2021 NFL Season Thread

15 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I'm not certain if I want this to be his first and sole decision. 

That is why I said - if he wants to pick the brains from Polian, great, he has that right, but ball is in his court and he has to make these decisions. He should be smart enough to ask for help where appropriate and lean on the right people (like anyone in those shoes) but they gave him this role as a reason.

I think the important part here is - they are setting a tone by telling him this, it doesn't mean he shouldn't lean on others / get different perspectives, but buck ultimately stops with him.  A huge part of leadership is leaning on others (but providing clarity of vision, asking right questions, removing barriers/providing resources, etc). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If he can't be trusted to get it right without George and Ted chiming in, they hired the wrong guy.

This biggest decision of his career and he's going to make it on day 1? There is a blue ribbon committee there, use them. 

16 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Well to be honest Saints don't have a ton of leverage right?  He retires and takes a year off, you get nothing.  He tells you where he wants to go and you work it out as best you can?

I tend to agree with you on this. That said - I think he takes the Cowboys job in a year (or now) if he wants it. I don't see him coming in to do a rebuilding effort with the Bears.  I would love it if he wanted to - but I think its more us being overly hopeful.  

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

I tend to agree with you on this. That said - I think he takes the Cowboys job in a year (or now) if he wants it. I don't see him coming in to do a rebuilding effort with the Bears.  I would love it if he wanted to - but I think its more us being overly hopeful.  

Yea im not really commenting on the feasibility of the bears getting him as much as I am saying that if he says "I want to go to this team",  they either work it out with that team or say good bye and good luck 

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Do we have a word for something between full rebuilding and super bowl contender? This shouldn't be more than a two to maybe three year division championship caliber team.

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

Yea im not really commenting on the feasibility of the bears getting him as much as I am saying that if he says "I want to go to this team",  they either work it out with that team or say good bye and good luck 

Technically speaking - I think they can also stick it to him until his contract is up (I don't know why the Arians situation was treated different).  I'm not saying the Saints would actually do that though - would feel like given everything he had done for that org and the way the Saints have treated people in the past - that if Payton wants to go, they will let him go (and just get a modest return on the back end - so at most like a 3rd rounder or something).  

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

Do we have a word for something between full rebuilding and super bowl contender? This shouldn't be more than a two to maybe three year division championship caliber team.

I think its more of - a soft reset is what I call it. Cause you are deploying resources into your young QB and building up a war chest for years 2 or 3. But they are in a spot where they have to at least hit a slight reset (to me); They could try to keep rolling but i just don't know that it makes sense given the age of some of their better defensive players.  Focus '22 on getting younger and building resources on offense - '23 can be a window where you start adding via free agency + continue to infuse young talent across both sides of the ball (with hopefully a young QB who is ascending in a division with no other decent QB).  

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Not to say Poles is a bad choice, I have no idea, and a lot of people who should know, seem to be impressed, but If Ryan Pace selected Mahomes instead of Mitch, how many of these KC execs and assistants would get interviews for big jobs?

I think a lot honestly. If they didn't draft mahomes, they would basically be the 2000s Eagles. Maybe didn't win the big one, but KC promoting out its FO talent prior to 2017 (sadly to bears once).

Kelce, Hill, Berry are all some of the best players in their position of the decade. They brought in Tyronn Matheau to great effect. They have had a long run of great RBs before Edwards-Helair.  They also have drafted some big pass rushers in Houston, (Houston, Ford), and last super bowl withstanding, they've had some really strong Oline forever, going back to Priest Holmes days to Jamaal Charles.

Under Reid, their floor is just consistently good.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Not to say Poles is a bad choice, I have no idea, and a lot of people who should know, seem to be impressed, but If Ryan Pace selected Mahomes instead of Mitch, how many of these KC execs and assistants would get interviews for big jobs?

Kinda hard to say though isn't it? Because in that counterfactual you would have John Fox and then Matt Nagy (presumably, assuming Fox is still fired after 2017) sabotaging developing Mahomes and then Trubisky (presumably) developing under Reid, not saying Trubisky would've become a great QB but with Reid the results would've almost certainly been different.

26 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think its more of - a soft reset is what I call it. Cause you are deploying resources into your young QB and building up a war chest for years 2 or 3. But they are in a spot where they have to at least hit a slight reset (to me); They could try to keep rolling but i just don't know that it makes sense given the age of some of their better defensive players.  Focus '22 on getting younger and building resources on offense - '23 can be a window where you start adding via free agency + continue to infuse young talent across both sides of the ball (with hopefully a young QB who is ascending in a division with no other decent QB).  

I don't see how this roster can be a Super Bowl contender in 3-5 years if they aren't really bad in 2022.

2 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I don't see how this roster can be a Super Bowl contender in 3-5 years if they aren't really bad in 2022.

3-5 years is a long time in terms of NFL roster management

If Justin Fields pans out as a franchise QB the window to competitiveness is even shorter

7 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

You can't keep a roster together for six years in the NFL. Most teams build in three or four. I can think they are better than their record. At all least two but more likely three wins better.

7 minutes ago, lostfan said:

3-5 years is a long time in terms of NFL roster management

If Justin Fields pans out as a franchise QB the window to competitiveness is even shorter

This - what lost said.  I do think they need to make some decisions now to better set-up that window from years 2-6, but if they aren't humming and in a good spot by year 3 we got problems.  The hope would be at that point - if you do have problems, that you have good talent and are mainly looking at upgrading the QB position (not saying that is a good thing - but if your QB stinks and you have crap talent around it in 3 years than it is looking really long in the tooth).  Its why I think Poles is in a great spot - he gets to design a team around a young QB (one he is inheriting) and if the young QB isn't right, he'll be in a spot to make his own choice for one down the road (with ideally the right pieces and systems/set-up around said QB to maximize success).

That said - for now - Bears have to be all-in on developing Fields and putting real pieces around him. I guarantee that is one thing Poles would have learned from his time with Chiefs (it isn't like they gave Mahomes lousy resources).  

• Thanks 1

If he flames out and fails I will be the first to say, I thought he was a very good pick. There are a couple areas that are concerns, but overall I think they did as well as can be expected. He could be the guy for the next thirty years. 

But I doubt it. Lol

so what DaBearsBlog just mentioned on a podcast was that Omar Khan wasn't interviewed for GM role, but to replace Phillips next year, so if Colbert retires and Khan isn't slated with a role he likes, he could move to Chicago. That's pretty damn interesting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

so what DaBearsBlog just mentioned on a podcast was that Omar Khan wasn't interviewed for GM role, but to replace Phillips next year, so if Colbert retires and Khan isn't slated with a role he likes, he could move to Chicago. That's pretty damn interesting.

That is extremely interesting; it is a bit odd though - cause you would think if that is what they were thinking, they would want to make sure Khan got along with Poles (otherwise it is kind of an odd reverse power structure coming in place).  I long thought Khan was the perfect fit for that type of role though.  

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

That is extremely interesting; it is a bit odd though - cause you would think if that is what they were thinking, they would want to make sure Khan got along with Poles (otherwise it is kind of an odd reverse power structure coming in place).  I long thought Khan was the perfect fit for that type of role though.  

Definitely, we'll see.

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

It's someone incredibly well connected because he really hasn't missed on anything lately. 

It's really too bad he had to be such an epic douche to Olin for something that he really had no business talking about 

16 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

It's really too bad he had to be such an epic douche to Olin for something that he really had no business talking about 

Which probably gives more credit that his source is either Ted or George himself. Obviously, he went to bat for "his guys" against Olin, something George and Ted couldn't do publicly.