2021 NFL Season Thread

7 hours ago, lostfan said:

Anyone remember those football tables from the 70s/80s where you'd line up the toy football players, turn the power on, and the vibration of the table would have the players moving in random directions? This is roughly equivalent to watching the Bears offense.

Exclusive clip from the sidelines yesterday

10 hours ago, lostfan said:

Anyone remember those football tables from the 70s/80s where you'd line up the toy football players, turn the power on, and the vibration of the table would have the players moving in random directions? This is roughly equivalent to watching the Bears offense.

NFL Electric Football, still available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Tudor-Games-9072-Electric-Football/dp/B00JYD5AGI/ref=asc_df_B00JYD5AGI/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167154834906&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9870974370958319091&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9021455&hvtargid=pla-275709071188&th=1

I think it may go back to the 50/60's under a different name.

11 hours ago, lostfan said:

I had the Chiefs Raiders version my best friend had the Bears Packers.

17 hours ago, The Beast said:

At least you’re honest about it and admit your reasons. Some fans just say fire Nagy and don’t have anything more to say, particularly about who they want hired instead. Who do you think fits the bill for them as their next head coach? What do you think happens with the front office?

That's the problem for me, I don't know who they should hire. No top of line candidates come to mind, but I also don't trust the current front office to make that decision. With the front office? Ted Phillips gets assigned a different role, Pace is promote to President of Football Ops, a new GM is brought it. Still a lot of the same names and faces, but it's a start I guess. I know we really wont see meaningful change until ownership changes. Frustrating for sure.

5 hours ago, Marqhead said:

That's the problem for me, I don't know who they should hire. No top of line candidates come to mind, but I also don't trust the current front office to make that decision. With the front office? Ted Phillips gets assigned a different role, Pace is promote to President of Football Ops, a new GM is brought it. Still a lot of the same names and faces, but it's a start I guess. I know we really wont see meaningful change until ownership changes. Frustrating for sure.

The front office moves you suggested are the best thing that could happen to them. 

I am trying to decide if hiring another play caller makes sense or if we need a CEO type. I can’t figure it out yet. At least you are able to admit you don’t know and not say, “well it isn’t my job…” 

6 hours ago, The Beast said:

The front office moves you suggested are the best thing that could happen to them. 

I am trying to decide if hiring another play caller makes sense or if we need a CEO type. I can’t figure it out yet. At least you are able to admit you don’t know and not say, “well it isn’t my job…” 

I mean it isn't any of our jobs to find them a new coach or GM, and not knowing who should replace them shouldnt disqualify their opinion that both of those guys need to go, now.  Pace has fucked up the cap for the next two years at least, repeatedly dealt draft capital that is now needed to replace the aging defensive core, and you have Nagy the offensive genius who has averaged 16 points a game with 4 different qbs.   They need a president of football ops, a Gm and a new head coach.
I have no idea who would be.a good president of football ops, I have no idea who would be a good GM, I don't pay attention to other front offices and know names of ascending talents,  outside of leftwich  bienemy and maybe mcdaniels I don't know who else would be considered available.

so I'm gonna say yea, both of those guys need to go and also it isn't my job to tell you their replacements because I have no idea who is truly available or even good at their job in the front office.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I mean it isn't any of our jobs to find them a new coach or GM, and not knowing who should replace them shouldnt disqualify their opinion that both of those guys need to go, now.  Pace has fucked up the cap for the next two years at least, repeatedly dealt draft capital that is now needed to replace the aging defensive core, and you have Nagy the offensive genius who has averaged 16 points a game with 4 different qbs.   They need a president of football ops, a Gm and a new head coach.
I have no idea who would be.a good president of football ops, I have no idea who would be a good GM, I don't pay attention to other front offices and know names of ascending talents,  outside of leftwich  bienemy and maybe mcdaniels I don't know who else would be considered available.

so I'm gonna say yea, both of those guys need to go and also it isn't my job to tell you their replacements because I have no idea who is truly available or even good at their job in the front office.

