2021 NFL Season Thread

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

Now that is a legit gripe by Cowboys. Ref clearly made difference in them getting one more play. Still - they should have just done one more sideline pass. 

No that’s on Dak. The Ref has to touch the ball by rule, which means he needs a path through the line. The ball was in position because Dak gave the ball to the center, not the ref himself. 

That said, the bigger mistake was not running towards the sideline. You have to run out of bounds there and I think he had a shot.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

No that’s on Dak. The Ref has to touch the ball by rule, which means he needs a path through the line. The ball was in position because Dak gave the ball to the center, not the ref himself. 

That said, the bigger mistake was not running towards the sideline. You have to run out of bounds there and I think he had a shot.

Fair point - he should have made space but I feel I have seen the refs do less. 

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

That was the dumbest football game I've ever watched.  

McCarthy has to be gone, with Kellen Moore likely to take his place before he gets snatched up by another team.

Cowboys continue to underachieve in the post-season...although SF almost handed them back the game which seemed like a blowout at 23-7.

Continues to seem a possibility that ANY of the 8 remaining teams can the Super Bowl at this point.   Will be happy with any match-up other than TItans and Packers.

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Fair point - he should have made space but I feel I have seen the refs do less. 

I've noticed substantial variance in the amount of time it takes the refs to get the ball spotted and ready for play during a last minute drive. Maybe it's time to switch to the college rule of having the clock stop on first downs during the last 2 minutes--take the human element out of it.

There was also a big screwup after the fake punt when the Cowboys wanted to snap it quickly to trap the 49ers punt return team on the field but they spotted the ball in the wrong place and then had to fix it and at that point Dallas ran their offense back out on the field and ended up with a delay of game penalty.

I've just seen way too many bad performances from refs this year. They need to be better. I'm honestly surprised more people aren't questioning the integrity of betting on games with all the stuff that's happened.

9 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I've noticed substantial variance in the amount of time it takes the refs to get the ball spotted and ready for play during a last minute drive. Maybe it's time to switch to the college rule of having the clock stop on first downs during the last 2 minutes--take the human element out of it.

There was also a big screwup after the fake punt when the Cowboys wanted to snap it quickly to trap the 49ers punt return team on the field but they spotted the ball in the wrong place and then had to fix it and at that point Dallas ran their offense back out on the field and ended up with a delay of game penalty.

I've just seen way too many bad performances from refs this year. They need to be better. I'm honestly surprised more people aren't questioning the integrity of betting on games with all the stuff that's happened.

Absolutely hate college rules and in general when we treat specific parts of a game as different 

That’s the risk when you don’t go out of bounds. It was just a dumb dumb play.

11 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

That post fake punt thing just made no sense, that was the Cowboys being stupid again. They weren’t going to snap the ball to their punter with no QB on the field. Half their team was standing there staring at the sidelines, the punter wandered from the QB spot to a slot receiver spot and seemed to have no idea what he was doing there.

Seriously those screwups in that game were all the Cowboys. You want to complain about the ignored whistle in the Raiders game you have a point, but those Cowboys plays were just dumb by the cowboys. If you need every second then you can’t rely on the speed of a ref running 25 yards and then maneuvering through your O line with no hole made for him. If you haven’t practiced that, then don’t call a QB run up the middle! If you’re trying to pull off a trick play like that then every single person needs to know exactly what to do and you have to think through how to make it work correctly with the rules.

• Like 1

Dodds interviews today.

I'm a bit surprised how few interviews a day are happening, but actually very impressed the Bears are not rushing this. The fact that they are mimicking the vikings search is again making me hopeful.

As much as Schoen/Daboll seems great, the whole "let's just recreate what another franchise does here with their #2s" never seems to work that well does it? Otherwise we'd all be terrified of how the Texans are about to become New England south.

Not saying I'm against either, I like both, and Daboll has that key trait of adjusting to counter opponents weaknesses. His career actually reminds me a lot of Arians and even Fangio.

But I don't think it's wise now to just throw plans out the window and throw ourselves at them because they had a peak game.

17 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

McCarthy has to be gone, with Kellen Moore likely to take his place before he gets snatched up by another team.

Cowboys continue to underachieve in the post-season...although SF almost handed them back the game which seemed like a blowout at 23-7.

