2021 NFL Season Thread

6 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

if this is true, the bears are even more doomed

I fully expect Champ to be the new GM and Pace to move up.  The big change will be - Ted Phillips will move into a role outside of football operations. If Pace moving up to president is what it takes to remove Ted from football operations, I am okay with it.  I have my beef with Pace but Champ is supposedly highly respected and it allows football people to be football people, especially if Champ has more control at that point. 

Is the above what I would do, no, but getting a new HC, removing Teddy from football, and getting a quasi new GM is better than nothing.  I also think Pace can be a better president than a GM.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

No matter what - Bears handled this bad. They either literally ignored the report and didn't get in front of the denial and put Nagy/Tabor in an awful spot. Or it is true and they didn't just get it done / let it leak and created a really bad situation.

I am still shocked that Nagy had to deny the report - it makes me think it is real but it is just so poorly handled. I will note - there is no good way to let go of someone, but this certainly doesn't seem like a best practice approach.  

17 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Giants get rid of Jason Garret. I will say - Nagy, to no surprise, handled the situation pretty well and with a high degree of professionalism.  

You have to feel for the guy.  He seemed like a good fit and is still a good person.  

I am concerned how this inabilities were not seen in the interview process. 

10 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

You have to feel for the guy.  He seemed like a good fit and is still a good person.  

I am concerned how this inabilities were not seen in the interview process. 

I see why he was hired.  I honestly think he has many many successful attributes of a head coach. The one thing he doesn't know how to do - and I think it is because he didn't have enough experience on this end, is how to adjust through failures and continue to build and refine the offense. He sticks too much to his system, which wasn't his, and had a great HC to be able to lean on.  

It really is the offensive shortcomings that got in the way. If he had a highly talented offensive assistant he handed the reigns to - I legit think he would have been a very good head coach. Of course, the problem with this was, he was brought in to be an offensive guru.  I do think Nagy will eventually go back to being a very strong assistant.  

• Like 1

Mark Konkol is a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist , so i think he was told was he claimed by a really reliable source. i don't know why, if you have made the decision, you keep him on the sideline another day. I also got a chuckle out of the "fire Nagy" chant at the Bulls game last night, although, the same chant at his son's HS football game was just wrong. 

46 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Mark Konkol is a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist , so i think he was told was he claimed by a really reliable source. i don't know why, if you have made the decision, you keep him on the sideline another day. I also got a chuckle out of the "fire Nagy" chant at the Bulls game last night, although, the same chant at his son's HS football game was just wrong. 

I've only read the Chicago Reader in terms of ink / paper newspapers since Mike Royko left Murdoch's Sun Times.

While Mark may have an accurate source, he has a controversial background beyond "Pulitzer Prize" winning journalist, lasting a whole two weeks as managing editor at the paper before getting shitcanned for multiple reasons.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2018/02/18/mark-konkol-chicago-reader-editor/

If they fire him in season, it probably means Pace stays. They have to blame the coach.  Now Pace and the rest of the Bears brass can fool themselves into thinking the problem isn't talent level, it's coaching. 

Nagy is a nice start, but if Pace is still around, it will be more of the same, unless he totally lucks out and brings in a guy who turns into a HOF level coach. 

This Bears-Nagy situation is messy and unprofessional. If you're gonna fire the guy, then just do it. If you're not, say you're not, and that you're focused on the season. But don't do this amateur hour shit where you make him squirm in a press conference and pretend you're not.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lostfan said:

This Bears-Nagy situation is messy and unprofessional. If you're gonna fire the guy, then just do it. If you're not, say you're not, and that you're focused on the season. But don't do this amateur hour shit where you make him squirm in a press conference and pretend you're not.

It's a garbage franchise acting like trash.

• Thanks 1

Seriously, anyone defending this organization, or hoping for the best, or being optimistic....just stop. I don't care if you're the most positive person in the world...this organization has given you NOTHING to latch onto in the form of hope. NOTHING

Same as it ever was.

https://www.si.com/nfl/titans/news/titans-dave-mcginnis-nf

Dave McGinnis Once Was Bears Head Coach -- And Didn't Know It

The current Titans radio color analyst's pursuit of a 'dream job' turned into a nightmare due to numerous missteps by the venerable franchise.