2021 NFL Season Thread

There needs to be someone, either the new GM or someone else very high up in the organization, that is an analytics expert. Someone who can map out projected win totals with various combinations of players before starting to build next year's team. Someone who knows that trading up in the draft is generally a bad thing to do.

Okay, so they did fire Pace and Nagy rather than just going after the scapegoat. Now it makes sense to do what the Bulls did and bring in a football Artūras Karnišovas and bring in the GM and coach from there. Now we need to see what happens to Phillips and Desai (I predict he will be gone but may get an interview for his job).

25 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

A bunch of quotes from players post game giving handshakes who indicated Raiders were going to kneel it/run clock out before time out. 

Their offense changed when they could run out the clock.  They just ran two very safe plays.  I do not think they were taking a knee but most likely a safe run that would keep the clock going.  After the Charger timeout they had to go for the first down as the Chargers could call timeout after 3rd down and get the ball back.

Why the Chargers called the time out is baffling.  Was there any explanation? 

Great news on the Bears as while Pace had done some decent things, they were not enough to beleive the foundation was there.

On the NBC football wrap up there was a great dialogue about Pace and the Halas Hall renovation.  Kruetz said it best, all he had to do was go to OSU and tell an architect, I want that.  For some reason the Bears made it sound like it was revolutionary while it is just what every other team has.  Kudos to the architect not Ryan Pace.   

Phillips will stick around in some capacity if Arlington Heights is real. 

11 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Okay, so they did fire Pace and Nagy rather than just going after the scapegoat. Now it makes sense to do what the Bulls did and bring in a football Artūras Karnišovas and bring in the GM and coach from there. Now we need to see what happens to Phillips and Desai (I predict he will be gone but may get an interview for his job).

Desai's fate should be in the hands of the next coach. No one should force any assistant on the next coach. They may offer up names, etc to help speed up the process - but the coach has to be able to get his assistants.  

13 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Their offense changed when they could run out the clock.  They just ran two very safe plays.  I do not think they were taking a knee but most likely a safe run that would keep the clock going.  After the Charger timeout they had to go for the first down as the Chargers could call timeout after 3rd down and get the ball back.

Why the Chargers called the time out is baffling.  Was there any explanation? 

Great news on the Bears as while Pace had done some decent things, they were not enough to beleive the foundation was there.

On the NBC football wrap up there was a great dialogue about Pace and the Halas Hall renovation.  Kruetz said it best, all he had to do was go to OSU and tell an architect, I want that.  For some reason the Bears made it sound like it was revolutionary while it is just what every other team has.  Kudos to the architect not Ryan Pace.   

Phillips will stick around in some capacity if Arlington Heights is real. 

Yeah - but Pace was actually able to convince the Bears ownership that it was necessary. He convinced them to expand the scouting and player personel ranks, etc. Behind the scenes he actually did a lot. But its a results oriented business and difficult and despite those admirable things - the reality is he had 7 years (or whatever it was) and wasn't able to get it there. I do think he's learned and got better and I do think he is pretty solid at drafting, especially in later rounds, but his ability to maximize his actual draft capital/salary space - yeah...not good enough at all.  

Ability to find special players, game changers, not good enough.  There are worse GM's than Pace, but he clearly is not a top 10 GM in football.  

15 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Another good sign....Ted is not going to be part of the press conference.

A good sign indeed.  Even though as a fellow accountant, Ted Phillips is like a semi hero to me.  I need to meet George and tell him I can be the next Ted.  

10 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I liked Pace but I get why he was fired.  He tied his wagon to the wrong horse. That said it's going to be very difficult for them to find a guy to do a better job drafting than he did.  He was able to find solid NFL players up and down the draft and that's not going to be easy to replace. 

Can't tell if this is a joke or not. 

25 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I liked Pace but I get why he was fired.  He tied his wagon to the wrong horse. That said it's going to be very difficult for them to find a guy to do a better job drafting than he did.  He was able to find solid NFL players up and down the draft and that's not going to be easy to replace. 

Part of drafting is not wasting draft capital, and he wasted a ton in all of his trade ups.  This is a team that needs depth all over the roster, and he was steady giving away potential depth.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

Outside of unnecessary trades of draft capital, I think one of Pace’s biggest blunders was the extension for Cohen. He was a third down, change of pace back. Obviously, the injury makes it hard to judge, but it seemed like a premature, bad idea at the time.

A single extension for a RB didn't sink that GM. You can add in "several bad extensions" and throw in Eddie Jackson and you might have something.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

A single extension for a RB didn't sink that GM. You can add in "several bad extensions" and throw in Eddie Jackson and you might have something.

I can't put Eddie Jackson on the GM.  The dude was a superstar when he extended, and then kind of quit trying.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Part of drafting is not wasting draft capital, and he wasted a ton in all of his trade ups.  This is a team that needs depth all over the roster, and he was steady giving away potential depth.

Yeah, Pace was really good at deciding who to draft in rounds 3-7, but the trade ups more than cancelled that out.

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He said one of his biggest blunders, not the only one.  Pace also extended Trevathan who was on his third ACL repair, let his starting tackles walk with zero experienced replacements, kept Graham.

there were many, we know there were many 

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He tied his wagon a few times to a too to many of the wrong horses. 

Maybe Fields works out but until we know for sure, too many failed attempts at QB and head coach.  

Comparatively speaking how is Pace at late round drafting v other teams?  He appears to fail often on early round drafting.

3 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

He tied his wagon a few times to a too to many of the wrong horses. 

Maybe Fields works out but until we know for sure, too many failed attempts at QB and head coach.  

Comparatively speaking how is Pace at late round drafting v other teams?  He appears to fail often on early round drafting.

The guy has a career 48-65 record during his time with the Bears and had 1 season over .500

He never saw his team win a playoff game.

He was very bad at this job. But I'm glad @Harold's Leg Lift "gets why he was fired" because it can be tough to understand why......🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1