2021 NFL Season Thread

I will say one thing - preseason doesn't mean anything, but there was nothing that happened in preseason which would lead me to believe that this is not a historically great QB crop coming into the league this year.  Across every 1st round pick - you could see tons of flashes. I'd probably argue Wilson/Jones had the best preseason games, but we all know what Fields has shown and athletically - he has something else about him. I'd almost argue Lawrence (up until the 3rd game) was the most pedestrian.  Long story short - should be a pretty interesting season - seeing the new kids develop, how Allen steps up after his monster year, can Brady maintain, Rodgers last hurrah, Mahomes looking for revenge....what happens with Watson, etc.  

BUF   13   4   MIA   10   7   NE   10   7   NYJ   3   14
BAL   11   6   CLE   11   6   PIT   9   8   CIN   3   14
TEN   11   6   IND   9   8   JAX   7   10   HOU   2   15
KC   13   4   LAC   12   5   DEN   8   9   LV   7   10

NYG   9   8   DAL   8   9   WAS   8   9   PHI   7   10
GB   11   6   CHI   8   9   MIN   7   10   DET   4   13
TB   13   4   NO   6   11   ATL   6   11   CAR   4   13
LAR   13   4   SEA   12   5   SF   11   6   ARI   6   11

(2) KC over (7) MIA, (6) CLE over (3) BAL, (5) LAC over (4) TEN
(2) LAR over (7) CHI, (6) SF over (3) GB, (5) SEA over (4) NYG

(1) BUF over (6) CLE, (5) LAC over (2) KC
(1) TB over (6) SF, (2) LAR over (5) SEA

(1) BUF over (5) LAC
(2) LAR over (1) TB

(AFC) BUF over (NFC) LAR

Bears dropped Thomas Graham (6th round pick), Pierce (RB), Nall (RB), Johnson (K - rookie who looked pretty good), Ridley, and Johnson.  I imagine we see a new wideout added given the moves Bears have made at wideout at this point (seems they are 1 light) and still expect DB and Oline as potential additions over next few days.  

Or I guess it is Adams and Newsome as the 5 and 6. Adams clearly earned his spot on the team, while Newsome missed most of camp - so I thought he might be a practice squad stash kind of player.  I also didn't really notice much out of him in preseason, unless he made some plays in the 2nd half of the 3rd practice game (which I will admit - I did not watch that half).  

1 hour ago, TheTruth05 said:

Crazy what an actual QB competition can produce. I'm sure Nagy knows better than BB though.

Oddly the best QB BB ever had did not win the starting competition and only played due to injury. That being said, its not a really good comparison because NE has a much better track record of protecting QBs, so its less likely Mac is going to get killed in a non competitive year. Also Mac played in a more "pro" scheme at Alabama and will likely do a lot of handing off, play action, quick passes. Fields who arguably may be better long term, is more raw in a pro scheme and could definitely use the reps under center.

Just really no reason to risk Fields being ruined in the first few games. 

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

Or I guess it is Adams and Newsome as the 5 and 6. Adams clearly earned his spot on the team, while Newsome missed most of camp - so I thought he might be a practice squad stash kind of player.  I also didn't really notice much out of him in preseason, unless he made some plays in the 2nd half of the 3rd practice game (which I will admit - I did not watch that half).  

Newsome cut

4 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Oddly the best QB BB ever had did not win the starting competition and only played due to injury. That being said, its not a really good comparison because NE has a much better track record of protecting QBs, so its less likely Mac is going to get killed in a non competitive year. Also Mac played in a more "pro" scheme at Alabama and will likely do a lot of handing off, play action, quick passes. Fields who arguably may be better long term, is more raw in a pro scheme and could definitely use the reps under center.

I fully get that Brady didn't play until Bledsoe got injured but I trust BB way more with a young QB after seeing the GOAT for the past 2 decades than I do Nagy who hasn't had anything but a bottom tier offense in his entire Bears tenure (even after he handpicked Nick Foles and hyped him up last year). I'm not sitting here saying Mac will be a stud but him receiving actual reps with the first offense all summer while Fields threw to guys who are now all gone makes no sense.

I find this whole "wrecking Fields" thing funny though, should he just not play all year? The Oline is going to be ass all year, Fields can help them instantly. Let's just say he starts week 4. after the lions and raiders they have a brutal stretch of Bucs,9ers,Steelers,Ravens. Should they put Dalton in again to not get him killed? The crazy thing is if on opening night Dalton gets injured on the first play Fields is coming in to play. so again, what's the point? 

14 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

This - plus just watch Jones out there. He was very quick in his read and react. It will be interesting to see him go against 1st stringers and how much that changes, but his strengths from college certainly showed through in the NFL. Quite frankly - he's the most NFL ready QB of the group and it was very evident watching preseason.  That said - starters and real game schemes could exploit some of his weaknesses, but he did not look like a rookie in the pocket, where as I would say Lawrence, Fields, and Lance all did for sure.  I didnt' see much of Wilson but know he got rave reviews.  

1 minute ago, TheTruth05 said:

I fully get that Brady didn't play until Bledsoe got injured but I trust BB way more with a young QB after seeing the GOAT for the past 2 decades than I do Nagy who hasn't had anything but a bottom tier offense in his entire Bears tenure (even after he handpicked Nick Foles and hyped him up last year). I'm not sitting here saying Mac will be a stud but him receiving actual reps with the first offense all summer while Fields threw to guys who are now all gone makes no sense.

