2021 NFL Season Thread

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

Bill Polian and his group need to be done after today. If Poles is now the GM, he should be the one conducting final interviews. 

I am okay if Poles is in charge but basically able to leverage Polian as a sounding board (but everything would have to be on Poles terms).  Poles is now the guy.  And I have zero complaints with the move.  

Poles is a bigger wild card than I would have targeted, as I said. I think Adofo-Mensah can do great in Minny which has a much better infrastructure left to him post Spielman.

But, after weeks of constant sniping about stuff that didn't happen, they didn't hire a coach first, they didn't hire a "polian" connection or colts west.

It's possible now that Caldwell will be forced on this guy. But considering he had the pick of two orgs I'd be surprised. That would be a bad sign, however.

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

I am okay if Poles is in charge but basically able to leverage Polian as a sounding board (but everything would have to be on Poles terms).  Poles is now the guy.  And I have zero complaints with the move.  

He has to be the one making the call. Bill Polian took them to this point. Hired a GM, and lined up some HC candidates. Fine, thank you for your service. You did exactly what was asked if you. 

But if we find out the HC was “paired” with Poles like they did with Fox and Pace…..it’s the same old song and dance as last time. 

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

He has to be the one making the call. Bill Polian took them to this point. Hired a GM, and lined up some HC candidates. Fine, thank you for your service. You did exactly what was asked if you. 

But if we find out the HC was “paired” with Poles like they did with Fox and Pace…..it’s the same old song and dance as last time. 

I completely agree with you - that would make no sense. What I do find interesting is - Poles worked in KC for a while - what does he think of Doug Pederson / Bienemy.  If Bienemy isn't on the list - i presume that tells you all you need to know on Poles view of him as a HC.  In Pederson case - could he be an OC candidate to get back in (maybe paired with Quinn)?  But Poles has worked with multiple GM's in KC, many of which came from different orgs previously - so presumably has some pretty good connections.  

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

I will assume someone who had another GM job had the leverage to be able to come in and make whatever decision on HC as he wants. Meaning - if Bears were going to force a hire on him - he could have always went and taken the Vikings job where that wasn't the case, so to me he had all the leverage to make me believe there is no way he is being forced any HC (and the Bears seem to be pretty honest about fact they got that wrong with Fox/Pace 6 years ago).  

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

I completely agree with you - that would make no sense. What I do find interesting is - Poles worked in KC for a while - what does he think of Doug Pederson / Bienemy.  If Bienemy isn't on the list - i presume that tells you all you need to know on Poles view of him as a HC.  In Pederson case - could he be an OC candidate to get back in (maybe paired with Quinn)?  But Poles has worked with multiple GM's in KC, many of which came from different orgs previously - so presumably has some pretty good connections.  

I hadn’t heard of Poles until like Sunday, so I won’t pretend I have ANY idea of what sort of GM he will be. All I can be is somewhat hopeful, but the Bears track record tells us to be doubtful.

All I ask is they just conduct this thing the right way and give the GM and HC an actual chance to succeed. 

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I thought it was Dan Quinn he was fond of?

Reports have linked him to Quinn - but he was a college teammate of Flores at Boston College, so they have some relationship and he has reportedly built up a relationship with the Colts DC Matt Eberflus as well.  So it seems like Quinn (not sure how they know each other), Flores, and Eberflus have all been tied via the media.  

DA mentioned Bowles too - not sure where.  He also clearly would have ties to Doug Pederson and Eric Bienemy (amongst other Chiefs people).  No clue if he has ties to Caldwell or not.