2021 NFL Season Thread

26 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

THe Bears or are you making smart remark on Texans?  I still say if someone told me BOB was going to play nicely with the front office and learned that he can't juggle both - I think he would move right below Harbaugh as my top candidate.  

Just being a smartass re Texans

16 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

THe Bears or are you making smart remark on Texans?  I still say if someone told me BOB was going to play nicely with the front office and learned that he can't juggle both - I think he would move right below Harbaugh as my top candidate.  

Ugh, no thanks.  Really have no use for another “offensive” mind who isn’t good at actually putting a good offense on the field.

Interesting article on the Bears' long struggles in The Athletic (paywalled). It goes over how the Bears have consistently saddled an incoming GM or coach with the previous regime's coach or QB.

https://theathletic.com/3069761/2022/01/14/it-all-starts-with-the-mccaskeys-how-the-bears-ended-up-in-an-endless-cycle-of-inheriting-the-previous-regimes-trash/

Edited by StrangeSox
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I guess if you were hopeful you would see things improving slightly each time. Angelo being hired in june, holy crap I forgot about that. Had no idea Mel Tucker was told he could only run lovie's scheme. Obviously he's gone on to become a better coach, you'd think at some point they'd have said "hey maybe we should find a guy who has run a cover 2".

Nagy had plenty to work with, QB issues aside. Ryan Pace and Nagy could have worked if they were the right choices, but it wasn't the ideal starting point ever. And even with fields that's the case again. That said, this search is just so different. It should have never taken this long, and plenty of orgs have had the right set-up and failed, but hopefully things are finally aligned here.

I am sure Mitch agent is leaking some of this stuff too - help get Mitch another shot.  But the quotes about Mitch in training camp saying this stuff isn't working, having issues, pointing out options - coaches ignoring. Not good.  

Allen Robinson on radio today with Keyshawn, Jayson, & Max - basically threw coaching staff under the bus.  Maintained professionalism - but basically said game plans were horrendous (in particular how they were going to use him).  Nagy had not spoke to Allen Robinson between the playoff loss and 1st training camp (which was odd to Robinson since he implied they always had a tight relationship).  

He indicated he doesn't expect to get tagged again.  

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I am sure Nagy's agent is leaking some of this stuff too - help get Mitch another shot.  But the quotes about Mitch in training camp saying this stuff isn't working, having issues, pointing out options - coaches ignoring. Not good.  

Allen Robinson on radio today with Keyshawn, Jayson, & Max - basically threw coaching staff under the bus.  Maintained professionalism - but basically said game plans were horrendous (in particular how they were going to use him).  Nagy had not spoke to Allen Robinson between the playoff loss and 1st training camp (which was odd to Robinson since he implied they always had a tight relationship).  

He indicated he doesn't expect to get tagged again.  

Too much smoke at this point, and I 100% trust the reporting of Jahns, Fish, etc. 

Nagy looks AWFUL right now, and based on what we saw in Fields rookie season, you really have to wonder what Mitch could have been. 

22 minutes ago, Tony said:

Too much smoke at this point, and I 100% trust the reporting of Jahns, Fish, etc. 

Nagy looks AWFUL right now, and based on what we saw in Fields rookie season, you really have to wonder what Mitch could have been. 

I don't think Mitch was ever going to be worth the pick and the resources spent to get the pick. I think he could be an average NFL QB at best because he just can't throw the deep ball. He CERTAINLY would've been better than his actual Bears tenure, though. Nagy's offense never worked and he should've been let go after last season.

3 minutes ago, almagest said:

I don't think Mitch was ever going to be worth the pick and the resources spent to get the pick. I think he could be an average NFL QB at best because he just can't throw the deep ball. He CERTAINLY would've been better than his actual Bears tenure, though. Nagy's offense never worked and he should've been let go after last season.

It always seemed to me that Mitch just couldn't process things quick enough and read defenses quick enough but was he coached up at all while here? Was he put in a position to succeed? 

