2021 NFL Season Thread

Giants starting 2nd round of GM interviews. Reailty is there are enough candidates out there that they can lose out due to speed - however, I would have to think Bears get to 2nd round of interviews by Thursday (at the latest).  Would think hire made by this weekend so they can pivot to the HC 2nd round interviews next week.  

If I were Daboll - I don't think I am choosing the Giants.  They just haven't given their head coaches enough time - but if they do hire Shoen (the reported front-runner/current Bills Asst GM) - at the very least it makes Daboll a stronger candidate there. I just don't see what you do a QB, Jones clearly isn't the guy and while they have draft picks - there isn't a top QB this year, which means you are basically punting on '22 (unless of course you plan on getting Deshaun - which is probably the Giants best path forward. That said - Deshaun in a large market knowing his whole situation is still way up in the air (from a legal / NFL suspension standpiont) - not sure getting dropped into a media market like NY is a great idea.  

Reality is - as much as I like the idea of pairing 2, biggest thing is GM has comfort level with the HC (and vice versa).  I see a benefit to getting a Khan or someone else to pair with Daboll (who outside of Harbaugh is by far my personal favorite candidate at this point).  But if you pair him with a qualified candidate from a Non Bills, but successful org, it gives you 2 people who can bring unique perspectives to solving the Bears going forward and to pushing the envelope to move the overall org to a best in class org.  

8 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I'll probably watch all 4 games, but Allen vs Mahomes is the can't miss game for me. Josh Allen is my favorite non-Bear player.

Bills- Chiefs looks like a monster mash. Right now the two best AFC squads. Bills offense put up a perfect game on Billy B but Mahomes almost matched it.

54 minutes ago, pcq said:

Bills- Chiefs looks like a monster mash. Right now the two best AFC squads. Bills offense put up a perfect game on Billy B but Mahomes almost matched it.

Yeah, the Bills rode Allen to 7 straight TDs, but for the 8th drive, when they wanted to lose yards, they brought in a QB with experience at losing yards.

I don’t know about everyone else but so far, Im extremely pleased with how the Bears are conducting their search. As a White Sox game it has made me extremely jealous.

They’re taking their time and interviewing everyone. People of all different backgrounds and specialities and a lot of these candidates are people of color too.

I doubt that they’ll make a hire after this week but I could see it happening soon, like mid week next week.

Hoping for Dodds, Morocco Brown, one of the Cleveland guys or Schoen

24 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

I don’t know about everyone else but so far, Im extremely pleased with how the Bears are conducting their search. As a White Sox game it has made me extremely jealous.

They’re taking their time and interviewing everyone. People of all different backgrounds and specialities and a lot of these candidates are people of color too.

I doubt that they’ll make a hire after this week but I could see it happening soon, like mid week next week.

Hoping for Dodds, Morocco Brown, one of the Cleveland guys or Schoen

Do teams still have to wait for an assistant coach to be out of the playoffs before offering them a job?

I suppose the only rational would be if they think they know the coach they are getting and he is the type where the GM is going that way. But that is grasping at straws. Or they are about to make an aggressive pitch for Harbaugh but just aren't saying it.  That or they are just worried - 3 GM openings vs. however many HC openings and thus prioritizing that way (but THAT is not the right answer). If anything - that would have told me if you were so dead set on hiring right GM first you wouldn't have wasted your time with any HC (yet).  

I do think the wide net should give very independent assessments and views on the org and roster etc - which at a minimum can be informative to hopefully give George and Ted the view that they should green light a rebuild (if that is a widely held view).  

35 minutes ago, bmags said:

Wow my confidence in this search just cratered with the announcement they are scheduling next round HC interviews before GM. Same shit different year.

Ok - I am catching up on news - they have a 2nd interview with Eberflus for NEXT week. I presume if anything that tells me they intend to have GM hired by that point.  I have to think we hear 2nd round GM's start coming out soon and those will be scheduled THIS week. If the timing ends up differing - than that becomes a big red flag, unless they are going Harbaugh or someone else who is going to have full say with the GM more reporting into them.  

