2021 NFL Season Thread

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He took a team QB'd by Rex Grossman to the Super Bowl. If he had the right OC and offensive coaches, I think he would be fine.

But why didn't they just not fire david culley?

Lovie's career in Chicago is a highlight, but he went to Tampa and U of I and had little success recreated at either.

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Watch them hire Lovie to be McCowns babysitter until they think he is ready to be HC 

This is what I was wondering. McCown's insistance that he shouldn't have to hold lesser coaching positions is a wild, blinking red light. 

4 hours ago, bmags said:

He also recruited well for U of I. And what would be the excuse for Northwestern owning them year after year?

He should have never have gone to college.  Everyone pines for Harbaugh but he isn't lighting up the college scene and he has greater history and resources at Michigan than U of I.

I was not upset to see Lovie leave but think he was kind of shafted in the end by the Bears and moving forward the situation has not improved.

6 hours ago, bmags said:

Two seasons in Tampa. 2-14 and 6-10.

Yeah, I thought it was 1. Mike Glennon was his QB. I don't think there are many guys who are currently available that would have done better than him in TB. With the Illini, sure, but college coaching is all about recruiting. Lovie wasn't up for that.

These college coaches have to wine and dine 16,17 and 18 year olds. Lovie was too set as a pro coach to give it the exta effort there. He got out recruited. That's why NU kick his ass.

Edited by Dick Allen

So what if instead of giving 3rd round picks to the team losing a minority coach to hc the team that hires a minority coach gets extra picks. Don’t know what to think about that but presume that would drive the desired outcome and increase numbers.

Maybe it is a temporary five year program - and teams can’t double dip (meaning you can’t just fire a coach every year and take advantage of system to get extra picks each year - not saying that would happen). 

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

So the long Bienemy interview went for nothing. Only one out of the nine HC positions went to a minority candidate.

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

So what if instead of giving 3rd round picks to the team losing a minority coach to hc the team that hires a minority coach gets extra picks. Don’t know what to think about that but presume that would drive the desired outcome and increase numbers.

Maybe it is a temporary five year program - and teams can’t double dip (meaning you can’t just fire a coach every year and take advantage of system to get extra picks each year - not saying that would happen). 

I see no issue with your proposal. It would be more of an incentive for teams to hire minority candidates.

3 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I also think there needs to be a push to increase the number of staff hirings. 

40 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Was clearing everything off his Instagram page not just football stuff.

There are too many annoying news cycles but man if we could eliminate the “👀 *player* removed all references to team on instagram” I’d be slightly happier