2021 NFL Season Thread

I'm very surprised. I was good with Quinn, but was trying to face the issues he had as HC that suck like horrible game management. But I knew he'd bring a great staff in.

But Eberflus? Loved what the Indy writers said about him, and I think what we WILL get is a disciplined team with him. That's big but I'd still wish we'd have looked into Demeco ryans, love how he's made a team that can't play Man work out so well, that's great coaching.

Eberflus is 51, he's been on 3 NFL staffs. So he should have a good network. 

But this will all come down to staff. This coaching cycle sucked. We obviously hope this is a mcdermott, but we keep missing out on the can't miss coaches. I really wish we had guys offensively from the Shanahan tree, but they are so picked over now. We are looking at copies of copies.

May as well see if we can find a guy to start something new. Super, super high variance. 

I wonder if there are any college coordinators that would work here.

The good about eberflus is while he has a marinelli background, he made a lot of changes consistently to his Defense. 

Again - would love to see if he can nab Patrick Graham for defense.

For offense, boy. 

Offensively, funny stuff, he was on Eric Mangini's cleveland browns that had Daboll as OC.

In Dallas, I don't see any coaches I'd like. Seriously, please no Derek Dooley as OC. Kill me. (he was with eberflus in Dallas and became OC at Mizzou)

Indy? Well they just lost Sirianni.

So I don't know who he's bringing. Please be good.

• Like 1

Last thoughts - for once I wanted more certainty and give up a bag to get a top coach.

BUT, we've talked a lot about how the bears go from one extreme to the other. Sleepy angelo to fiery, "new school" Emery. Gave Emery keys to castle and he wiles out with Trestman, hire new GM and force an experience defensive coach at multiple stops. Then go to offensive guru. 

They didn't let Poles age or "one org" background stop them on Poles, and Poles didn't care about what the bears have done, apparenlty, in Eberflus.

But yeah, we have no idea. But he was a really good coach at Mizzou. Pinkel made his hay drafting 3 stars and putting muscle and coaching in them. He made Sean Weatherspoon, and we had a good big 12 defense, that 2007 defense was actually good. It just wasn't good enough to beat teams with 5 star offensive lineman up and down like Oklahoma/Alabama etc.

Not a lot of Mizzou offensive guys to dig into. But Dave Yost was OC and went on to success at Utah State, but was fired from Texas Tech recently and signed on at FIU. 

I wouldn't recommend him for fields lol.

Coming from Indy where they had a really good OL, I hope all signs continue to point towards the Bears really emphasize the OL this year. They have to....right?? Getting that right is the biggest thing to me. Fields isn't gonna tap into his potential without it. 

1 minute ago, scs787 said:

Coming from Indy where they had a really good OL, I hope all signs continue to point towards the Bears really emphasize the OL this year. They have to....right?? Getting that right is the biggest thing to me. Fields isn't gonna tap into his potential without it. 

I mean he is a DC so I don't really feel like that OL stuff is going to transfer so well 

• Like 1

Every year the NFL teams interview the same 5 or 6 guys for their coaching job. All are can't miss, going to be star head coaches....and the majority wind up looking for another job within 3 to 4 years. But occassionally, a team hires one who is as advertised. Hopefully the Bears have done that. 

I can't complain - want to see what he does from a staffing perspective; He is a seasoned coach and seems to be a good teacher and I suspect will be very comfortable in his own skin. His defenses have  been good and he seems to preach discipline, etc.  I do think for Justin Fields sake - it will be important to find him a nucleus of coaches that can excite him in his development.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I can't complain - want to see what he does from a staffing perspective; He is a seasoned coach and seems to be a good teacher and I suspect will be very comfortable in his own skin. His defenses have  been good and he seems to preach discipline, etc.  I do think for Justin Fields sake - it will be important to find him a nucleus of coaches that can excite him in his development.  

He does have a good rep as a teacher, may be part of a player development side Poles wanted vs just focusing on leadership or Xs and Os.