Continues to seem a possibility that ANY of the 8 remaining teams can the Super Bowl at this point.   Will be happy with any match-up other than TItans and Packers.

I keep seeing this but what did the Cowboys offense do yesterday that makes you ready to hand Moore the hc job?

4 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

I keep seeing this but what did the Cowboys offense do yesterday that makes you ready to hand Moore the hc job?

It was a mess.

Stems more from a fear of Moore leaving, being snatched up by another team...losing out on the next McVay type of mentality.

Seems the last 24 hours, things have shifted to either Quinn or retaining McCarthy for one more season.

Kind of like the 2020-21 White Sox, putting up huge numbers beating up on their own division, but struggling (I think the Cowboys were .500) outside of it.

Edited by caulfield12

45 minutes ago, Marqhead said:

That was one of the worst offensive halves I’ve ever seen from a team and I’ve watched a lot of Bears football. 

I was going to come on hear and say that play calling looked like Nagys. Awful trick plays…tons of lateral movement…inability to consistently run. Murray was awful too. I am not a Kingsbury fan either. I want to see a game so hoping they have a comeback. 

Seems like AZ has been struggling for the past six weeks, if not longer.

All the OU QB's (Mayfield, Hurts, Murray) not having the greatest endings to their seasons.

On the plus side, setting up four really interesting games next weekend.    Would think that SF/GB is the only game that could be pretty one-sided, but the 49ers have been one of the hottest teams in football down the stretch and Deebo Samuel is the most dangerous player in the league right now, unless you go with Tyreek Hill or JaMarr Chase.

Fwiw, nice to see Odell Beckham having fun playing the game again.  The Rams have so many stars on that team.  Kupp, Stafford, Donald, Von Miller, OBJr and Jalen Ramsey.

They showed the numbers after Hopkins went down, Arizonas offense completely cratered.   But man, even losing Hopkins shouldn't have meant that big of a difference.  Murray looked scared yesterday the entire game, everything was over rushed.  That second INT was him throwing a howitzer at a running back from 7 feet away, just a little bit of finesse and he was fine

I sorta gagged when I saw this, but after reading up on him was glad he's included (also vikes are going to meet with him too):

He's not had a good defensive roster or offense to take any heat off the defense yet, and is generally seen as overperforming with the units (much more so last year). The NY media all sees it as a priority he stays.

But in reading some articles - one of the few writeups of belicheck disciples that sees affible and that the key to his dominance is adaptability and changing your scheme to antagonize the other team and put your players in best position. Not sure if he's ready yet and most concerned about staff, but he definitely seems like he's on a fast track to being an HC. Reminds me of Vrabel honestly, he came to TN when HOU had a pretty terrible year. I think it's good when these guys are tagged early as HC material for more than coordinator dominance.

I’ll keep stressing it, but go get the best offensive-minded HC possible.  Optimizing that side of the ball is critical for developing Fields and it’s way easier to find a quality defensive coordinator than it is an offensive one.  I get there are things to like about Flores and some of the other defensive-oriented candidates, but I think it would be a huge mistake to go that route.  Daboll or someone like him as HC plus Fangio as DC is the way to go here.

4 hours ago, bmags said:

I sorta gagged when I saw this, but after reading up on him was glad he's included (also vikes are going to meet with him too):

He's not had a good defensive roster or offense to take any heat off the defense yet, and is generally seen as overperforming with the units (much more so last year). The NY media all sees it as a priority he stays.

But in reading some articles - one of the few writeups of belicheck disciples that sees affible and that the key to his dominance is adaptability and changing your scheme to antagonize the other team and put your players in best position. Not sure if he's ready yet and most concerned about staff, but he definitely seems like he's on a fast track to being an HC. Reminds me of Vrabel honestly, he came to TN when HOU had a pretty terrible year. I think it's good when these guys are tagged early as HC material for more than coordinator dominance.

I wonder if his name pops up as a DC candidate for Bears (vs. HC candidate). Could be an interview helps get you fast-tracked to grab him. Not sure how much he crossed paths with Daboll - but could be a really nice dynamic pairing (HC and DC). I say that because I presume Graham is at risk given Giants hiring a new coach (but I know he is clearly widely respected around the league - so is Desai).  The thing I like about Fangio - he probably isn't going for any HC job in the future, so you get someone pretty locked in to being a DC. The only question is whether he wants to coach immediately or take a year off.