2021 NFL Season Thread

30 minutes ago, Texsox said:

So the 36 year old GM with no previous GM experience hired the 51 year old finalist with no previous HC experience. A couple names that are being bounced around for OC have no previous OC experience.

When did the Bears become a starter franchise? I like seeing an opportunity to bring new, fresh ideas and perhaps reinvent how organizations function. But, it also seems like a risk. 

Too many years of bad ownership and management decisions caused the issues so a good house cleaning is needed.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

So the 36 year old GM with no previous GM experience hired the 51 year old finalist with no previous HC experience. A couple names that are being bounced around for OC have no previous OC experience.

When did the Bears become a starter franchise? I like seeing an opportunity to bring new, fresh ideas and perhaps reinvent how organizations function. But, it also seems like a risk. 

And that GM was picked unanimously by a committee led by a 79 year old multiple time GM/team president. 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

There is a decent reason to be a little concerned, but all the great ones had no experience at one time as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

It’s a risk I am willing to see them take. Fans probably wanted Harbaugh or Payton after seeing Nagy go but they weren’t all that realistic. I would have preferred one candidate with experience as a GM or HC, but I like the upside that Poles was with multiple GMs in KC and Eberflus (or Eberloose, like some dumbass who called the Score to b****) is a teacher. He apparently gets a lot out of guys who are undrafted, like Fangio did.

I would have liked hiring a football minded team president to oversee Poles, but I bet he wouldn’t have come to Chicago with them hiring someone to be his boss, especially since he can report to just McCaskey. If they bring in a veteran OC, I will feel better, but if it is a young passing game coordinator, I will be concerned because of the lack of their experience. I also want to reserve judgment until I see the rest of the coaching staff and front office staff. Right now I’d grade the moves a C+, with potential to move up or down depending on who is hired. That grade is going to fluctuate with results and in the end, none of us know if the experience gap will matter until this new regime ends with a Super Bowl or another house cleaning.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

There is a decent reason to be a little concerned, but all the great ones had no experience at one time as well. 

I'm interested in knowing how many were great at their first stop versus that first stop is a stepping stone.

Who is this?

As a coach:

24 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Who is this?

As a coach:

Zac Taylor.

Apparently this guy is on the Bears radar.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Getsy

It is interesting, but again a wild card. Was hoping for a hail mary of getting O'Connel or McDaniel.

I'm not even sure what his key beliefs are based on resume, assuming he is on the McVay tree now. We need some blocking receivers.

When he was OC at MSU (not a playcaller), they had a really rough year passing but had no QB, but ran the hell out of the ball. Maybe he will bring cool run concepts and Pep will handle the pass concepts.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

It is interesting, but again a wild card. Was hoping for a hail mary of getting O'Connel or McDaniel.

I'm not even sure what his key beliefs are based on resume, assuming he is on the McVay tree now. We need some blocking receivers.

When he was OC at MSU (not a playcaller), they had a really rough year passing but had no QB, but ran the hell out of the ball. Maybe he will bring cool run concepts and Pep will handle the pass concepts.

The one thing I will say is - it seems odd to have green / first time OC's coming in when you have a defensive based HC. I would have expected an OC who had been there.  Don't get me wrong - seems like bright individuals - but they are just so green and if you get too many smart minds and a green chief (as OC) - will you end up with the cohesion needed.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

The one thing I will say is - it seems odd to have green / first time OC's coming in when you have a defensive based HC. I would have expected an OC who had been there.  Don't get me wrong - seems like bright individuals - but they are just so green and if you get too many smart minds and a green chief (as OC) - will you end up with the cohesion needed.  

Who knows. Pep is a long enough coach he can help a lot. He's been a playcaller before. And if you get Bisaccio and Marinelli you'd have 2 former head coaches on staff