2021 NFL Season Thread

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

Very good start 

Yep - excellent start.  And Poles had to have so much leverage given the Minny situation that even if George wanted to do the same thing he did in the past - Poles had the ability to say NOPE and thankfully it seems (at first glance) George listened :)

I actually think if Poles doesn't go with Flores that is a good thing; shows you he realizes you shouldn't just go with who you are familiar with - in some cases that might really be a detriment - because there might be too much biases from past LT relationship that it gets in the way of the right things to do to get the very best out of the front office and the coaching staff.  

Kind of like - I have best friends, but I wouldn't want them working for me or vice versa and if I did it would have to be a very very rare circumstance.  

Honestly I've been Dan Quinn-pilled. Wouldn't have guessed. He definitely needs horses for his defense, but his ATL defenses were a reverse bears, where nearly all of their cap was in offense. When it had keanu neal and deion jones, it was fine, without they were awful. But with Cowboys, obviously were great.

Not since dave wannstedt have we targeted a coach so universally in demand. Everyone wants Quinn. 

The takeaway for me - people want to work for that guy. I think his staff will be as good as rumored.

Otherwise, I like don't mind Eberflus, Leftwich, Daboll. I really don't know what to make of Caldwell. I'm not sure a coach got more screwed over than him in DET, but I kinda felt that about Fox. But Kubiak went on to take that team to a superbowl, the lions were awful after he left. The players loved him. Everyone loves him. But the lions still felt like such a sloppy team.

The most unlikely, greatest thing would be Ryan Day being disillusioned with the NLI stuff in college and the bears throwing $30 million at their coaching staff for a Quinn/Day combo.

7 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I don't know how much would be enough, but I'd at least look into it.

You definitely look into it, and considering his service to the Saints maybe they do him a solid. But I think he probably is looking for a break.

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

The Bears would still need to send draft capital to the Saints, as the bucs still did with Arians since he was under contract.

If it is an Arians like return - I have zero problem with it - but I presume Saints would want top picks. Arians was traded for like a 6th pick, but Bucs got a 7th rounder back.  So it was pretty minimal cost (in grand scheme).  I am fine with that.  But if you are talking 1st/2nd rounder - I just don't know that you can do it if you are the Bears (although that might just be too short-sighted given how darn good he is).  

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

If it is an Arians like return - I have zero problem with it - but I presume Saints would want top picks. Arians was traded for like a 6th pick, but Bucs got a 7th rounder back.  So it was pretty minimal cost (in grand scheme).  I am fine with that.  But if you are talking 1st/2nd rounder - I just don't know that you can do it if you are the Bears (although that might just be too short-sighted given how darn good he is).  

True, but Arians took an actual year off. If he would have retired and then signed with the bucs I'm pretty sure they'd have demanded more since that's just sidestepping a contract.

I kind of detached myself from the process for my own sanity but Poles was the name I liked the most. (not that I know shit. I'm just some guy. stop listening to me.)

I am not gonna shill for the guy just because the Bears hired him but I'm also not gonna get bent out of shape just because he has a superficial resemblance to Ryan Pace's resume (as I've seen some others doing in the past week)

55 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Supposedly Poles will be the only person in the interview with the HC. If that doesn't say its his decision I don't know what is (if that report is correct).  

I'm not certain if I want this to be his first and sole decision. 

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

I'm not certain if I want this to be his first and sole decision. 

This is what he's being hired to do. If he can't be trusted with this decision, he shouldn't have the job. 

Edited by Marqhead
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Well to be honest Saints don't have a ton of leverage right?  He retires and takes a year off, you get nothing.  He tells you where he wants to go and you work it out as best you can?