2021 NFL Season Thread

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That was a horseshit call. 

Yeah - that was horrendous. I expect at least one crazy bad call against the Packers each week. It was also cowardly to punt in that situation. 

Nagy is a loser and has a loser mentality. He has so many spots he doesn’t go for it on 4th that are cowardly. Team was dying - only chance was to convert and hope to get some momentum. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

Yeah - that was horrendous. I expect at least one crazy bad call against the Packers each week. It was also cowardly to punt in that situation. 

Nagy is a loser and has a loser mentality. He has so many spots he doesn’t go for it on 4th that are cowardly. Team was dying - only chance was to convert and hope to get some momentum. 

Nagy is one of the most chickenshit coaches I've seen. 

6 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Oh and Fields has to learn to make plays on schedule. Not shocked cause he is a rookie but he still stares down guys a ton and took a few too many unnecessary hits. 

His ability to run is awesome though. 

On that pick-6 he stared down Mooney (or whoever it was) harder than a freshly-released convict at a strip club.

Is there a more universally-disliked combo than Collinsworth on literally any game Rodgers plays? Collinsworth seriously gets carried away in ways that no other commentator does, and he seems to forget that he's talking about a quarterback, and not a Nobel laureate, Medal of Honor recipient, or Humanitarian of the Year or something.

1 hour ago, lostfan said:

Is there a more universally-disliked combo than Collinsworth on literally any game Rodgers plays? Collinsworth seriously gets carried away in ways that no other commentator does, and he seems to forget that he's talking about a quarterback, and not a Nobel laureate, Medal of Honor recipient, or Humanitarian of the Year or something.

I like how the Facebook version of this included the one other candidate.

9 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Fields put up yards but he still showed a ton of rust. I hope to see a couple good games down the stretch now that the schedule gets easier. 

One week closer to new regime. 

I don't think he's accurate enough to be a super bowl caliber QB.  He's badly missing throws and that's not something that can be "coached up." He may have a couple years where he puts up numbers while his legs are still under him but when it comes down to him having to make throws with games on the line I think his inaccuracy will hold him back. 

11 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don't think he's accurate enough to be a super bowl caliber QB.  He's badly missing throws and that's not something that can be "coached up." He may have a couple years where he puts up numbers while his legs are still under him but when it comes down to him having to make throws with games on the line I think his inaccuracy will hold him back. 

Those look more like timing issues than accuracy issues. He can make the throws, but he's not in sync with his WRs, good thing Andy Dalton got all the reps with the ones in camp this summer I guess. (And it doesn't help matters that Allen Robinson is not even trying)

1 minute ago, CentralChamps21 said:

How much cap space would have been saved by cutting Mack and Foles, and letting Robinson walk? Enough to keep Fuller and maybe a couple other people?

I believe Graham could have been cut and Fuller retained.  If that is in fact true it doesn't take a football genius to surmise that the Bears roster is a disaster.

1 CB and 5 TE's 

3 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

The Bears-Packers rivalry isn't much of a rivalry anymore. Hasn't been for some time. First Farve, now Rodgers. This has been getting old and tiresome.

If the Bears want to move to the burbs and build an 80,000 seat stadium, they better build a team that can sell 80,000 tickets.

11 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

How much cap space would have been saved by cutting Mack and Foles, and letting Robinson walk? Enough to keep Fuller and maybe a couple other people?

I don't think so, I think Mack and Foles are dead cap space in that scenario and they still would have to make that move cutting fuller 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lostfan said:

Those look more like timing issues than accuracy issues. He can make the throws, but he's not in sync with his WRs, good thing Andy Dalton got all the reps with the ones in camp this summer I guess. (And it doesn't help matters that Allen Robinson is not even trying)

I didn't see a timing issue on the throw to Kmet.  Mac Jones puts that ball on his numbers.  Fields just plan missed him.  

37 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I just don’t think he’s a very good throwing QB.  He’s elusive as hell, but after seeing Stroud look like a superstar this year in the OSU system, it shows you how great their scheme was.

22 minutes ago, fathom said:

I just don’t think he’s a very good throwing QB.  He’s elusive as hell, but after seeing Stroud look like a superstar this year in the OSU system, it shows you how great their scheme was.

Wait, you mean those other teams that passed on him in the first 9 picks might have noticed something that the Bears didn't? Shocking!

1 hour ago, lostfan said:

I am not too concerned with his throwing. It should get better when he is more comfortable and gets more protection.  I am worried he is a guy who could be injured a lot. He goes down awkwardly a lot. Eventually,  he is going to pay for it. He also fumbles a ton. He needs to clean that up a bit, but I think all things considered,  he looks pretty good. There is definitely some hope. Hopefully they will bring someone in who can help him.

Edited by Dick Allen

The most common defense of Ryan Pace is that he drafts well. That's debatable but let's just go ahead and grant that as true. Now look at the current construction of the Bears' roster from top to bottom and see how abysmal it is, and that's pretty indefensible. In 2018 they had the best front 7 and the best secondary in the league, those days are long gone and now the defense is a shell of its former self. Every team every year loses guys to free agency/salary cap, injuries, retirement, etc. and if you can't replace talent at at least the rate you're losing it, you're simply not good at your job. Pace has objectively failed at this, and whatever he does right he cancels out by wasting resources.

52 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I am not too concerned with his throwing. It should get better when he is more comfortable and gets more protection.  I am worried he is a guy who could be injured a lot. He goes down awkwardly a lot. Eventually,  he is going to pay for it. He also fumbles a ton. He needs to clean that up a bit, but I think all things considered,  he looks pretty good. There is definitely some hope. Hopefully they will bring someone in who can help him.

I definitely am still in the glass half full vs. glass half empty camp with Fields. His athleticism alone gives me reasons to think he can be good fast while the rest of the passing game comes. To me what that athleticism does is it gives him more time to get better at reading defenses and improving the other parts of his game because pure athleticism will work and create enough explosive plays (once he becomes "serviceable" as a passer).  

To me it all comes down to him trusting his eyes. He doesn't trust his eyes yet as a passer - which can throw off his timing a lot. When he shows conviction - that is when he plays at his best.  Doesn't help that he was pressured on over half of his drop backs - although I still think some of those are on him.