2021 NFL Season Thread

As much as all the rookies need the reps, I don't mind this at all. Nagy is gone anyways and don't want any of the young guys who are gonna be a part of this for a long time to get seriously hurt in a meaningless game(s). Rest the bruises, train in the offseason and come back stronger for next season.

Edited by SoxAce

32 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

As much as all the rookies need the reps, I don't mind this at all. Nagy is gone anyways and don't want any of the young guys who are gonna be a part of this for a long time to get seriously hurt in a meaningless game(s). Rest the bruises, train in the offseason and come back stronger for next season.

Yeah same. Who is so glad we have 17 weeks of football though? Isn’t it grand?

I'm not 100% certain, but I think the Bears still finish in 3rd place even if they beat Minnesota. They would both end up with 7-10 records with a split in head-to-head. The next tiebreaker is record vs common opponents and I figure that at 3-9 for the Bears and 5-7 for Minnesota.

This matters because 3 games on the 2022 schedule are based on the place a team finished in the division, and one of those three is against the AFC South, where the 2nd place team plays the Colts and the 3rd place team plays Houston.

So, the Bears can't hurt their first round pick by winning because they don't have one, and they also can't hurt their schedule for next year.

2 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I'm not 100% certain, but I think the Bears still finish in 3rd place even if they beat Minnesota. They would both end up with 7-10 records with a split in head-to-head. The next tiebreaker is record vs common opponents and I figure that at 3-9 for the Bears and 5-7 for Minnesota.

This matters because 3 games on the 2022 schedule are based on the place a team finished in the division, and one of those three is against the AFC South, where the 2nd place team plays the Colts and the 3rd place team plays Houston.

So, the Bears can't hurt their first round pick by winning because they don't have one, and they also can't hurt their schedule for next year.

I cannot find it but I feel like I saw something in my twitter feed today that the schedule ramifications would actually be affected with a win.

31 minutes ago, bmags said:

I cannot find it but I feel like I saw something in my twitter feed today that the schedule ramifications would actually be affected with a win.

Here are the tiebreaker rules:

To Break A Tie Within A Division

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  5. Strength of victory.
  6. Strength of schedule.
  7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  9. Best net points in common games.
  10. Best net points in all games.
  11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
  12. Coin toss

So if the Bears beat the Vikings

1. head-to-head would be split 1-1.
  2. Division record would be tied at 3-3.
  3. Common opponents are LAR, CIN, CLE, DETx2, GBx2, SF, PIT, BAL, ARI, SEA. I had these records wrong in my previous post. Both teams were 4-8 in those games.
  4. Conference records would both be 5-7
  5. Strength of victory will change as the week 18 games are played, but is currently .441 for the Vikings and .354 for the Bears. I don't think it can change that much. Vikings will essentially finish ahead of the Bears because they beat Green Bay once.

Someone please check my work. I made a mistake in my previous post so I certainly could have made one here.

1 minute ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Here are the tiebreaker rules:

So if the Bears beat the Vikings

1. head-to-head would be split 1-1.
  2. Division record would be tied at 3-3.
  3. Common opponents are LAR, CIN, CLE, DETx2, GBx2, SF, PIT, BAL, ARI, SEA. I had these records wrong in my previous post. Both teams were 4-8 in those games.
  4. Conference records would both be 5-7
  5. Strength of victory will change as the week 18 games are played, but is currently .441 for the Vikings and .354 for the Bears. I don't think it can change that much. Vikings will essentially finish ahead of the Bears because they beat Green Bay once.

Someone please check my work. I made a mistake in my previous post so I certainly could have made one here.

No that's good, that makes sense over thing I vaguely remember on twitter (and don't even know if it was a nfl writer or rando)