2021 NFL Season Thread

5 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I saw where an exec said trading Fields is a possibility. If they did decide to trade him would they be able to come close to recouping what they gave up?

Who are they trading him for? Only place I could imagine would be the Texans? Otherwise doesn't seem like any big name QB on the market (unless I'm mistaken).  I think people are linking this to the Flores is a front-runner w/Bears talk and if that is the case he clearly is tied to Watson thus the Bears must be looking to move on from Fields.  

I do think Bears need to be honest and realize any GM taking this job gets 2 bites at the apple - bite 1 might be Fields and bite 2 is whatever they do post-Fields.  And that might be as honest as - we don't know what we have in Fields and need a year and really want to do a soft refresh now. Really rebuild the roster, move big pieces, and quite frankly stink next year - but stink smartly, so we are putting playmakers around Fields and putting him in a position to show US he is the right candidate - while at the same time - putting better parts around the team and positioning it so that if it isn't Fields - the infastructure is better for them to land the next QB (whether in the draft or via trade or via free agency).  If I were a GM - that is what I would do.  

If the new GM does not believe in Fields then by all means trade him and get what you can get back. This is all Pace's stuff. If the new GM wants a total fresh start then that's on him. This franchise needs a ton of draft capital as it is cause of Pace.

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

If the new GM does not believe in Fields then by all means trade him and get what you can get back. This is all Pace's stuff. If the new GM wants a total fresh start then that's on him. This franchise needs a ton of draft capital as it is cause of Pace.

I would be surprised though - to me if I'm a GM - I think I have enough work to do on building up and finding special players that I have no idea how or why you would dump Fields at this point.  But I would want to have the ability to come in and blow things up and trade aging players and start over on defense and accumulate some chips, even if you are taking short-term pain in terms of cap ramifications etc.  The new GM has to have that ability - if they are under some edict from George to win immediately and push in chips to do that - it just won't work. 

That isn't to say the rebuild should take years - cause in the NFL - you can pivot pretty darn quickly.  

Seems like more smoke coming out that the Fields stuff is all coming from Flores - who is so committed to Watson.  I liked what Flores got out of his squad in Miami, but how he did it (a turnstyle of coordinators; non-sensical way they handled Tua, etc) and now with these leaks.  There is nothing about Flores that I want (unless there is this giant mis-information campaign going on out there).  

Honestly - even though he isn't an excellent schematic guy - he is forward looking on analytics, highly respected, has a ton of connections, etc.  So I think he has a lot of those qualities where he might be a better CEO (especially in his 2nd shift) vs. the first time. But it certainly doesn't excite me.  I just think if you go defense - I like Bowles so much more - schematically, etc - just love the way he's built elite defenses across multiple stops and quite frankly he was the best thing the Jets have had in a long time (so I see why he failed).  

But nothing would irk me more than like Ireland / Frazier. Again - maybe that actually ends up being a brilliant move and they win superbowl(s) together but I would have zero buy-in / excitement out of the gate.  

6 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

I want a scout surrounded by a lot of analytics people. So give me Morocco Brown

I like Morocco Brown, but I feel like the opposite set up would be better. I don’t think there’s a shortage of good scouts in the NFL, I think it’s better the guy in charge makes sure the scouts have enough opportunities to get the right guys. Brown is well rounded enough I think he would be good in the role, but a great scout in a GM role is no sure thing.

10 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

God help us all if this happens.

While the Eberflus process was bad yesterday, reports like these remind me so much of the CW on the bears keeping Pace despite now knowing they had polian working on replacements for weeks.

Why would the Bears trade Fields? I mean, ok let's say they trade him for the 14th pick. Who will they take? Matt Corral? What good does that serve?

15 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I saw where an exec said trading Fields is a possibility. If they did decide to trade him would they be able to come close to recouping what they gave up?

Was it an executive? The only one I read was some goof on twitter that I've never heard of

Some very welcome news

I don't particularly understand why (candidate preference?), but it did seem incredibly silly to just be interviewing 1 a day and building out the list AND scheduling a 2nd coach interview.

I was so excited they had a list that included Khan and Smith and guys like Joe Hortiz...but then they never were announced. 

Hopefully they did actually interview.

37 minutes ago, bmags said:

Some very welcome news

I don't particularly understand why (candidate preference?), but it did seem incredibly silly to just be interviewing 1 a day and building out the list AND scheduling a 2nd coach interview.

I was so excited they had a list that included Khan and Smith and guys like Joe Hortiz...but then they never were announced. 

Hopefully they did actually interview.

I am so confused why you do some and not others unless there is some misdirection or a reason they announce certain ones.  I don't know - maybe best thing to do is just wait and see what happens. Than react from there. I mean 2 weeks ago everyone thought Pace was a high probability of returning and we know that was so far wrong with Polian having been doing a deep operative mission quietly evaluating the Bears for a good chunk of the season.  

37 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Both good candidates. McKenzie knows how to draft and find talent - I do think he has his limitations but he was a huge part in Raiders turning things around and with the Packers he was part of a great front office. He is on the older side though - not that that is a bad thing. 

I will also caveat that I really couldn’t complain with Leftwich. He had called plays for a while - my hesitation is always related to how much I judge anyone for their work with a GOAT like Brady but he has been there and done it and had to tailor offenses to fit his QB. 

I still prefer Dabol who literally built the scheme. I also would say Dorsey in Buffalo played a huge part too (not Dabol like) but if somehow Bears went with Frazier (doesn’t excite me) I would hope we saw him able to grab a real good OC.