2021 NFL Season Thread

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Who knows. Pep is a long enough coach he can help a lot. He's been a playcaller before. And if you get Bisaccio and Marinelli you'd have 2 former head coaches on staff

Yeah - I'm not worried about defense - but in particular - you get a bunch of smart people and one who hasn't led a full offense - and do you end up with chaos, egos and other stuff.  I don't know - just something to watch for.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Yeah - I'm not worried about defense - but in particular - you get a bunch of smart people and one who hasn't led a full offense - and do you end up with chaos, egos and other stuff.  I don't know - just something to watch for.  

I don't know but I think that's a good part of Pep at this point, I don't think he's looking to play power plays. He's probably content to just be a young QB partner.

Just now, bmags said:

I don't know but I think that's a good part of Pep at this point, I don't think he's looking to play power plays. He's probably content to just be a young QB partner.

Pep being involved in this is the one thing that gets me excited - and to your point - if he really just loves working with young QB's - that would be great.  I have assumed he may want to move into an OC role and be able to show case that (but maybe to your point that isn't actually what he is interested in).  

I like Gary Kubiaks son. Presume he is out in Minny with the change but I thought he did a nice job as OC last year. Cousins had a pretty darn good year. If he is half as good as his dad he will be a good one and I love zone blocking / shanny running style. 

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Ugh the good news is there's a rumor the Bears are trying to get Bill Callahan as OL coach

The bad news is the rumor comes from Erik Lambert.

Real rollercoaster.

I would like that move very much. They did hire a db coach and lb coach from Colts (not sure on what their roles will be on Bears staff). 

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I can’t comprehend going after a guy who worked underneath an OC who didn’t even call plays and making this dude the head offensive coach.  I’d love Pep in some of QB coach / passing game coordinator role, but this Getsy is very unexciting at face value.

He just got a HC interview for Denver & Rodgers loves him. I'm not optimistic any Bears move will work out after all of the shit they've put us through for the last decade but Getsy seems like a great hire on paper

26 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

He just got a HC interview for Denver & Rodgers loves him. I'm not optimistic any Bears move will work out after all of the shit they've put us through for the last decade but Getsy seems like a great hire on paper

Yeah I mean Zac Taylor became a HC with playcaling duties with the exact same resume.

But Scarangelo went to DEN with Fangio and bombed.

We just don’t know. But Mcvays acolytes have had more success elsewhere than Shannys.

Shanahan may be the new belicheck honestly. He just lacks a brady

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

I honestly don’t see how anyone could argue this a great hire on paper.  The Broncos interviewed him because they desperately want to acquire Aaron Rodgers (and instead hired Hackett).  Perhaps there is more to him than his resume suggests (which obviously I’d have no idea of), but nothing on paper suggests this is who a first time head coach who comes from a defensive background should hire.

13 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I honestly don’t see how anyone could argue this a great hire on paper.  The Broncos interviewed him because they desperately want to acquire Aaron Rodgers (and instead hired Hackett).  Perhaps there is more to him than his resume suggests (which obviously I’d have no idea of), but nothing on paper suggests this is who a first time head coach who comes from a defensive background should hire.

I don’t know that you need to be convinced of greatness but the OCs under offensive head coaches are head coaching candidates so it’s more likely to pluck their QB coaches for an OC job. 

There is risk but also high upside here, since it is the Shanahan/McVay tree, and lafleurs run schemes were very good. You show me they are connected to shanahan / McVay right now that’s enough to walk through the door.

I can't seem to get excited, good or bad, about any of the OC candidates. Those with more knowledge, what will it take to create an offensive scheme around Fields? Is it really that difficult? It seems like you could look at other QBs like him, see what those teams ran, and pick and choose from there. In other words, maybe the OC job isn't going to be as critical as I was thinking a couple days ago.  

40 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I can't seem to get excited, good or bad, about any of the OC candidates. Those with more knowledge, what will it take to create an offensive scheme around Fields? Is it really that difficult? It seems like you could look at other QBs like him, see what those teams ran, and pick and choose from there. In other words, maybe the OC job isn't going to be as critical as I was thinking a couple days ago.  

Because a good offense always seems to be so difficult for the Bears to manage, it seems like they need a good OC. They need a good play caller but they need good pieces around Fields to complement him.

In other news, Brady is retiring. Maybe Rodgers will head to Denver or Tampa Bay?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Because a good offense always seems to be so difficult for the Bears to manage, it seems like they need a good OC. They need a good play caller but they need good pieces around Fields to complement him.

In other news, Brady is retiring. Maybe Rodgers will head to Denver or Tampa Bay?

While nothing is impossible, Tampa Bay doesn’t have a ton of cap space right now and apparently Brady retiring doesn’t clear much because the money they put off into future years comes due as dead cap space this year now. So it’s at least tough for them.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bmags said:

Man the Vikings are going to get Harbaugh and it will 100% be due to the mccaskeys not understanding how the Gruden deal was par for the course in college now (ie they were cheap). Makes me sick.

Yeah, and then Harbaugh will be out in about four years when the Vikings get sick of him.