2021 NFL Season Thread

4 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

So on NFL Network this morning the hosts (don't remember who) were talking about how the Packers OC would be a great HC hire. Anybody have thoughts on that?

He could be - but I am not hiring him. Anyone can look smart working with Rodgers.  

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

He could be - but I am not hiring him. Anyone can look smart working with Rodgers.  

Apparently he was the offensive coordinator the year Bortles and the Jaguars made the AFC Championship game. Fired middle of the next season.

He has the Bears, Broncos, and Jaguars on his interview list this week.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2022/1/12/22879921/packers-oc-nathaniel-hackett-adds-head-coach-interview-with-bears-to-busy-itinerary

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Apparently he was the offensive coordinator the year Bortles and the Jaguars made the AFC Championship game. Fired middle of the next season.

He has the Bears, Broncos, and Jaguars on his interview list this week.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2022/1/12/22879921/packers-oc-nathaniel-hackett-adds-head-coach-interview-with-bears-to-busy-itinerary

It is impressive that he got 35 TD's out of Blake Bortles in a single season. I had no recollection of Bortles having that type of year.  

Was reading about Joe Schoen and how he learned under Brandon Beane. There is such a focus on the draft records of these guys with scouting backgrounds, its funny reading more about Beane - who was on the business and operations side of the Cardinals - and how he has taken a hands on approach in overhauling Buffalo's scouting to great success. And he learned under Gettleman, who was a disaster in NYG.

You just don't know with these guys. That said, I think Dodds would have the most ready point of view. Adofo-Mensah the highest ceiling of changing how departments are run.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Was reading about Joe Schoen and how he learned under Brandon Beane. There is such a focus on the draft records of these guys with scouting backgrounds, its funny reading more about Beane - who was on the business and operations side of the Cardinals - and how he has taken a hands on approach in overhauling Buffalo's scouting to great success. And he learned under Gettleman, who was a disaster in NYG.

You just don't know with these guys. That said, I think Dodds would have the most ready point of view. Adofo-Mensah the highest ceiling of changing how departments are run.

You can see how in this thread people are like “I don’t want this guy for reason X” and the next post adds some important context or a different perspective.

Aside from Harbaugh being a top candidate and being turned down by everyone and raiding the CFL, I struggle to see how any of the candidates named so far is obviously a bad option. Have to see how things come together for a year or two to really judge.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You can see how in this thread people are like “I don’t want this guy for reason X” and the next post adds some important context or a different perspective.

Aside from Harbaugh being a top candidate and being turned down by everyone and raiding the CFL, I struggle to see how any of the candidates named so far is obviously a bad option. Have to see how things come together for a year or two to really judge.

I agree. It seems like they are playing it safe and interviewing candidates that are capable with solid track records. I'm still very optimistic about this change. More than I have been in the past. 

32 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Agreed this is a great crop, especially compared to 2015. Pace was coming from New Orleans after they had sort of unraveled post Super Bowl with lots of bad cap. Ballard was so close to his Bears tenure that you can see why the erred incorrectly. Then Lake Dawson would have been hired with Tennessee in a really mediocre period. Brian Gaine was the other interview.

George paton and DeCosta declined to even interview.

So 4 guys.

You are right in that there are few choices in GM that I would say are bad. In coaches - Frazier I would not be that happy with.

Jeff Ireland I'd be skeptical of, but his drafting alone clearly makes him a strong candidate which our 2015 candidates were pretty weak experience wise.

Jeeze, they had the worst roster in the league.

Rebuilding teams really are going to be forced into either some very weak coaching candidates or some hella-long contracts with what the Dolphins and Texans have now pulled off.

This is the advantage the Bears have. Right or wrong - Bears have facilities and they have ownership that has actually shown patience. That has to resonate - even if draft capital is a bit low and roster is meh (with huge dependency obviously on Fields).  But a clear lack of real playmakers (outside of Roquan).  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Honestly super mean.  They hired him to pilot through the shit waters of this roster and Watson situation  then hand him his walking papers

An was he really that bad? I mean Davis Mills made a ton of progress during the season.  

22 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Honestly super mean.  They hired him to pilot through the shit waters of this roster and Watson situation  then hand him his walking papers

Even “the coach and front office weren’t on the same page” wouldn’t really make sense here. There’s no talented kids he’s refusing to play, they don’t have any. There’s not enough talent to care about schemes, as long as the players didn’t quit on him. Are they mad he didn’t play Tyrod Taylor more? 

Only way it would be justified is if he had some Urban Meyer stuff?

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Even “the coach and front office weren’t on the same page” wouldn’t really make sense here. There’s no talented kids he’s refusing to play, they don’t have any. There’s not enough talent to care about schemes, as long as the players didn’t quit on him. Are they mad he didn’t play Tyrod Taylor more? 

Only way it would be justified is if he had some Urban Meyer stuff?

I won't be surprised if that Jack Easterby guy is still doing weird personnel things that he isn't qualified to do

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I won't be surprised if that Jack Easterby guy is still doing weird personnel things that he isn't qualified to do

The NFL also deserves this - starting the week there were 3 black head coaches. 2 of them were fired in ways that seem to raise eyebrows in 4 days. Mike Tomlin is the only black head coach in the league now.

That's just not something that happens by chance, in a league with this many black players.

34 minutes ago, Marqhead said:

They should hire Bill OBrien. 

THe Bears or are you making smart remark on Texans?  I still say if someone told me BOB was going to play nicely with the front office and learned that he can't juggle both - I think he would move right below Harbaugh as my top candidate.  

Also - as Bmags outlined it - I think the least exciting names to me would be a Frazier/Ireland combination. Both just would be so meh. Maybe they work out - but Ireland only excites me if its because they got a HC with real clout who feels good about partnering with Ireland.  And I'm probably wrong and reality is all of this is a crap shoot because almost every single person is extremely well qualified and its a matter of do they have a bit of luck on their side (their picks don't get hurt - they get lucky and land the right QB, maybe have a late round dart that pays off).

The difference between success and failure can be so small in NFL.