9 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Ok - I am catching up on news - they have a 2nd interview with Eberflus for NEXT week. I presume if anything that tells me they intend to have GM hired by that point.  I have to think we hear 2nd round GM's start coming out soon and those will be scheduled THIS week. If the timing ends up differing - than that becomes a big red flag, unless they are going Harbaugh or someone else who is going to have full say with the GM more reporting into them.  

Even so, the problem is them creating a shortlist for the GM rather than allowing the GM to run the search based on the info already gathered. That is unless they are farther along in a GM but that seems unlikely given the names still to interview.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Even so, the problem is them creating a shortlist for the GM rather than allowing the GM to run the search based on the info already gathered. That is unless they are farther along in a GM but that seems unlikely given the names still to interview.

We are assuming the list is a short list - as long as the GM knows when he comes in - if he says - nope I don't like that name based upon the zoom and my own intelligence, I want to add that name, and they have full reigns to do that - I don't see any issue there.  I kind of thinking of it as - they have zoom calls ready for the new GM but have calendars aligned - even if only 70% of it is right - it is 70% better than if the new GM came in from scratch.  

7 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

We are assuming the list is a short list - as long as the GM knows when he comes in - if he says - nope I don't like that name based upon the zoom and my own intelligence, I want to add that name, and they have full reigns to do that - I don't see any issue there.  I kind of thinking of it as - they have zoom calls ready for the new GM but have calendars aligned - even if only 70% of it is right - it is 70% better than if the new GM came in from scratch.  

Eberflus isn't in playoffs though and is just a few hours away. I have a hard time giving them benefit of the doubt on that. 

Why can’t the Bears just accept change and hire a GM first who is best fit for the job and they have a say on who the next HC will be. They haven’t learned one thing and are doing the same exact thing by hiring people they like or know instead of the candidate that is best fit for the job. They are setting themselves up again to be in the same position 4 years from now. 🤦‍♂️

Edited by maloney.adam

Dodds withdraws. This is the bad news day I see.

He had a personality I worried about at the top, plus in an interview with a beat writer he loved scouting so much I wondered if he really wanted a GM role like this.

But, maybe he told George and Ted what they didn't want to hear and in 5 years we'll be interviewing his asst gm 

41 minutes ago, bmags said:

Dodds withdraws. This is the bad news day I see.

He had a personality I worried about at the top, plus in an interview with a beat writer he loved scouting so much I wondered if he really wanted a GM role like this.

But, maybe he told George and Ted what they didn't want to hear and in 5 years we'll be interviewing his asst gm 

Twitter is saying he didn't interview well; maybe that is the case, maybe not. Fact that he worked for the Colts and the Polian ties, I tend to think this probably wasn't a good fit for him and he's better as an Asst GM.  I do continue to say that I hope the Bears take one of the GM runner ups and pay them the money to become an Asst GM.  

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

Wait - seriously?  Is this real?  

On 1/10/2022 at 3:13 PM, Tony said:

We just see things way different. 

They are doing things the same way they always do. George took over in 2011 and doesn't have a playoff win to his name as Owner. 

Expect similar results. Enjoy! 

mr-bean-wave.gif

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Wow my confidence in this search just cratered with the announcement they are scheduling next round HC interviews before GM. Same shit different year.

Kind of strange they are hiring a guy who most likely has never been a GM, and giving him all the power, but basically saying he doesn't have the skills to hire his own coach. 

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Kind of strange they are hiring a guy who most likely has never been a GM, and giving him all the power, but basically saying he doesn't have the skills to hire his own coach. 

I've heard optimists say perhaps they have circled their GMs at this point, and if they all had eberflus overlapping, why not. But it seems unlikely. More likely they just loved eberflus.

Colts DVOA for defense wasn't as impressive as I'd expected. But I still think he's a pretty talented coach and seems well liked. Should have a lot of coach contacts.

Also MIZ.

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The other thing that scares me is if you are the best candidate but not in love with Justin Fields, you have no shot.

That is where hopefully Polian is giving the right advice in this. But the  Bears need to take the intel they get to really level set George & Ted on what the current state of the org is.