2021 NFL Season Thread

2 hours ago, The Beast said:

That may be true, but the offense “flowed” better than in recent years. Having said that, I also would love to know what Bears fans expect to see out of the offense. Do they expect to see something like KC or Tampa? Well how do they get there? What scheme or personnel do they need to do that? These may be good questions for football executives and coaches to answer, but I hear and see a lot of complaining about things without any thinking or discourse on what they want to see. The same bitching happened with Jay Cutler and Lovie Smith and nobody could give even ideas on who to replace those guys with. The same applies to the offense.

I don’t know how to get their beast…many schemes work but what I do know is the current one has stunk every single season and not just stunk it has been putrid. I don’t think they had the best players but they had enough to put up way better than the stats Kyyle showed. 

Personally I want a run dominant attack that leverages play action and designed runs for Fields while allowing him to make plays without asking too much on him yet. I’d like a mix of speed and size at the skill position and a good te. 

More than anything I want a good oline cause that makes everything better. I think they need a new center and I probably wait a year on tackle…although I am okay if they see a tackle they like or free agent by all means just do it. 

Than look to make defense younger but I actually want a defense coach. Frazier is fine but I want the Bucs DC. He is a real good coach and fine leader of men. 

Payton is my top choice if somehow it is possible. I would probably also do Harbaugh. After that I think I hope Roman is available as an oc and I hire Frazier or Bucs DC as my head coach with Roman as the OC. 

11 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

is a real good coach and fine leader of men. 

Unlike Urban Meyer who is better at leading college athletes while living out his frat guy fantasies.

It's spectacular how badly a coach could work out. I'm thinking Nagy is the best head coach the Bears will have ever fired. I'm guessing in ten years he won't seem as bad as he does now.

3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Unlike Urban Meyer who is better at leading college athletes while living out his frat guy fantasies.

It's spectacular how badly a coach could work out. I'm thinking Nagy is the best head coach the Bears will have ever fired. I'm guessing in ten years he won't seem as bad as he does now.

If he just ran the team and relied on others offensive expertise more this would likely be true. I think He will get another shot and do very good one day. 

9 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I am genuinely curious how you come to that conclusion about Nagy.  His teams haven't performed.  He is routinely admitting to being wrong on his tough calls, and there is story after story about his losing the lockerroom.  What are you seeing that everyone else is missing?

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am genuinely curious how you come to that conclusion about Nagy.  His teams haven't performed.  He is routinely admitting to being wrong on his tough calls, and there is story after story about his losing the lockerroom.  What are you seeing that everyone else is missing?

The others were really, really, bad. Actually I forgot Smith was fired. I thought he resigned. Smith was the best they fired, or Dikta. 

But I'll take Nagy over Fox, Trestman, Jauron, Wannstedt, Gibron, Pardee, Armstrong and any others I'm missing. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Texsox said:

The others were really, really, bad.

Lovie Smith wasn't really, really bad.  I know the Bears thought they needed someone to push them to the top levels, but they always had a great D, an offense that was good enough, and the players LOVED him.  Heck even Trestman's era put up better numbers than this one.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Lovie Smith wasn't really, really bad.  I know the Bears thought they needed someone to push them to the top levels, but they always had a great D, an offense that was good enough, and the players LOVED him.  Heck even Trestman's era put up better numbers than this one.

I updated. I thought Lovie left on his own. 

9 minutes ago, Texsox said:

The others were really, really, bad. Actually I forgot Smith was fired. I thought he resigned. Smith was the best they fired, or Dikta. 

But I'll take Nagy over Fox, Trestman, Jauron, Wannstedt, Gibron, Pardee, Armstrong and any others I'm missing. 

I don't think this is making the point that you think it is.  

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Lovie was a good coach. Nagy is an okay coach. Multiple playoffs and 3 seasons .500 or better. Trestman was a brilliant offensive mind but horrific leader of men. He would have been stellar in a coordinator role paired with a head coach like Nagy or Lovie. 