It just makes the conversation more interesting than the constant “Pace and Nagy need to go!” I hear from the fan base. The Score and sports radio just dissect what goes wrong between Nagy and Pace but there is no solution and it is really old discussing the same old same old shit every fucking day with fans and listening to the talking heads have segments upon segments about the garbage. 

So yeah, it’s not anyone’s job to come up with the next hire but dissecting the past is really stale after a while. I should add that I don’t disagree with what you’ve said about Pace and Nagy and that you have named more names than most Bears fans and hosts who have spoken on the matter have. 

2 minutes ago, The Beast said:

It just makes the conversation more interesting than the constant “Pace and Nagy need to go!” I hear from the fan base. The Score and sports radio just dissect what goes wrong between Nagy and Pace but there is no solution and it is really old discussing the same old same old shit every fucking day with fans and listening to the talking heads have segments upon segments about the garbage. 

So yeah, it’s not anyone’s job to come up with the next hire but dissecting the past is really stale after a while. I should add that I don’t disagree with what you’ve said about Pace and Nagy and that you have named more names than most Bears fans and hosts who have spoken on the matter have. 

It's November and half the season is left, plus teams can interview earlier so we won't even know candidates.  We have nothing but garbage to talk about, the only thing we actually know is Pace and Nagy need to be relieved of their positions 

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

It's November and half the season is left, plus teams can interview earlier so we won't even know candidates.  We have nothing but garbage to talk about, the only thing we actually know is Pace and Nagy need to be relieved of their positions 

Again, you and people on this board still say more than just “Fire Nagy and Pace!” It’s mostly the clowns on Facebook, Score callers, people on Twitch and Score hosts who have nothing to say than reliving the past. I guess I care more about who the candidates could actually be and the possibilities for the future than I do bitching about the coach and GM like the fans I have mentioned do.

P.S. The analysis on the board last winter was some of the best I read from fans all offseason.

Edited by The Beast

Dabearsblog had a thing about Harbaugh and Ireland coming as a tag team. I was shocked when Harbaugh was out in San Fran, but his lukewarm tenure in college made me fade. Well, guess he’s back.

Jeff Ireland though. Man I know he has an eye as a scout, but his baggage from Miami seems like a terrible idea to bring here. He definitely did work in NO bringing in talent thru the draft.

31 minutes ago, bmags said:

Dabearsblog had a thing about Harbaugh and Ireland coming as a tag team. I was shocked when Harbaugh was out in San Fran, but his lukewarm tenure in college made me fade. Well, guess he’s back.

Jeff Ireland though. Man I know he has an eye as a scout, but his baggage from Miami seems like a terrible idea to bring here. He definitely did work in NO bringing in talent thru the draft.

I will take my chances with Harbaugh. I have heard of worse ideas and I still think he is a good coach. Would he leave after he finally beat OSU? Or maybe this was the win he needed to be able to walk away in peace? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Do you all think Quinn could fetch a first or does contract make it unlikely?

I don't think a 1st rounder - but I think you could get a 3rd rounder and maybe even a 3rd and a future 3rd. I don't even know if you could get a 2nd, but who knows.  

Robert Quinn is a year younger than Von Miller and has over double the sacks. If he finishes strong teams would have to be pretty interested in a guy who doesn't have a ton of guaranteed money etc, who gets the QB.  Miller fetched a 2nd and 3rd so maybe Quinn can get you a 2nd (but remember it was a low 2nd given Rams are good so practically a 3rd).  Miller had a bum year in '20 just like Quinn did, both due to injury (Miller didn't play at all while Quinn deal with drop foot that CLEARLY impacted him cause the eye test this year has been stellar).  

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don't think a 1st rounder - but I think you could get a 3rd rounder and maybe even a 3rd and a future 3rd. I don't even know if you could get a 2nd, but who knows.  

Robert Quinn is a year younger than Von Miller and has over double the sacks. If he finishes strong teams would have to be pretty interested in a guy who doesn't have a ton of guaranteed money etc, who gets the QB.  Miller fetched a 2nd and 3rd so maybe Quinn can get you a 2nd (but remember it was a low 2nd given Rams are good so practically a 3rd).  Miller had a bum year in '20 just like Quinn did, both due to injury (Miller didn't play at all while Quinn deal with drop foot that CLEARLY impacted him cause the eye test this year has been stellar).  

