2021 NFL Season Thread

2 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

Heard the same stuff about trying to leverage Harbaugh for more money. Until that happens, press forward on him. 

I am not against Harbaugh but shouldn't he have better results at Michigan to be given what people want to give him?  Is the Big Ten that good that he averages 3.5 losses a season and went 2-4 in the short 2020 season. 

He is 1-5 in Bowl games.

I wouldn't mind him but I do not think they should jump through a lot of hoops to get him.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

So is this a situation where Pullian just ends up getting hired?  Does he have any desire to still do this job, or is he really going to "help".

The Bears at this point don't deserve ANY benefit of the doubt.........but they can't go down a road where they are talking to all these candidates that are getting people excited, then turn around and the 79-year-old leading the search ends up giving it to himself.....I just can't fathom that taking place. 

Just now, Tony said:

The Bears at this point don't deserve ANY benefit of the doubt.........but they can't go down a road where they are talking to all these candidates that are getting people excited, then turn around and the 79-year-old leading the search ends up giving it to himself.....I just can't fathom that taking place. 

Honestly, it feels like the dirtiest answer possible, so I fully expect it to happen.  That being said, I won't pretend to know him or the situation, which I asked to see if there was any actual material reason to fear this could really happen.

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So is this a situation where Pullian just ends up getting hired?  Does he have any desire to still do this job, or is he really going to "help".

No - If they were going to hire him as a president, they would have just done it.  

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Wasn't Dick Cheney the head of Bush's committee to vet VP candidates?

I can just hear the presser . . . we worked so well together . . . impressed with how well he fit into our culture . . . hall of fame credentials . . . 

But I really don't see it happening. I actually think they will get this right. 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Wasn't Dick Cheney the head of Bush's committee to vet VP candidates?

I can just hear the presser . . . we worked so well together . . . impressed with how well he fit into our culture . . . hall of fame credentials . . . 

But I really don't see it happening. I actually think they will get this right. 

Listen, as I said before they don't deserve any benefit of the doubt at this point so I don't want to totally dismiss it haha, but as Jason said, if Polian was a real candidate, they interview him and don't make him the lead in this committee. Plus my guess is Polian doesn't want to get back into the game as an everyday guy anymore. 

We'll see if they get rebuffed by anyone, but the bears are asking all the right people. Now asking Omar Khan to interview, who I deem as low likelihood with Kevin Colbert retiring, but still would be great to hear from. On Khan's side, he may in fact interview just to try and force pitt into announcing him being placed in charge?

I’d like see this go one of two ways and it’s all dependent on Harbaugh.  If we can get Jim, then pair him up with Ireland as GM.  If Jim is off the table, then go Smith or Dodds at GM and an offensive minded guy at HC.  After Harbaugh, I think Roman would be my personal favorite for HC as he’s shown a willingness to adapt and has developed a young mobile QB into a total weapon.  Hell, take a WR in one of the top two rounds (super deep class too) and we’d have very similar playmakers to what Roman has worked with in Baltimore.

Why are they even interviewing head coaches prior to hiring a GM?  

George is still being eviscerated in the media in regard to his press conference.  The guy had zero experience and was handed the organization and continually fails.  Now he has been doing it long enough to think he knows what he is talking about......yet he states he is not a football guy......Polian should have been hired to just be a figure head and we should never EVER hear from George again.

This is the same failed process as they have tried before.  Maybe it works but my guess is it will not as they go with the person that they like the most, not the best for the job. 

22 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

George is still being eviscerated in the media in regard to his press conference.  The guy had zero experience and was handed the organization and continually fails.  Now he has been doing it long enough to think he knows what he is talking about......yet he states he is not a football guy......Polian should have been hired to just be a figure head and we should never EVER hear from George again.

This is the same failed process as they have tried before.  Maybe it works but my guess is it will not as they go with the person that they like the most, not the best for the job. 

This is getting mad just to be mad. These interviews are virtual, they can record them and pass them to the next GM. They can see which head coaches are looking for personnel power and make that decision. The actual list of HC and GMs to date has been excellent, with a diverse mix of scouts vs cap vs operations. Coaches have been mix of veterans, defensive coordinators and offensive guys. 

