2021 NFL Season Thread

Childish. I had heard the Kreutz story - didn't realize the blog was going after him for it. When I heard it - I didn't even know what to think because I don't know what going rate for those types of things are in sports. I know a lot of people take unpaid roles following their pro career so have no idea whether $15 bucks an hour is horrific in terms of how the industry works (I know to most the # is staggeringly low for a former player). Think of all of those "grad assistant" type roles former players take when they go back to their old college and start to try and pick-up as a coach (I think all of those roles are "unpaid").  

Maybe Bears mistake was they offered $15/hr vs. making it an "internship" haha.  Or maybe most teams pay $50K or something for part time roles - no clue.  

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

There was no obvious answer. They should have traded up and drafted one. 

Which rookie QB was giving them a better chance to win this year than Wentz?  If you say Mac Jones, I doubt you believed that before the season.  The reality is the Colts had a win now team and needed a win now QB.  And let’s not ignore the cost of moving up from the 21 spot in the draft to snag a QB.  I just don’t think it’s as simple as you’re making it out to be.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Which rookie QB was giving them a better chance to win this year than Wentz?  If you say Mac Jones, I doubt you believed that before the season.  The reality is the Colts had a win now team and needed a win now QB.  And let’s not ignore the cost of moving up from the 21 spot in the draft to snag a QB.  I just don’t think it’s as simple as you’re making it out to be.

That's the conundrum when you have a win now team and are a QB away. If you grab a win now QB they probably aren't good enough to win with anyway, otherwise they wouldn't be available. 

If the Bears have Kirk Cousins in 2018 do they win anything? Probably not. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

That's the conundrum when you have a win now team and are a QB away. If you grab a win now QB they probably aren't good enough to win with anyway, otherwise they wouldn't be available. 

Can Cousins Kick?

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Who was the obvious QB they should have gotten instead of Wentz?

The media oogling over Ballard is annoying, but his discipline would have been far, far superior to post Emery Bears. Had we just fired Ballard, I'm sure our draft capital and salary cap would be in a different place.

While hilarious they lost to the Jags, and Wentz being terrible, they've had a difficult decision with QB. He builds the team rapidly for Luck, then luck retires right before the season. While the Bears get Foles or Dalton, they were able to get Philip Rivers. They should have last year probably targeted Mac Jones, but with a fully formed team already, I get why they chose this route. Getting Yo-Yo'd by luck for years led to his lack of QB, we'll see what they do now.

• Like 2

Phillips to retain his role; Owner responsible for hiring GM (not TED).  GM will be in charge of football.  George specifically stated they will hire the GM first, than the HC.  Polian will partner with George on the GM hiring process. 

Note: Most good news - but this seems to mean no president of football ops coming and presumably means no Harbaugh / McDaniels, who seem to be the 2 candidates on market who would come before a GM was hired.  

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Phillips to retain his role; Owner responsible for hiring GM (not TED).  GM will be in charge of football.  George specifically stated they will hire the GM first, than the HC.  Polian will partner with George on the GM hiring process. 

Note: Most good news - but this seems to mean no president of football ops coming and presumably means no Harbaugh / McDaniels, who seem to be the 2 candidates on market who would come before a GM was hired.  

He said Ted will help him make the decision 

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

He said Ted will help him make the decision 

Was about to come back and said that Ted will be involved though.  So basically sounds like status quo from when they hired Pace -> other than technically I think Pace originally reported into Ted early in his career before being split out. So now there is that clarity.  

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

Was about to come back and said that Ted will be involved though.  So basically sounds like status quo from when they hired Pace -> other than technically I think Pace originally reported into Ted early in his career before being split out. So now there is that clarity.  

And the clarity confirms George still has no idea how to run a successful football team. 

They need a home run hire at GM.  At this point - that is most important - find that person, lean on them to drive and change broad culture - get right coach and do things right.  My preference would be to find a seasoned GM who has proven that ability (Rick Smith) and than lean on that person and maybe over time you expand the org more and move them into a president role in 2-3 years and start to create REAL bench strength.  

19 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

not necessarily. Especially if they hire Jeff Ireland.

35 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Tom Brady, Peyton Manning.

Only a Chicago team takes the company accountant and decides to put him in the room to hire a football guy.  

This is like the janitor at a hospital sitting in the room during evaluations of the head neurosurgeon.  

Edited by southsideirish71

I find the response to this press conference kind of obnoxious. The same people who 12 hours ago were saying how stupid the bears were because they are keeping Pace and are hopeless just seamlessly transition into how hopeless everything is because Ted Phillips is drawing up a contract and Bill Polian is consulted. It does suck that the Bears are the Bears but at some point they need someone to hire someone and even if they hire a President of Football, George McCaskey still needs to hire them. 

• Like 1

Good example of the temper tantrum of twitter right now.

Yes I'm sure they'd all be quite content if George McCaskey said they will judge the success of the next GM not based on Wins and Losses - they are so random in the NFL. Instead he will judge their process. 

Woulda gone over great!

Just now, bmags said:

Good example of the temper tantrum of twitter right now.

Yes I'm sure they'd all be quite content if George McCaskey said they will judge the success of the next GM not based on Wins and Losses - they are so random in the NFL. Instead he will judge their process. 

Woulda gone over great!

No matter what George has to get it right - that is always the case - so yeah - you are spot on the whining is just not necessary on that regard.  He also indicated something I didn't realize - as he has said that he will be learning something new as he never had a GM report to him (I actually thought Pace reported to him at some point during his tenure so I was wrong there).  

Re: Ireland - he only excites me if you are getting Harbaugh - otherwise, I'm not in love with him (but what do I know).  Smith, if he really is interested, seems like such an obvious answer (unless he is a royal pain to work with, etc).  

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

No matter what George has to get it right - that is always the case - so yeah - you are spot on the whining is just not necessary on that regard.  He also indicated something I didn't realize - as he has said that he will be learning something new as he never had a GM report to him (I actually thought Pace reported to him at some point during his tenure so I was wrong there).  

Re: Ireland - he only excites me if you are getting Harbaugh - otherwise, I'm not in love with him (but what do I know).  Smith, if he really is interested, seems like such an obvious answer (unless he is a royal pain to work with, etc).  

I'm not sure Rick Smith is interested in doing football anymore. My understanding is that he quit to spend more time with his kids when his wife died. 

Could be pulling a Rick Moranis. 

Edited by Jack Parkman