Quinn is having a much better year, so I was hoping it could stand it up more. Especially if he leads league in sacks when this is all said and done.

43 minutes ago, bmags said:

Quinn is having a much better year, so I was hoping it could stand it up more. Especially if he leads league in sacks when this is all said and done.

Yeah - I think if he gets to that point - it goes a long way. I think if Pace is here - less likely you see Quinn/Mack flipped.  If Pace is gone, than I think there would be more dramatic change when it comes to some of those aging vets and maybe a greater willingness to invest in '23/'24 with '22 being all about Fields and putting more weapons around him.  

That said - I still think if Pace stays - he could change the narrative dramatically by moving at least one of Mack/Quinn. The problem is - trading those guys completely ties up cap space in the current year (at least Mack does) - so the draft capital helps in the LT and the cap situation is also aided in LT but in '22 the team will get "pinched" a bit, but to me its a necessary pinch for the greater good. But those type of moves don't get made if a GM is under SIGNIFICANT near term pressure.  

If Pace moves up to president - Champ comes in new - than I think everything is fair game for that mini-refresh that they started when they drafted Fields this past year.  

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Yeah - I think if he gets to that point - it goes a long way. I think if Pace is here - less likely you see Quinn/Mack flipped.  If Pace is gone, than I think there would be more dramatic change when it comes to some of those aging vets and maybe a greater willingness to invest in '23/'24 with '22 being all about Fields and putting more weapons around him.  

That said - I still think if Pace stays - he could change the narrative dramatically by moving at least one of Mack/Quinn. The problem is - trading those guys completely ties up cap space in the current year (at least Mack does) - so the draft capital helps in the LT and the cap situation is also aided in LT but in '22 the team will get "pinched" a bit, but to me its a necessary pinch for the greater good. But those type of moves don't get made if a GM is under SIGNIFICANT near term pressure.  

If Pace moves up to president - Champ comes in new - than I think everything is fair game for that mini-refresh that they started when they drafted Fields this past year.  

Mack ties up the money, but hopefully he is an attractive trade candidate since the bears eat that. I think you still try to re-sign roquan though.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Mack ties up the money, but hopefully he is an attractive trade candidate since the bears eat that. I think you still try to re-sign roquan though.

Oh Roquan should be 100% paid. I have said many times - I don't think this team is far off, as long as Justin Fields is good.  Roquan will look even better next year when he has a decent younger LB next to him too vs. the slow aging LB's Bears have had next to him.  

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

On Mack - for a team acquiring him - he is relatively cap friendly, still relatively young, and all advanced metrics still have him as one of the top pass rushers in the game (and he is complete - plays run etc).  If Von Miller at his age gets you a 2 and a 3 - than Mack, who is widely viewed as elite, younger, and under a reasonable contract for a bit longer (for the acquiring team) - you are getting a 1st rounder +. Maybe it is a 2nd rounder this year and a future 1st or vice versa - but you are getting something good for Mack if you want to flip him and take cap hit (I WOULD - mainly because I think the Bears are 2-3 years from where they could use a Mack type of player to put them over the top and at that point - he wont' be the player they need him to be). 

And If I am the Bears - I do it - because I want to draft at least one young wideout, maybe two - plus I presume we will want to draft a center and DB relatively early as well. Some might be able to be handled in FA too.  

54 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Somebody tell Payton that Taysom is not a real QB.Come to Chicago and have a real QB 😎

How amazing. I wonder if Bears would go Tomlin route if Steelers move on. I have never known what to think of Tomlin but hard to argue how many years they were .500 or better.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

How amazing. I wonder if Bears would go Tomlin route if Steelers move on. I have never known what to think of Tomlin but hard to argue how many years they were .500 or better.  

I find it hard to believe that they would move on from Tomlin.

The problem with the Bears is that while there are salary constraints with players and they spend there, with non-salary operating expenses the Bears are still as cheap as they come.  I don't think they pay for an experienced coach of additional football operations people.