2021 NFL Season Thread

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

He’s in Minnesota man. He’s a real person.

I know he’s a real person. Listen, he’s a good guy and everything and maybe they are giving him respect so you are correct their but he’s just not the right coach for this team and the organization should already know this by now.

Edited by maloney.adam

24 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Any takers on the scenario (however unlikely) that both stay one more year? Or are we all set on Nagy going and Pace staying or both of them getting canned? 

There is no chance that Nagy is retained. There’s a level of “fan base calling for a guy’s head” that once you reach it, the guy has to go. 

59 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Any takers on the scenario (however unlikely) that both stay one more year? Or are we all set on Nagy going and Pace staying or both of them getting canned? 

Not a chance. And if it did happen, this city might actually explode. 

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

There is no chance that Nagy is retained. There’s a level of “fan base calling for a guy’s head” that once you reach it, the guy has to go. 

Add the media calling for his head too. More subtle than the fans, but there was consistent pressure applied from the media for him to go.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Not a chance. And if it did happen, this city might actually explode. 

I’d love to see the anger, even if it won’t happen. I hope Nagy gets an OC job next year or the year after and becomes a HC again. 

9 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Add the media calling for his head too. More subtle than the fans, but there was consistent pressure applied from the media for him to go.

I’d love to see the anger, even if it won’t happen. I hope Nagy gets an OC job next year or the year after and becomes a HC again. 

Why are you such a Nagy fan? I've noticed it with your other posts but never have asked. 

He's had a fairly long track record of being a very bad offensive play caller. My guess is he becomes a QB coach somewhere, and then will eventually get another OC job because of the good'ole boy network....but given what he did in his short time with the Chiefs, then in Chicago (He fired himself TWICE as the offensive play caller) I don't see why anyone gives him an OC job next season. 

16 minutes ago, Tony said:

Why are you such a Nagy fan? I've noticed it with your other posts but never have asked. 

He's had a fairly long track record of being a very bad offensive play caller. My guess is he becomes a QB coach somewhere, and then will eventually get another OC job because of the good'ole boy network....but given what he did in his short time with the Chiefs, then in Chicago (He fired himself TWICE as the offensive play caller) I don't see why anyone gives him an OC job next season. 

He should become the Alabama OC not kidding

3 hours ago, The Beast said:

Haha - that sounds awful. No thank you and this is coming from someone who is usually the last to jump to dumping people.  

44 minutes ago, Tony said:

Compared to the other coaches the Bears have had since I started watching in 1998, Matt Nagy was one of my favorites next to Lovie Smith, which is because they were probably the most successful ones (which isn’t saying much). I like how his players respected him and didn’t quit. I like him as a person. I was intrigued by him with his first year’s offense and thought he had an interesting offense. I felt like if more players executed in specific games, his record would have been better as a coach.

I think the Bears fan base has a quick knee jerk reaction when it comes to coaches and GMs. There are plenty of fans who just love to b**** and not think through solutions, they just turn up the volume of whatever is wrong and don’t think through any viable solutions. Many of them just diagnose Nagy as the problem when he’s just a scapegoat of the problem. They look at Mike Ditka and think he’s a god because he and the team he had won one super bowl in he mid-80s. He has “passion” and “fire” and they want to see that out of their coach, as if that actually does anything. Unfortunately for Nagy, players like Hicks, Jackson, Robinson and Graham fizzled out and became nothing. Sure, Nagy had a say in some personnel but I can think of winnable games that they could and probably should have had over the years, especially against the Vikings, Steelers, Ravens, Chargers and the infamous Eagles game where players didn’t perform and they lost.

Nagy had his failures with the quarterbacks and the offense, but over the years, I have wondered what this fan base truly expects out of their offense. Some probably expect Drew Brees and the Saints or Peyton Manning, but the Bears have never had that. With the personnel Nagy had, I couldn’t see how they’d be that good. They should have been better than what they were though and I did get sick of all of the penalties (Akiem Hicks is the biggest culprit) and any down and long situations. And the losing streaks were bad too…as well as the fact that he had to give up play calling and they weren’t really in many big time games.

