2021 NFL Season Thread

2 hours ago, The Beast said:

Compared to the other coaches the Bears have had since I started watching in 1998, Matt Nagy was one of my favorites next to Lovie Smith, which is because they were probably the most successful ones (which isn’t saying much). I like how his players respected him and didn’t quit. I like him as a person. I was intrigued by him with his first year’s offense and thought he had an interesting offense. I felt like if more players executed in specific games, his record would have been better as a coach.

I think the Bears fan base has a quick knee jerk reaction when it comes to coaches and GMs. There are plenty of fans who just love to b**** and not think through solutions, they just turn up the volume of whatever is wrong and don’t think through any viable solutions. Many of them just diagnose Nagy as the problem when he’s just a scapegoat of the problem. They look at Mike Ditka and think he’s a god because he and the team he had won one super bowl in he mid-80s. He has “passion” and “fire” and they want to see that out of their coach, as if that actually does anything. Unfortunately for Nagy, players like Hicks, Jackson, Robinson and Graham fizzled out and became nothing. Sure, Nagy had a say in some personnel but I can think of winnable games that they could and probably should have had over the years, especially against the Vikings, Steelers, Ravens, Chargers and the infamous Eagles game where players didn’t perform and they lost.

Nagy had his failures with the quarterbacks and the offense, but over the years, I have wondered what this fan base truly expects out of their offense. Some probably expect Drew Brees and the Saints or Peyton Manning, but the Bears have never had that. With the personnel Nagy had, I couldn’t see how they’d be that good. They should have been better than what they were though and I did get sick of all of the penalties (Akiem Hicks is the biggest culprit) and any down and long situations. And the losing streaks were bad too…as well as the fact that he had to give up play calling and they weren’t really in many big time games.

If Nagy gets canned and Pace stays, I hope the fan base recognizes that firing the coach won’t fix everything. Pace hamstrung this team with some of the contracts doled out and the trading up in the draft over the years, which forced them to put out garbage in the secondary and force the rest of the defense to be perfect. And regardless of who is hired, I doubt we will see a turnaround next year or sustained success. That’s the cynical fan in me.

I personally hope he gets another shot as OC and if Andy Reid loses Bienemy, that he becomes the OC and when Reid retires, he gets the head coaching job. I’d love to see what he would implement with Mahomes, even if I doubt it would happen. Regardless, I wish Nagy the best.

Appreciate the reply. 

But I guess aside from being a “good guy” which I agree he does seem like a positive, likeable human…I’m still not sure what I can point to that tells me he is a good football coach. The organization had a great year going 12-4 and Nagy deserves credit for that like everyone else. We saw some creative plays, fun season.

But things got worse every year. How many press conferences did we have to hear when Nagy would give us “That one is on me.” Or “Yeah we’d like to do that one over again if we had the chance?” 

I guess what I’m saying is I can walk and chew gum at the same time. I can realize Ryan Pace continued to make moves that hurt this organization and made this roster worse over time. At that same time, I can realize very few players developed under Matt Nagy and his offense continued to rank near the worst in the league on a regular basis. For someone brought in that was entirely offensive minded and didn’t touch the defense…I expect more from my head coach. He was very bad at his job during his time in Chicago, deserves to be fired and I would be very upset if I was the fan of another team and they hired him to be my new offensive coordinator. Again, the man fired himself from the job…twice…during his time in Chicago. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, The Beast said:

Compared to the other coaches the Bears have had since I started watching in 1998, Matt Nagy was one of my favorites next to Lovie Smith, which is because they were probably the most successful ones (which isn’t saying much). I like how his players respected him and didn’t quit. I like him as a person. I was intrigued by him with his first year’s offense and thought he had an interesting offense. I felt like if more players executed in specific games, his record would have been better as a coach.

