy go Monday and have Lazor gameplan Thursday. Also it's the Lions, can't be that hard to gameplan against. Just find it weird if this ends up being true that they didn't just let him go yesterday instead of giving him notice.

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

Well thats the point - you can't let something like that leak, if the whole reason you kept him was purely the "short week" deal.  

• Like 1

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

Well thats the point - you can't let something like that leak, if the whole reason you kept him was purely the "short week" deal.  

Just thinking the Bears let him meet the media later as a dead man walking is so on brand lol they can't right?