22 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

You interview now for several reasons.  First, it shows a commitment to the high demand HC candidates while you’re searching for your GM.  Second, it lets you get interviews out of the way with key leadership / ownership so the new GM can move swiftly once in place.

As for the process, I’m not sure what makes this a failed process already or similar to what they’ve done in the past.  Polian is a far better, more relevant football mind to lead this process than Ercosi was and so far (fingers crossed) they’re bringing in every major GM & HC possible, including many GM candidates I’d consider much more modern.  Yes, George could still botch this, but so far I’m not sure there is much to b**** about when it comes to the process.

The history of doing this same process makes it a failed one.   What ahs been added to the process that significantly increases it?   

George is the final decision maker not the other four in the room.  George has done nothing to show that his decision making is not a failed one.

This is the same process that placed John Fox under Ryan Pace.  If they like Leslie Frazier this is the process that will place a coach under a GM because the GM wants the job more than wanting the control to pick their guy.   George wants a good guy that likes him and as such may not end up with the best candidate. 

The 3 in the room could be great but with Ted and George, 40% of those in the room are failures....that 40% has made the decisions previously. 

28 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The history of doing this same process makes it a failed one.   What ahs been added to the process that significantly increases it?   

George is the final decision maker not the other four in the room.  George has done nothing to show that his decision making is not a failed one.

This is the same process that placed John Fox under Ryan Pace.  If they like Leslie Frazier this is the process that will place a coach under a GM because the GM wants the job more than wanting the control to pick their guy.   George wants a good guy that likes him and as such may not end up with the best candidate. 

The 3 in the room could be great but with Ted and George, 40% of those in the room are failures....that 40% has made the decisions previously. 

I mean yeah if they hire Leslie Frazier that is bad process but they do enough dumb stuff that I don't also get annoyed about dumb stuff they haven't done. A week ago this forum was all about their dumb process of how they'd keep pace. Then they fired him and everyone went seamlessly to their dumb process of whose hiring the next. ANd now how they are...um...interviewing candidates.

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

I get what you are saying but the guy is the CEO of the bears and one of the grandkids of the founder.  He will have the final hiring say, regardless of what any of us think

I was listening to Dan Patrick after I dropped kids off at school this morning.  He had Lepatard on who was adamant that Miami is hiring Harbaugh. Said its just an act the statement that he won't lure him. Said Harbaugh is going to NFL and if he is leaving, Ross wants him to run his team not someone elses team and will basically give him a blank check.  

Not sure how connected or not Lepatard is (spelling?) - but hadn't seen it really reported anywhere.  It is Miami so I presume he has pretty good connections given its his backyard.  

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I was listening to Dan Patrick after I dropped kids off at school this morning.  He had Lepatard on who was adamant that Miami is hiring Harbaugh. Said its just an act the statement that he won't lure him. Said Harbaugh is going to NFL and if he is leaving, Ross wants him to run his team not someone elses team and will basically give him a blank check.  

Not sure how connected or not Lepatard is (spelling?) - but hadn't seen it really reported anywhere.  It is Miami so I presume he has pretty good connections given its his backyard.  

That honestly is a very weird situation with the owner having priorities in both opportunities for a coach. It definitely makes sense if Harbaugh is leaving that this owner would know. But Harbaugh is gonna get a blank check pretty much everywhere. That owner seems like such a pushover, I can't see him axing his bestie GM to install JH.

28 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Sounds like Omar Khan is not happy with Pittsburgh since he was told he will not be succeeding Colbert 

Yeah I had no idea he wasn't the heir apparent, was reading the steelersdepot blog and it seems like their scouting coordinator is likely to take over. It mentioned Khan was nearly the Houston Texans GM last year which I did not remember. So it definitely seems real. Dodds Smith and Khan are my top 3 for sure. Really excited.

What I really want to see is the Bears hire 2 of the names on this list. Obviously - first get the GM - than based upon who they've gotten to know, give the GM authority to add more firepower to the room (aligning to the GM's vision of course) - but use these meetings to open the door and create upward mobility. I still say the goal should be to upgrade the overall front office capabilities and that is more than just the GM. For example - maybe Khan is so upset you hire someone else but based upon initial meetings and the right pathway forward - you are able to offer him a lucrative position that puts him closer to where he wants to be (and gets him away from the Steelers).