I think the Bears fan base has a quick knee jerk reaction when it comes to coaches and GMs. There are plenty of fans who just love to b**** and not think through solutions, they just turn up the volume of whatever is wrong and don’t think through any viable solutions. Many of them just diagnose Nagy as the problem when he’s just a scapegoat of the problem. They look at Mike Ditka and think he’s a god because he and the team he had won one super bowl in he mid-80s. He has “passion” and “fire” and they want to see that out of their coach, as if that actually does anything. Unfortunately for Nagy, players like Hicks, Jackson, Robinson and Graham fizzled out and became nothing. Sure, Nagy had a say in some personnel but I can think of winnable games that they could and probably should have had over the years, especially against the Vikings, Steelers, Ravens, Chargers and the infamous Eagles game where players didn’t perform and they lost.

Nagy had his failures with the quarterbacks and the offense, but over the years, I have wondered what this fan base truly expects out of their offense. Some probably expect Drew Brees and the Saints or Peyton Manning, but the Bears have never had that. With the personnel Nagy had, I couldn’t see how they’d be that good. They should have been better than what they were though and I did get sick of all of the penalties (Akiem Hicks is the biggest culprit) and any down and long situations. And the losing streaks were bad too…as well as the fact that he had to give up play calling and they weren’t really in many big time games.

If Nagy gets canned and Pace stays, I hope the fan base recognizes that firing the coach won’t fix everything. Pace hamstrung this team with some of the contracts doled out and the trading up in the draft over the years, which forced them to put out garbage in the secondary and force the rest of the defense to be perfect. And regardless of who is hired, I doubt we will see a turnaround next year or sustained success. That’s the cynical fan in me.

I personally hope he gets another shot as OC and if Andy Reid loses Bienemy, that he becomes the OC and when Reid retires, he gets the head coaching job. I’d love to see what he would implement with Mahomes, even if I doubt it would happen. Regardless, I wish Nagy the best.

I don't know what you expect from the offense, but I posted the numbers a few weeks ago for you and they have been dreadful, worst in the league almost the entire time he has been here.  I know you have taken a fancy to Nagy but the guy is what he is and has shown a complete inability to adjust.

and I would be very surprised if Reid made Nagy his OC again, because he took playcalling duties away from Nagy before he left for the bears.  Reid knows.

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

Is that confirmed; re: Pace? 

Schefter confirmed.

I think some media was way too in love with what they could hear from their team sources on what they thought would happen when when you stepped back the situation was far too untenable for Pace to stay and this was a very, very likely scenario and what they were hearing was very, very unlikely.

When LA Chargers give Telesco a third coach, they just watched a season with one of the best rookie QB campaigns ever and a loaded offensive roster with some clear areas of upgrade.

When the Bears would give Pace a 3rd coach, the team is old, expensive, without draft picks, and have an exciting QB who put up a pretty bad season.

Just didn't make sense but being an insider can be a double edged sword.

9 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

It looked to me like they were shifting the back further behind and he was going to just run it out or do something low key. Carr said in post game interview that the tImeout changed how the finished game. That said he did say he wanted to win the game (not tie - but that was what he wanted). 

I guess we will never know and Chargers still blew just tackling Jacobs shorter when the whole field knew it would only be a rushing play. 

Edit: Saw another replay. Definitely not a knee. 

A bunch of quotes from players post game giving handshakes who indicated Raiders were going to kneel it/run clock out before time out. 

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

A bunch of quotes from players post game giving handshakes who indicated Raiders were going to kneel it/run clock out before time out. 

If the Raiders think that the Bengals are a more beatable opponent than Kansas City, then there was significant incentive to go for the win vs settle for the tie.

10 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Just be glad JR doesn't own the Bears or else they'd be hiring Ditka.

Eh, more likely JR scenario is that Angelo is still President or something. 

I would rather JR be Bears owner than the McCaskeys, easily. I think he is a better owner in a salary cap format. The bulls have underachieved given the advantages Jordan gave them, but nowhere near the underachievement of the Bears franchise the last 30 years.