2021 NFL Season Thread

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Starting off the day optimistic again that pace gets fired.

I'm with you on this train. I think some of these guys who say there are rumblings he's got a good chance to stay are just guessing not gonna lie. If Nagy truly hasn't been told he's gone then they're both definitely gone Monday. fingers crossed!

• Like 1

That's not like an amazing contract for an LT, basically what you'd expect and what we valued him at as well. When Peters played, I didn't feel like there was even a drop off. So good for Leno, but that's basically a deal that rewards his best skill - you will definitely have him playing for you.

24 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Guess I haven't paid much attention to how terrible this roster is. Whoops.

The roster is really bad - it is why I have said - I understand why the offense ranked bottom 3rd the past # of years. For all I know Nagy's system might be good (well that might be too generous but maybe it isn't as horrendous as I think), heck if I know.  I Just know Nagy thought he had the right roster and he could take lesser guys and make them great by scheme alone. Pace is responsible too - but look at the good offenses in the league and they have multiple playmakers at different levels.  

Nagy wanted speed - he thought he could get things with retreads like Goodwin and Byrd. Those guys are fine as 4th/5th/6th type pieces but Bears counted on them for more. And to Bmags earlier point - he tried to run an offense that didn't fit its personnel.  But I don't look at the Bears offensive skill position players and go - you fix the QB that is a top 10 skill position unit...nope...not at all. I do think they have a good RB room, a lousy WR corps (maybe it isn't so bad if Robinson is his usual self but it certainly isn't special or well above average) and their TE room is okay.  You combine that with mediocre QB and that is not a good recipe.  

We actually have the pieces to be a pretty good hard nosed, old school football unit, with a lot of playaction, use of multiple TE's, slants, designed QB runs, work double-moves etc but that offense just conflicted so much with what Nagy wanted to do.  I also am a huge believer that said style of football is exactly the best way to develop Fields.  

As much as I wanted to see Fields play one more - I am kind of glad he is just ending the season at this point.  Be healthy in the off-season and get to work, heavy work. Work on film, work on speeding up that release, work on chemistry, and obviously work on digesting the (presumed) new playbook.  

24 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

As much as I wanted to see Fields play one more - I am kind of glad he is just ending the season at this point.  Be healthy in the off-season and get to work, heavy work. Work on film, work on speeding up that release, work on chemistry, and obviously work on digesting the (presumed) new playbook.  

I would rather him not play for fear that he would hurt himself (like an ACL tear) at the end of a meaningless season. His off-season is obviously going to be critical to getting better for next year.

48 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

The roster is really bad - it is why I have said - I understand why the offense ranked bottom 3rd the past # of years. For all I know Nagy's system might be good (well that might be too generous but maybe it isn't as horrendous as I think), heck if I know.  I Just know Nagy thought he had the right roster and he could take lesser guys and make them great by scheme alone. Pace is responsible too - but look at the good offenses in the league and they have multiple playmakers at different levels.  

Nagy wanted speed - he thought he could get things with retreads like Goodwin and Byrd. Those guys are fine as 4th/5th/6th type pieces but Bears counted on them for more. And to Bmags earlier point - he tried to run an offense that didn't fit its personnel.  But I don't look at the Bears offensive skill position players and go - you fix the QB that is a top 10 skill position unit...nope...not at all. I do think they have a good RB room, a lousy WR corps (maybe it isn't so bad if Robinson is his usual self but it certainly isn't special or well above average) and their TE room is okay.  You combine that with mediocre QB and that is not a good recipe.  

We actually have the pieces to be a pretty good hard nosed, old school football unit, with a lot of playaction, use of multiple TE's, slants, designed QB runs, work double-moves etc but that offense just conflicted so much with what Nagy wanted to do.  I also am a huge believer that said style of football is exactly the best way to develop Fields.  

I've said these a lot but I think the anti-nagy case are the case studies of Patterson and (Mike) Davis. And honestly the run of TEs, but, 

They were brought to Nagy to run basically the same thing they did in their immediate next stops, and were way, way more successful. Hell, Perriman is even an example. This is where you end up scrambling if you are an evaluator, as you are being told to bring in specific pieces that aren't working, and then they go elsewhere and immediately start working again.

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I'll continue to bang this drum--every style of offense a coach might want to run requires a good offensive line. If you look at the best offenses in the NFL they all have the best offensive lines. This is why I think getting rid of Pace is even more important than getting rid of Nagy because Pace has proven that he doesn't get it when it comes to the importance of the O-line.

• Like 1

this is an interesting read at least:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/1/6/22869889/nfl-coaching-carousel-avoid-mistakes

Basketball and Baseball have really proven interesting models for shaping the org and football has not. Cleveland tried to do this, and maybe given time it could have worked out. But I think the calls for a "football guy" isn't necessarily getting bill cowher to lead the org, but to put guys who have been a part of big orgs and running them up top. 

I like reading Darrel Morey because it's clear reading him that he's just obsessed with finding the answers to hard questions and not that there's any one way to do things. And maybe that's the problem with guys you poach from winning orgs, and was likely nagy's downfall - he thought he knew the way to do things.

Belicheck isn't married to anything. He'll change schemes on a whim if it hurts his opponent. He'll become a power run team on a dime and rush it 50 times. Patricia thought he knew how to do things.

It's not easy to find that group of people who try to create a process to facilitate problem solving, not a process that they think does solve problems. But hopefully bears find one.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Probably true, but for an extra million or two . . . 

I usually believe most organizations need just a couple changes to fix themselves. In this case blow it up and start over. Everything seems to be aligned to just clear the building. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

Probably true, but for an extra million or two . . . 

I usually believe most organizations need just a couple changes to fix themselves. In this case blow it up and start over. Everything seems to be aligned to just clear the building. 

The bears are not going up against franchises like Patriots, Steelers, Pats, Cowboys. They will be competing in this hiring cycle with even crappier franchises. 

I buy zero truth to that report. No - Harbaufh isn’t probably jumping on with Pace but that has nothing to do with Pace and everything to do with Harbaugh wanting his own guy as GM (especially after the Balke situation). 

Bears will be one of most attractive jobs out there - right there with the Raiders. Bears have history of giving coaches leashes and treating people with respect etc. They are major market.

And if the report was true - It would be less about Pace the GM and more about worry of job security (ie if he got canned next year what does that mean for HC who now gets a new boss).

But Bears can’t be that stupid. If they are keeping Pace, they got to be all in - either moving him into that president role or whatever or giving him an extension so his timeline aligns with the coach). If they aren’t doing that, than they need to can him. You can’t pick the middle ground. 

• Like 1

If Nagy was getting fired and Pace was the one making the call on a new coach, firng Nagy last week would have been the call to get a jump on the new hire. The fact that Nagy is still there does seem to indicate Pace isn't hiring the new coach. 

I've probably mentioned this before, but one of my best friends lives in Des Moines, and is a dead ringer for Ryan Pace. He gets heckled all the time.

Edited by Dick Allen

7 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

But Bears can’t be that stupid. 

I agree 💯 with everything except this. I have complete faith and confidence that the Bears can be that stupid. I'm holding my breath here. 

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

Reports are Jags are going to meet with Bill O'Brien and boy Trent Baalke and BOB is just a match made in heaven

I would actually be pretty happy with BOB the head coach as a hire (if the Bears went that route). They won't (or at least I presume they wont').  But he is a very good head coach (IMO).  We also have seen him develop a young QB.  BOB the front office GM, awful. BOB the pure head coach...pretty pretty good.