I was never a huge Mitch guy, and traditionally I always put most of the blame on players, not the coaching staff that isn't actually on the field....but given that Mitch was raw and really needed to be developed while in the NFL, it certainly seems like he was brought into a terrible situation with a HC that was in WAY over his skis. 

50 minutes ago, Tony said:

It always seemed to me that Mitch just couldn't process things quick enough and read defenses quick enough but was he coached up at all while here? Was he put in a position to succeed? 

I was never a huge Mitch guy, and traditionally I always put most of the blame on players, not the coaching staff that isn't actually on the field....but given that Mitch was raw and really needed to be developed while in the NFL, it certainly seems like he was brought into a terrible situation with a HC that was in WAY over his skis. 

He absolutely wasn't put in a position to succeed, and with proper instruction and having someone listen to his feedback I think he would've been competent.

Also, I'm a senior leader in my day job and I can't believe some of the things I read in that Athletic article. I would NEVER treat people the way Nagy did, especially the ones who actually give a shit and WANT to learn.

Edited by almagest

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Almost no young QB really is that great at processing the field and reading.  You only see that advancement come years down the road (with rare exceptions). Even the best young QB's - when you really look at their offense - they have been simplified to be go here or there or there type of items. They need to be accurate, quick to process and more recently rely on athleticism to help overcome their real weaknesses at just being a master at reading a D. 

Now once you are 5, than 10 years into the league - well - at that point you don't have same athleticism - but you've seen everything and naturally are going to be much better at the other things. I think it is a total misconception that most elite young QB's are great at reading D's (I just think they are put in better positions and than obviously have to have quick releases and all that other stuff). They do need to play within a playclock.

It is why I think when you look at how Chiefs or Cardinals used mahomes/Murray early - you can see how they do it.  My lone exception is probably someone like Mac Jones. 

It is curious with the QBs under Nagy, how they all looked exactly the same bad. The greater experience and processing time gave a little flavor differently but when mitch was running well was about the only time it all looked ok.

Mitch was never going to be a high-end QB.  It’s very clear the NFL was too fast for him and his decision-making would always be subpar.  Let’s not let an Athletic article change our conviction there.  He was a bust of a pick the day we drafted him, we obviously just didn’t know it at the time.

Yes, Nagy did a terrible job coaching him and didn’t always adjust to Mitch’s strengths.  I think it’s possible that Mitch could have developed into a slightly below average, but still somewhat competent starting QB with someone else in charge.  Either way, it’s good that Nagy is gone because Fields needs a coach that will prioritize his development and adapt to his strengths. 

• Like 2

I wonder if some guys buy into the hype when they are hired and think that somehow now they have to be 2x better at what got them to this point.  It seems like the guys that really flame out try to be smarter than they are. Just keep doing what got you to this point and grow into the job. The Bears ownership and fans will give you your full contract time to make it work. 

3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

How on earth did they not shit can Nagy after last season.  They let that clueless bastard keep his job after they knew he lost the team.  That's really hard to believe even for that F'd up team. 

Great point. Why aren't the players picking their next head coach?

I believe Hacket and Flores are on the docket today in terms of HC candidates. Seems to be a ton of recent press around now dynamic Hacket is. I just think anyone can look good around Rodgers but I get the fact that he did get a crazy good year out of Bortles. 

If it weren’t for Nagy and how bad that went I probably wouldn’t be as anti Hackett. 

13 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I believe Hacket and Flores are on the docket today in terms of HC candidates. Seems to be a ton of recent press around now dynamic Hacket is. I just think anyone can look good around Rodgers but I get the fact that he did get a crazy good year out of Bortles. 

If it weren’t for Nagy and how bad that went I probably wouldn’t be as anti Hackett. 

Flores interviewed yesterday.

4 hours ago, bmags said:

This is such a weird way to phrase a report

That is weird. I believe unsaid is anyone can claim they are expecting to be interviewed, Fowler took and additional step to verify if there was something to the statement.  By the way, as a source next to Jas, I'm telling everyone he's expecting to be interviewed for the GM position.  

Is this a position for a 1st time HC or is this a position for a fired HC? ( and they all have been fired). I'm not that excited about Caldwell.