2021 NFL Season Thread

2 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Nah its posturing. Buying the land is the easy part, building and paying for the stadium is where it will be difficult for the Bears.

It'll be interesting to see where the fans land as this keeps going. Everyone I've talked to so far seems to be very meh about them staying or going. Doesn't sound like having to go to Arlington Park 8 times a year is that much different than going downtown. I myself don't have a strong opinion either way. I've loved going to games downtown and have even enjoyed the cold ones over the years, but as I get older I'm not going to be too disappointed with sitting in a brand new indoor stadium that can bring a better gameday experience and other events. Now as for who's going to pay for it....

Just now, ptatc said:

State and Lake County money may come into play. Pritzker would love to say he saved the Bears and hold it over Lightfoot.

Im pretty sure Arlington Heights isnt in Lake County as its south of Lake Cook Road. Youd be asking Cook County to pay for another stadium or state tax payers when the state has no money.

People are thinking they'll get a Sofi stadium, that was privately financed. The Bears have no plan as usual.

Just now, Marqhead said:

It'll be interesting to see where the fans land as this keeps going. Everyone I've talked to so far seems to be very meh about them staying or going. Doesn't sound like having to go to Arlington Park 8 times a year is that much different than going downtown. I myself don't have a strong opinion either way. I've loved going to games downtown and have even enjoyed the cold ones over the years, but as I get older I'm not going to be too disappointed with sitting in a brand new indoor stadium that can bring a better gameday experience and other events. Now as for who's going to pay for it....

10 times. Don't forget the preseason games that we pay regular prices for.

Just now, Soxbadger said:

Im pretty sure Arlington Heights isnt in Lake County as its south of Lake Cook Road. Youd be asking Cook County to pay for another stadium or state tax payers when the state has no money.

People are thinking they'll get a Sofi stadium, that was privately financed. The Bears have no plan as usual.

I looked it up and it says Arlington Heights is in both Lake and Cook. Couldn't find exactly which part the stadium would be in but the municipality is on both.

Just now, ptatc said:

I looked it up and it says Arlington Heights is in both Lake and Cook. Couldn't find exactly which part the stadium would be in but the municipality is on both.

It says that on google but Arlington Heights is entirely below the Lake County cutoff line on Lake-Cook Road.

2 minutes ago, Marqhead said:

Which is why the best play is to buy the land and then sell to an extremely wealthy buyer who could finance the stadium. Why would a new ownership group want to buy whatever garbage the current owners build. 

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

A very small sliver is north of Lake Cook Road west of Buffalo Grove. The main part is Cook County and no way would Lake County pay for something they'd get 0 revenue from.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I know it’s definitely not built for this right now, but how much would it be worth to the city if they were able to sell and develop the land that the soldier field spaceship and the parking lots sit on? Isn’t that worth billions?

It's worthless due to friends of park litigation against Lucas. They couldn't even build a free billion dollar museum on the parking lot.

Edited by Soxbadger

A very small sliver is north of Lake Cook Road west of Buffalo Grove. The main part is Cook County and no way would Lake County pay for something they'd get 0 revenue from.

There is no doubt about that. There would need to be revenue involved. It's all about the money and there will be a lot of it if this happens.

It's worthless due to friends of park litigation against Lucas. They couldn't even build a feee billion dollar museum on the parking lot.

True. Lightfoot implied they park district would make it indoor to hold events all year long. 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I know it’s definitely not built for this right now, but how much would it be worth to the city if they were able to sell and develop the land that the soldier field spaceship and the parking lots sit on? Isn’t that worth billions?

City wouldn't sell lakefront land to a private company.  

11 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Possible. I hope so as it will make getting to the games a hassle for me. They haven't even bought the land, its just a purchasing agreement. 

It's at least 5 or 6 years away from happening, and that is probably generous. It's probably to up their sale price. I think when Virginia goes, the team gets sold, and this purchase agreement raises the value of the team, and gives the new owner an option. I personally can't see the McCaskeys spending that much on a privately financed stadium, or they would have done it already cheaper.

17 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Taxpayers should never agree to help finance a stadium.  It does nothing but serve as yet another subsidy for the ultra rich.  Let them pay for their own fucking stadium as taxpayers basically never see any benefit from these.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Just now, Dick Allen said:

It's at least 5 or 6 years away from happening, and that is probably generous. It's probably to up their sale price. I think when Virginia goes, the team gets sold, and this purchase agreement raises the value of the team, and gives the new owner an option. I personally can't see the McCaskeys spending that much on a privately financed stadium, or they would have done it already cheaper.

Yep. The land is worth more than the stadium to a new owner. 

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That would work. By then I'll be just about retired, gone and sell my tickets anyway.

19 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

It's worthless due to friends of park litigation against Lucas. They couldn't even build a free billion dollar museum on the parking lot.

Is that litigation ever expected to end? A decaying soldier field with a spaceship in it hosting an occasional concert does seem like a nice monument to some politicians.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Is that litigation ever expected to end? A decaying soldier field with a spaceship in it hosting an occasional concert does seem like a nice monument to some politicians.

Lucas gave up and decided to build the museum in California because he wanted the museum to be finished before he died.

It just creates uncertainty about the entire area. I personally think the lawsuit was insane, but for whatever reason the judge decided to entertain the crazies. 

This doesn't close for over a year, plus even if the stadium is privately funded, they still will be seeking infrastructure improvements,  and that political battle could take several years, plus these new NFL stadiums take 3 or 4 years to build. It wouldn't surprise me if the Bears played out their lease. In fact, if the McCaskeys don't sell after Virginia is gone, I would bet on it.