If Nagy gets canned and Pace stays, I hope the fan base recognizes that firing the coach won’t fix everything. Pace hamstrung this team with some of the contracts doled out and the trading up in the draft over the years, which forced them to put out garbage in the secondary and force the rest of the defense to be perfect. And regardless of who is hired, I doubt we will see a turnaround next year or sustained success. That’s the cynical fan in me.

I personally hope he gets another shot as OC and if Andy Reid loses Bienemy, that he becomes the OC and when Reid retires, he gets the head coaching job. I’d love to see what he would implement with Mahomes, even if I doubt it would happen. Regardless, I wish Nagy the best.

Edited by The Beast

3 hours ago, The Beast said:

I don't see how it's possible, but if Nagy is somehow retained, I'm shelling out for Sunday Ticket next year and finding a new team for at least a year.

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Haha - that sounds awful. No thank you and this is coming from someone who is usually the last to jump to dumping people.  

At least you give people a fair shake. Plenty of fans just find the first reason to fire a Bears coach and drum the beat louder when things get worse. I just thought of the possibility because it’s the Bears. 

For those who get the Chicago Tribune, read Brad Biggs’ ten thoughts column - the parts where he mentions the candidates for head coach and GM and what head coaches and GMs would ask during about during their interviews were interesting.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-cb-chicago-bears-brad-biggs-10-thoughts-20220110-ikzhm3kjinbbnkkecec4hvcarq-story.html

7 minutes ago, The Beast said:

For those who get the Chicago Tribune, read Brad Biggs’ ten thoughts column - the parts where he mentions the candidates for head coach and GM and what head coaches and GMs would ask during about during their interviews were interesting.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-cb-chicago-bears-brad-biggs-10-thoughts-20220110-ikzhm3kjinbbnkkecec4hvcarq-story.html

Thought it was an excellent read. I loved the quotes on getting the right coordinator - someone creative enough to build things around Fields…not to make him the next Manning or to just stick your system down their throat. 

That is the #1 reason Nagy is gone. He refused to tailor anything. He thought his system was amazing and really did nothing to actually build an offense around its players and their strengths. Because of it the squad never could figure out any identity.

It could have maybe been a smash mouth unit - but that just wasn’t the system any of the main offensive coaches wanted. They were all too stubborn about what good looked like vs focusing on the best good for the Bears personnel. 

• Like 1

Bears announced they would be opening media sessions up with their players tomorrow morning but announced times for Nagy and Pace would be announced at a later time. 

Could be a sign both of them never have those conferences (times just stay TBD). If nothing else fact that neither of them have defined times to meet with media as a sign a full house cleaning is still on table. 

I have to think despite all the reports that both Nagy and Pace are gone. 

9 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Craziest final regular season game I have ever seen. What the hell were the Chargers doing. I am 90 percent sure Raiders were taking a knee before Staley called that timeout and made Raiders rethink it. 

Big Ben lives to play one more. 

They were in shotgun formation. They were going to run a play to try to get the first down.  

5 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

They were in shotgun formation. They were going to run a play to try to get the first down.  

It looked to me like they were shifting the back further behind and he was going to just run it out or do something low key. Carr said in post game interview that the tImeout changed how the finished game. That said he did say he wanted to win the game (not tie - but that was what he wanted). 

I guess we will never know and Chargers still blew just tackling Jacobs shorter when the whole field knew it would only be a rushing play. 

Edit: Saw another replay. Definitely not a knee. 

What was it, 2-3 weeks ago when the Chargers had the Chiefs on the ropes for most of that game and would have tied (and had tie-breaker advantage) for the division lead with two games remaining?

Must be pretty heartbreaking for fans of both the Bolts and the Colts.

And, man, that Carson Wentz is frustrating, isn't he?

Chiefs must be elated to see LAC out of it already...really have no earthly clue who to pick to make it to the Super Bowl, seems 4-5 teams in each conference, if not more, have legit arguments.