2021 NFL Season Thread

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

A single extension for a RB didn't sink that GM. You can add in "several bad extensions" and throw in Eddie Jackson and you might have something.

Didn’t say or imply this one move sunk him. I agree with SS2K5, the Jackson move seems like the obvious thing to do at the time. He was a game changer. I’m not sure what happened, but he was terrible afterwards. Like worst DB on the field terrible.

9 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Now which comes first? Generally speaking I don't want the HC picking the GM but that may be what it takes to get their guy. Unless they have a GM lined up that search could take a while.

I think it will be the GM that comes first (unless they are hiring Harbaugh or someone of that ilk).  

Just now, Middle Buffalo said:

Didn’t say or imply this one move sunk him. I agree with SS2K5, the Jackson move seems like the obvious thing to do at the time. He was a game changer. I’m not sure what happened, but he was terrible afterwards. Like worst DB on the field terrible.

Jackson was actually extended after he started to trend downwards. He was never the same player after he got injured late in that 2018 season (where he ended up missing the playoff game vs. the Eagles).  The next year he was just okay - but Bears thought he would bounce back.  

It is going to be interesting. I think George's confidence is shot now. The Bears were so close to so many franchise altering moments. Choosing Arians in 2013 instead of Trestman. Ballard instead of Pace. Mahomes, etc.

Some of these were trying to branch out instead of the obvious choice. Some it was taking the obvious choice (Fox) and it still not working out.

I still find myself thinking about that Kevin Clark article. I obviously like Mike Tomlin a lot. I like Kevin Colbert a lot. I like Omar Khan. But in Pittsburgh, in places like Ohio State, in Green Bay, these aren't places where if one cog fails the ship goes under. If we take Mike Tomlin as our coach, we aren't the Steelers model of consistency.

George is probably now going to get some big, obvious choice. And I will be excited by many. Loved the Trace Armstrong chatter, even though I don't know about Ryan Day. Love the idea of Harbaugh/Ireland. 

But all of these will be recreating GM runs scout staff, coach staff reports to GM, etc models that will have the bears relying that two single people get it right.

That's why I kinda like the Trace Armstrong rumor the most, with the idea that he has outside experience to think about how to run this. I am not a ivy-league-oogler but I also find Kwesi Adofo-Mensah an interesting candidate as a VP/head role. 

15 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think it will be the GM that comes first (unless they are hiring Harbaugh or someone of that ilk).  

That's exactly what I was thinking. While I'm a big fan of hiring Harbaugh I'm not certain I like the idea of doing that first given that my gut tells me he would demand input into the GM selection. 

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

I do think Bears need to understand what is possible in getting Sean Payton first and foremost, including letting him choose GM.

I just don't see how it happens - unless Payton literally tells the Saints, I want to go here, please make this happen type of thing.  Otherwise - even if he really did - are the Bears really going to give up multiple picks to get him when they already don't have a FRP right now?  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I just don't see how it happens - unless Payton literally tells the Saints, I want to go here, please make this happen type of thing.  Otherwise - even if he really did - are the Bears really going to give up multiple picks to get him when they already don't have a FRP right now?  

Maybe not, but the case for it being possible is it being unknown what contract he's under, they are in transition, and have a good succession plan in Dennis Allen. There is enough respect they may work it out if there is desire. They cannot go through this without knowing.

37 minutes ago, bmags said:

It is going to be interesting. I think George's confidence is shot now. The Bears were so close to so many franchise altering moments. Choosing Arians in 2013 instead of Trestman. Ballard instead of Pace. Mahomes, etc.

Some of these were trying to branch out instead of the obvious choice. Some it was taking the obvious choice (Fox) and it still not working out.

I still find myself thinking about that Kevin Clark article. I obviously like Mike Tomlin a lot. I like Kevin Colbert a lot. I like Omar Khan. But in Pittsburgh, in places like Ohio State, in Green Bay, these aren't places where if one cog fails the ship goes under. If we take Mike Tomlin as our coach, we aren't the Steelers model of consistency.

George is probably now going to get some big, obvious choice. And I will be excited by many. Loved the Trace Armstrong chatter, even though I don't know about Ryan Day. Love the idea of Harbaugh/Ireland. 

But all of these will be recreating GM runs scout staff, coach staff reports to GM, etc models that will have the bears relying that two single people get it right.

That's why I kinda like the Trace Armstrong rumor the most, with the idea that he has outside experience to think about how to run this. I am not a ivy-league-oogler but I also find Kwesi Adofo-Mensah an interesting candidate as a VP/head role. 

Ballard is overrated as fuck. He's barely better than Pace. Hold your FO to a higher standard. 