I find this whole "wrecking Fields" thing funny though, should he just not play all year? The Oline is going to be ass all year, Fields can help them instantly. Let's just say he starts week 4. after the lions and raiders they have a brutal stretch of Bucs,9ers,Steelers,Ravens. Should they put Dalton in again to not get him killed? The crazy thing is if on opening night Dalton gets injured on the first play Fields is coming in to play. so again, what's the point? 

I get worried when Nagy says that because this is year 4 his offense is finally going to get quick - cause it's s complex. I mean - I get it, it's Coach speak, but if he seriously thinks that he is delusional. And if that is his offense by design, it will never work, no one is going to get 4 years until there offense "works" let alone the amount of roster turnover that exists.  I still believe his biggest weakness is he out thinks himself and tries to make things more complex than they should be and it just ruins the playbook etc.  

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I get worried when Nagy says that because this is year 4 his offense is finally going to get quick - cause it's s complex. I mean - I get it, it's Coach speak, but if he seriously thinks that he is delusional. And if that is his offense by design, it will never work, no one is going to get 4 years until there offense "works" let alone the amount of roster turnover that exists.  I still believe his biggest weakness is he out thinks himself and tries to make things more complex than they should be and it just ruins the playbook etc.  

The guy just screams snake oil salesman. I mean only the Bears could give a guy so much time to get a functioning offense on the field. I get Trubisky wasn't good but after the Foles debacle last year I'm all out on him. The only reason I'd be fine with Fields not playing is if Nagy gets canned and they bring in someone like Daboll but I just don't see that happening unfortunately

Edited by TheTruth05

4 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

I think BB is a great coach he is extremely intelligent and can do a lot of things. But he basically has 1 QB success story. Im not sure what trusting Nagy v BB has anything to do with the fact that Fields and Mac are completely different players and that it makes no sense comparing them.

If it was up to me, Id say Fields shouldnt play the first half of the season. Mahomes sat a full year. The Bears arent going to win the Super Bowl this year, the most important thing is Fields development. The best way for him to develop is to practice, watch game film, listen to calls and develop. He has plenty of time to get in game reps over the course of his career. If the Bears were going to run something similar to OSU this year, then it would be different, but they arent. He is learning an entirely new system and the Bears arent going to be competitive.

Jones is going to be asked to do very minimal stuff. The Patriots are trying to win now, its not remotely comparable. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I think BB is a great coach he is extremely intelligent and can do a lot of things. But he basically has 1 QB success story. Im not sure what trusting Nagy v BB has anything to do with the fact that Fields and Mac are completely different players and that it makes no sense comparing them.

If it was up to me, Id say Fields shouldnt play the first half of the season. Mahomes sat a full year. The Bears arent going to win the Super Bowl this year, the most important thing is Fields development. The best way for him to develop is to practice, watch game film, listen to calls and develop. He has plenty of time to get in game reps over the course of his career. If the Bears were going to run something similar to OSU this year, then it would be different, but they arent. He is learning an entirely new system and the Bears arent going to be competitive.

Jones is going to be asked to do very minimal stuff. The Patriots are trying to win now, its not remotely comparable. 

"1 QB success story" is 1 way to put it and the process here should speak for itself. Mac was given a real chance to win the starting spot all summer while Fields has barely thrown the ball to actual weapons. They never had any intention of letting him win the job.

The Patriots are not built to win now, they might end up 3rd in that division. At least they will know what they have in Mac by the time they are competitive again.

20 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

This was honestly the dumbest thing he has said this off-season.  There is nobody but Allen Robinson and Cody Whitehair who have been here for that long starting. Why is this completely new set of players just going to pick it up and go play well because it is Nagys fourth year?

50 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

"1 QB success story" is 1 way to put it and the process here should speak for itself. Mac was given a real chance to win the starting spot all summer while Fields has barely thrown the ball to actual weapons. They never had any intention of letting him win the job.

The Patriots are not built to win now, they might end up 3rd in that division. At least they will know what they have in Mac by the time they are competitive again.

Belichick is 69 years old, he isnt thinking about 3-4 years in the future, I am highly confident that he believes that he can compete this year. You are trying to compare two completely different things. There are plenty of reasons why you can say Nagy isnt a good coach, but sitting Fields is arguably one of his better decisions. The other thing you are completely leaving out is that Newton has done nothing in NE and likely completely wore out his welcome with the whole Covid debacle. If NE had Dalton they may actually have sat Mac for a bit. 

Its a lot more complex than saying "See someone else started a rookie so that is the best decision." 

33 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Belichick is 69 years old, he isnt thinking about 3-4 years in the future, I am highly confident that he believes that he can compete this year. You are trying to compare two completely different things. There are plenty of reasons why you can say Nagy isnt a good coach, but sitting Fields is arguably one of his better decisions. The other thing you are completely leaving out is that Newton has done nothing in NE and likely completely wore out his welcome with the whole Covid debacle. If NE had Dalton they may actually have sat Mac for a bit. 

Its a lot more complex than saying "See someone else started a rookie so that is the best decision." 

You are talking about the Pats like they are facts when they simply aren't. All other factors aside we are talking about multiple first round QBs are getting at the very minimum a strong chance to start or meaningful reps with meaningful players. Fields has yet to have any of that. He has literally been put on the back burner for no reason other than some imaginary parameters Nagy (and maybe the Org) have in mind. You still never addressed what you think about how if Fields isn't ready why would he be #2? If Dalton gets hurt will he get ruined having to step in and play? It's fine if you want to sit Fields, that's your opinion but you're giving way too much credit to a guy who never gives a straight answer.

Edited by TheTruth05

The bears hoarding linebackers and thin as shit at CB is…not the modern team building that’s for sure.

obviously the lbs are likely the bulk of our special teams and guys like burns and trufant weren’t bringing that like a Bryce Callahan did.