Nagy is someone who will leave Halas hall with class and If anything Bears did him dirty this year in how they handled the mess. He is a real pro and good man. But it is absolutely a time for a change…but knowing bears…odds are they will hire someone worse. Most teams that are regularly in business of hiring new coaches do. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

If his point is - The bears will mess this up…than he is probably right. Nagy is better than a ton of turds they previously had and it shows the rot runs deeper than the coach. Real changes need to happen and the one bright side is with Pace some of those changes actually happened as they did modernize the front office, training facilities, nutritional programs etc. 

Pace has his faults…but he started real change as they significantly upgraded how much they spent on non player costs like having more scouts, etc. If he had someone who could mentor him more he would have done better. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

If you're thinking the Bears are really bad at hiring Head Coaches, then it is making the point. I can almost forgive their lack of ability in drafting quarterbacks, but their ineptness at hiring head coaches is astounding. 

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Obviously I don't go back as far as you do, but this is about as bad of an era of Bears football as we have had in a long time.  The franchise is a joke right now, both on the field and off of it. 

They were .500 or better 3 out of the last 4 years. You are greatly exaggerating how bad this era is…especially relative to the Chicago Bears past 30 years.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Obviously I don't go back as far as you do, but this is about as bad of an era of Bears football as we have had in a long time.  The franchise is a joke right now, both on the field and off of it. 

It's terrible by most franchise standards. With the Bears, it's not far from normal. But as bad as Nagy is this year, he has one of the highest winning percentages of Bear's head coaches in our lifetime. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Texsox said:

If you're thinking the Bears are really bad at hiring Head Coaches, then it is making the point. I can almost forgive their lack of ability in drafting quarterbacks, but their ineptness at hiring head coaches is astounding. 

I'm thinking that Nagy is just another guy and preferring him over any of the other guys doesn't change the results

12 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

They were .500 or better 3 out of the last 4 years. You are greatly exaggerating how bad this era is…especially relative to the Chicago Bears past 30 years.

If we are talking pace Nagy era, it's mediocre.  If we are talking Pace era, not so good.  If we are talking George McCaskey era, it's a fucking dumpster fire

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

I'm thinking that Nagy is just another guy and preferring him over any of the other guys doesn't change the results

It doesn't. In my lifetime he is the third best head coach of the Bears. So I'm not expecting much from the next hire. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

If we are talking pace Nagy era, it's mediocre.  If we are talking Pace era, not so good.  If we are talking George McCaskey era, it's a fucking dumpster fire

I'm missing your point. Sad as it is the Nagy years are the best stretch since George took over. (unless you give him credit for 2012 and call that an era) This may be as good as it gets under him. Why didn't Virginia marry  or raise real football guys? 

20 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Keep in mind they fired Lovie after going 10-6. It was playoffs and the Packers. They "made" the playoffs last year, but haven't won a playoff game since Pace has been here and Nagy as well. And have been dominanted by the Packers. They both need to go. George needs to hire a football guy and he and Ted need to get out of the way.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I heard one of the problems is they love the renovation of Halas Hall, and Pace had a lot to do with that. So they ignore all his missteps with the football team, and just love him.

Great, have him design vacation homes for the family and hire someone with better luck. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I'm missing your point. Sad as it is the Nagy years are the best stretch since George took over. (unless you give him credit for 2012 and call that an era) This may be as good as it gets under him. Why didn't Virginia marry  or raise real football guys? 

I am also missing your point.  Is the third best head coach in your lifetime some sort of line of respect?  Do you think, because you don't believe they will hire better after this, that he should be retained?

Lovie was an okay/average coach by league standards. Evaluating Lovie(and Cutler btw) against other Bears coaches/QBs makes them seem better than they were. Evaluate players and coaches by how they compare to their peers. Cutler was an average to slightly below average QB and Lovie was an average to slightly below average coach. 

Lovie was nothing without Urlacher, Briggs and Tillman

Edited by Jack Parkman