2021 NFL Season Thread

14 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Foles played decent. He is a good back up. Either way I expect a report later tonight or tomorrow that says Bears inform Nagy he will be gone (either effective immediately or at end of year). The real question is whether they also announce anything on Pace. 

I have a hunch it will be an interesting week off the field for the Bears. 

Nagy has to know he is gone, just look at his body language and demeanor. I wonder if he knew he was done at Thanksgiving and was given the option to finish off the gear. They don’t solve anything firing just Nagy, Pace being fired has to happen for improvements to happen. I read somewhere that Phillips may retire or go to business operations to finish his career rather than be fired.

I would love to know what Foles saw in front of him, he could have had that first down with his legs.

Edited by The Beast

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Unless I missed it as I was listening to the game vs watching while running errands but I didn’t hear many pressures coming from Jenkins or any penalties. No clue when he went out but despite some of those early penalties I can’t complain about Jenkins future (which is good). 

22 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Unless I missed it as I was listening to the game vs watching while running errands but I didn’t hear many pressures coming from Jenkins or any penalties. No clue when he went out but despite some of those early penalties I can’t complain about Jenkins future (which is good). 

He did give up one sack, but overall he was good.

If this team can get a couple really good OL and one good WR, they can have a Top 10 offense next year. Montgomery is a really tough running back. Definitely want to keep him around.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

He did give up one sack, but overall he was good.

If this team can get a couple really good OL and one good WR, they can have a Top 10 offense next year. Montgomery is a really tough running back. Definitely want to keep him around.

Herbert is solid too. They need to find a center - I am good just signing one if they are out there and either they need to resign Daniels or replace him. 

Finding a wideout is going to be hard…ideally they would grab one early in draft and sign one. Maybe they could trade for Michael Thomas or some other good wideout ends up on block. They definitely need some playmakers at wideout. 

I still say with a good coach they are closer to being on the up vs down but obviously a lot of that is dependent on Fields. 

Given how thin the free agent wideout crop is - is amari cooper a candidate to get cut (due to cap issues) or that not going to happen? 

I know Gallup and Williams (chargers) are two best free agents…to go with Robinson who is going to be a free agent in a real weak class (lucky for him given how bad of a season he has had). 

Honestly - bears are in such a bad spot you wonder what a new regime might mean for Robinson. They can always threaten a franchise tag to keep leverage or at least try to turn him into some form of an asset (not 1st rounder but maybe something). 

4 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Given how thin the free agent wideout crop is - is amari cooper a candidate to get cut (due to cap issues) or that not going to happen? 

I know Gallup and Williams (chargers) are two best free agents…to go with Robinson who is going to be a free agent in a real weak class (lucky for him given how bad of a season he has had). 

Honestly - bears are in such a bad spot you wonder what a new regime might mean for Robinson. They can always threaten a franchise tag to keep leverage or at least try to turn him into some form of an asset (not 1st rounder but maybe something). 

Those 2 are not the two best UFA wideouts. Davante Adams and Chris Godwin are

• Like 1

Nagy has to be gone, not firing him now puts the Bears at a serious disadvantage when it comes to the hiring cycle. Bryon Leftwich is who I’m pulling for  

If they’re smart, they would’ve been reaching out to and putting feelers out to FO candidates already. I’m hoping for either Ed Dobbs from the Colts or Will McClay from the Cowboys for the big job. 

9 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

I think  Jenkins went out in the first quarter. 

The television production of that game and announcing was embarrassing.

I am not a huge Allen Robinson fan.  Maybe the system made him look bad but always seemed more like a TE than a receiver to me.

Lol the bears got the respect that they deserved

38 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I hope the Bears can win two more and save his job.

Lol. I'm wondering what timing is best for him and his next job. 33-30 with two playoff appearances will get him a solid position somewhere. 

I want him to get another head coaching job if he gets canned. I think he can replicate and maintain that offense he had in 2018 but with the right players. He does need to learn to adapt better and give up the play calling since I think his coaching strength is being the CEO and not the play caller.

But I’m also a Nagy fan and didn’t jump ship on him like others did after years two or three. He probably sold himself as a guru or maybe Pace and the Bears thought he was and maybe he couldn’t meet those expectations as play caller and also be the head coach. I look forward to the changes but it would be weak if they just fired Nagy and Pace got to hire a third coach. The underlying issues of their failures still would remain.

Edited by The Beast
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I want him to get another head coaching job if he gets canned. I think he can replicate and maintain that offense he had in 2018 but with the right players. He does need to learn to adapt better and give up the play calling since I think his coaching strength is being the CEO and not the play caller.

But I’m also a Nagy fan and didn’t jump ship on him like others did after years two or three. He probably sold himself as a guru or maybe Pace and the Bears thought he was and maybe he couldn’t meet those expectations as play caller and also be the head coach. I look forward to the changes but it would be weak if they just fired Nagy and Pace got to hire a third coach. The underlying issues of their failures still would remain.

He didn't have an offense in 2018, he had an epic defense.  His Offense has struggled pretty much from the get go 

https://ontapsportsnet.com/2021/10/02/matt-nagy-era-bears-scoring-breakdown/

16.35 ppg from the offense in 2018

10.63 ppg 2019

14.85 ppg 2020

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

He didn't have an offense in 2018, he had an epic defense.  His Offense has struggled pretty much from the get go 

10.63 ppg 2019

14.85 ppg 2020

Did they really score 10.6 points per game in 2019? I know they were always bad but that is crazy.  And yes - you are right - he has sucked offensively every single year.  

I still think there is a shot they are going to go big for Harbaugh.  If they do - there is a shot Fangio and Roman might be available.  Not saying whether that is good or bad or whether Harbaugh would go back to those assistants, but I do think there is a shot if Fangio gets the boot he ends up back as a DC with the Bears (could very much see that being the case).  

5 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

10.63 ppg 2019

14.85 ppg 2020

That may be true, but the offense “flowed” better than in recent years. Having said that, I also would love to know what Bears fans expect to see out of the offense. Do they expect to see something like KC or Tampa? Well how do they get there? What scheme or personnel do they need to do that? These may be good questions for football executives and coaches to answer, but I hear and see a lot of complaining about things without any thinking or discourse on what they want to see. The same bitching happened with Jay Cutler and Lovie Smith and nobody could give even ideas on who to replace those guys with. The same applies to the offense.

32 minutes ago, The Beast said:

That may be true, but the offense “flowed” better than in recent years. Having said that, I also would love to know what Bears fans expect to see out of the offense. Do they expect to see something like KC or Tampa? Well how do they get there? What scheme or personnel do they need to do that? These may be good questions for football executives and coaches to answer, but I hear and see a lot of complaining about things without any thinking or discourse on what they want to see. The same bitching happened with Jay Cutler and Lovie Smith and nobody could give even ideas on who to replace those guys with. The same applies to the offense.

What I expect to see out of the offense is a top 5 offensive line. Once you have that, you have flexibility in basing your offensive scheme around the strengths of your skill players as opposed to basing it on how long you have until your quarterback is getting hit.

If you continue to let the offensive line be shit, then it doesn't matter what scheme you run.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

No offense, John Schoop was more imaginative than Nagy is.  Hey look they are lining up in the wildcat for the 90th time this season.  The defensive sure looks confused there.  I wonder what wacky draw play is going to be called here.  Hey look, let's shift 20 times and get called for illegal motion over and over.  Hey, I know it's not working, but it's shifty.