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

Maybe not, but the case for it being possible is it being unknown what contract he's under, they are in transition, and have a good succession plan in Dennis Allen. There is enough respect they may work it out if there is desire. They cannot go through this without knowing.

Are you implying Payton might have an out in his contract for the Bears?  I thought it was public knowledge that he is signed through 2026.  

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Ballard is overrated as fuck. He's barely better than Pace. Hold your FO to a higher standard. 

Ballard shows you how hard things are when you have a mediocre QB.  Ballard is a good GM and for most of the year the Wentz deal looked good...last two weeks....looks like a dumpster fire.  But Colts have a lot of good talent - they are (and remain) a QB away from elevating that football team.  A really good QB makes any GM / HC look a lot smarter.  It is those coaches who have done well without a good QB (and consistently) who I have a lot of respect for, because I think they can be guys who if you find them a good QB, they can actually put said QB in best position to succeed (cause they are used to scheming their units around having a mediocre QB and thus their entire focus is comlimentary football and how to maximize the QB and put them in the best spot.  You do that for a few years with a talented QB and they will actually grow in front of your eyes (I think that is how Brady, Wilson and others developed).  

6 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Ballard shows you how hard things are when you have a mediocre QB.  Ballard is a good GM and for most of the year the Wentz deal looked good...last two weeks....looks like a dumpster fire.  But Colts have a lot of good talent - they are (and remain) a QB away from elevating that football team.  A really good QB makes any GM / HC look a lot smarter.  It is those coaches who have done well without a good QB (and consistently) who I have a lot of respect for, because I think they can be guys who if you find them a good QB, they can actually put said QB in best position to succeed (cause they are used to scheming their units around having a mediocre QB and thus their entire focus is comlimentary football and how to maximize the QB and put them in the best spot.  You do that for a few years with a talented QB and they will actually grow in front of your eyes (I think that is how Brady, Wilson and others developed).  

While this is fair, to quote Jerry Angelo "It's all about the quarterback" 

If you don't have one, you have no chance. 

Alright Bmags - I'll bite on the Payton stuff. Would the Saints take Khalil Mack (Bears just hit his cap hit and suck it up for a year) for Sean Payton?  Either way - with a new GM in place - I am curious with a new front office how they will handle next year. If it were me - I would be willing to take near term cap pain to make 23 / 24 cap space in a fantastic spot - while also looking to add some more draft capital this year so I could focus some attention on finding some weapons for Fields. 

I'd probably do a lot of short-term 1/2 year deals on the defensive end, and the only major contract I would hand would be for an olineman (and if there was a wideout out available they really liked I could buy that too).  

Wow - I don't know if this is true or not, but DABearsBlog seems to have been most in-tune over past month or two on the Bears ownerships views.  As part of that - evidently through back channels Bears made a swing for Ozzie Newsome (for some form of role within the org).  They also have apparently put feelers out to Kevin Colbert (retiring from Steelers) and John Schneider (Seahawks).  Additionally - as has been more widely reported, they did leverage Tony Dungy/Bill Polian to help come to some conclusions (would be curious if they would look at a Dungy to take a football type of role).  

If the above is true - if anything - it tells me McCaskey is thinking bigger with this move.  It seemed like there was a lean for them to get an experienced GM - but not sure how true that is and I presume we will learn more about the structure here in the next 45 minutes.  But sounds like list is fully ready (with help from Polian) and now its a matter of them getting rolling.  

8 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Wow - I don't know if this is true or not, but DABearsBlog seems to have been most in-tune over past month or two on the Bears ownerships views.  As part of that - evidently through back channels Bears made a swing for Ozzie Newsome (for some form of role within the org).  They also have apparently put feelers out to Kevin Colbert (retiring from Steelers) and John Schneider (Seahawks).  Additionally - as has been more widely reported, they did leverage Tony Dungy/Bill Polian to help come to some conclusions (would be curious if they would look at a Dungy to take a football type of role).  

If the above is true - if anything - it tells me McCaskey is thinking bigger with this move.  It seemed like there was a lean for them to get an experienced GM - but not sure how true that is and I presume we will learn more about the structure here in the next 45 minutes.  But sounds like list is fully ready (with help from Polian) and now its a matter of them getting rolling.  

After the shit that guy did with Olin Kreutz over the weekend I don't want to give him any credit at all 😂 

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

what did he do with Kreutz?  

Kreutz told a story on the score last week that in 2018 the bears offered him 15 bucks an hour to come be an assistant O Line coach, which he rightfully laughed in their face.

DBB basically called Olin a liar and then argued with him over Twitter and DBB said he was offering Olin his "platform" to come and explain himself.  Highly embarrassing