2021 NFL Season Thread

22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Another random fact, but nine of the 14 playoff teams this year were led by offensive minded HCs.  The other five teams were the Patriots (Belichick), Steelers (Tomlin), Titans (Vrabel), & Bills (McDermott), all led by former DCs, plus the Raiders (Bisaccia).  I get that’s an incredibly small sample, but the league has been shifting towards more offense centric HCs over the past half decade and there is a reason for this.

Also, if you look at that list, two of defensive oriented guys had HoF QBs for much of their career (not trying to discredit them, but the point can’t be ignored either), one has lost two OCs to HC gigs in just four seasons, and the other guy is about to lose the OC that helped develop their young star QB.  Point is, everything comes down to the QB position and you should want a HC who gives you the best chance at developing one.  Again, give me Daboll or Leftwich to work with Fields and build a consistent offensive system rather than risk having turnover at the OC spot and it potentially stunting Justin’s development.  If we already had an established QB I’d potentially feel different about being a defensive minded HC, but obviously that’s not the case.

Just to keep saying it, someone should hire Bieniemy.

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I really don’t know why people think “you only get one shot at this” is the case in the NFL.

Ryan Pace was GM for 7 years. In that time, he inherited Cutler, acquired Glennon and Dalton as FAs, traded for Foles, and drafted Fields and Trubisky. For only getting one chance, he seems to have gotten 5. Plus, he had chances to draft QBs like Prescott and Hurts who are now starting other places.

A little more restrictive on coaches I will grant, but Trubisky, Dalton, and Foles we’re all given to Nagy, and if he had wanted someone different he could have worked with the GM on that.

Plus, these guys are paid very well for these jobs. And to top that off, these guys will likely land on their feet. Nagy can be a coordinator again, and if he has success there - we are seeing a few retreads who might get chances this year already. 

As long as your team doesn’t implode like under Trestman, the GM and coach have a number of chances to figure this out Ofer the next 3-4 years.

The game we are watching today:

Jason Licht drafted Jameis and fired two coaches.

Les Snead drafted Goff, and survived.

Unless things are just an absolute dumpster fire like Gettleman, Emery, they tend to get time to correct.

But it’s true they tend not to get re-hired.

21 minutes ago, bmags said:

The game we are watching today:

Jason Licht drafted Jameis and fired two coaches.

Les Snead drafted Goff, and survived.

Unless things are just an absolute dumpster fire like Gettleman, Emery, they tend to get time to correct.

But it’s true they tend not to get re-hired.

Am I getting all this right…

a first, two thirds, and a fourth for Trubisky, two firsts for Fields, a fourth for Foles. $10 million for Dalton, $20 million for Glennon, $20 million for Trubisky, $24 million cap hut for Foles, next year will be up to like $10 million for Fields? So 7 draft picks and over $80 million in cap space over about a 6 year period? 

47 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Rodgers 1000%. Brady has won too much in his career for me to care.

Bucs really missed Antonio Brown and Godwin...almost felt sorry for Brady at end of first half.  Before the Rams almost flubbed it away.

Rams might be the most talented team overall, but hard to go against Mahomes if the Chiefs get back again.

(Although those four points given away by Butker will likely come back to bite them.)  Still, KC just has so much speed at the skill positions...

And boom responds Buffalo.  Might need the best weekend of playoff football in decades, if ever.

Edited by caulfield12

52 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Bucs really missed Antonio Brown and Godwin...almost felt sorry for Brady at end of first half.  Before the Rams almost flubbed it away.

Rams might be the most talented team overall, but hard to go against Mahomes if the Chiefs get back again.

(Although those four points given away by Butker will likely come back to bite them.)  Still, KC just has so much speed at the skill positions...

And boom responds Buffalo.  Might need the best weekend of playoff football in decades, if ever.

For your information, the three greatest weekends in football history all took place in January of 1986. 

• Love 1