2021 NFL Season Thread

29 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is the only thing that made sense as to why Nagy was still here.  Hopefully the Bears can pull a Bulls here.

Well - technically it seems like the whole "interview" early thing was really a bunch of nothing anyway and the Tribune had a good piece a week ago showing how there is basically no data that shows hiring early vs. late has any barring on whether you are successful in your hire or not. I actually read a good piece from Bill Polian who talked about his own experience hiring coaches which tended to lean on the - I'd rather take more time than less...but also went as far as saying, when you know your candidate, you know...but to know you have to spend TIME with them and get to KNOW them.  

But I should add - if they are going to fire Pace, you are spot on - it certainly would be just one more reason not to make a move with Nagy immediately (and to be honest - as much as we complain about Nagy - it isn't like he's the dumpster fire Trestman is). He is what he is.  

When even “hiring bill belicheck” can fail, I don’t know what the heck template to follow. The bulls were so behind, with such a small front office and scouts network. I don’t feel like Bears are anti modern or anything as an org, they just keep hiring people that aren’t good. 

That’s rough!

Im pro Harbaugh and hand over the reigns. I’d also be happy with Leftwich, Moore. Who knows.

26 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I know, it sucks. 

I don’t know what to think - if there is truth to Harbaugh it would imply they are open to everything. Will be curious how everything plays out. 

I am pretty sure I want a seasoned coach vs new hc though. Quinn, Frazier, Bowles, Harbaugh (or Payton or Tomlin haha) are all my top candidates. I am kind of surprised I have such a defensive lean but I kind of think a tough hard nose guy who runs a bit more conservative style is actually better fit for Fields. Maximize his legs, play action, simplify the field, keep down and distance on your side, etc are all actually really good and basic concepts to help develop a young QB, especially one with Fields strengths and weaknesses. Over time Fields will grow from the situations and each year start to expand his capabilities. 

I would treat him a lot more like Russel Wilson/Mac Jones/Brad early in their careers and less like Joe Burrow/Kyler Murray. 

8 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don’t know what to think - if there is truth to Harbaugh it would imply they are open to everything. Will be curious how everything plays out. 

I am pretty sure I want a seasoned coach vs new hc though. Quinn, Frazier, Bowles, Harbaugh (or Payton or Tomlin haha) are all my top candidates. I am kind of surprised I have such a defensive lean but I kind of think a tough hard nose guy who runs a bit more conservative style is actually better fit for Fields. Maximize his legs, play action, simplify the field, keep down and distance on your side, etc are all actually really good and basic concepts to help develop a young QB, especially one with Fields strengths and weaknesses. Over time Fields will grow from the situations and each year start to expand his capabilities. 

I would treat him a lot more like Russel Wilson/Mac Jones/Brad early in their careers and less like Joe Burrow/Kyler Murray. 

It won’t matter if the bears are open to anything if everyone looks at the main decision maker as someone who can’t bring them talent but will survive them anyway.

• Like 1

I kinda agree with Hub honestly. I didn’t listen but assume it was more related to the offseason drama. If players can constantly benefit in MVP voting for intangible leadership and getting teammate buy in, why can’t they be hurt for the absolute opposite.

Add to that his complaints look so shallow now. Seems like GB continuously grabbing DBs instead of WRs is looking pretty good! Randall Cobb is back…doesn’t seem to be the solution.

Yeah, he’s very good. But Is his year so much better than Brady (who once again stayed on the field the whole year)? 

Anyway I’d go Cooper Kupp. That’s an insane year. We all know QBs are MVPs blah blah just like we all know Lebron James was actually MVP from like 2007-2020. 

Give the guy some bonus money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know I'll be wrong but my gut still says that Pace goes. I think it's true George really, really likes Pace, thinks he's mostly done a good job, etc. But, I also think that the feedback he'll get is it will be hard to move forward with their goals with Pace hiring another coach. But this is some cope shit, probably.

Really hoping for a big personality, big turnaround from the hire. Already annoyed that the rumors of Harbaugh are related to Las Vegas. Reminds me of when we let go of Lovie, and Andy Reid - man of the most consistent offense in the NFL at the time - becomes available and it's never even a thought that the Bears would go after him.

I still say George McCaskey should give Belicheck ownership shares, name the new stadium Belicheck stadium, give him complete course of everything. Kraft already has his succession plan in place.

I'm such a good owner.

Not that it is breaking news - but Boomer Eisason is reporting that Nagy has in fact been informed that he will be relieved of his duties following the Vikings game.  With that said - I look at him as a coach and almost never think his team underperformed its overall record.  I actually think W/L he got the most out of his team year in / year out, which is why I do think in the long run he will be a successful 2nd time head coach.  The hard part was - part of the reason he had such low expectations is some of the personnel decisions he made, in particular around QB, that he was directly involved with.  The problem is - his own genius (his view of himself not mine) got in the way of really forcing the hand of the true personel he needed (beyond even QB - he kept thinking he could turn C players into B+ players with scheme at the skill position front and it was just wrong).  

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Not that it is breaking news - but Boomer Eisason is reporting that Nagy has in fact been informed that he will be relieved of his duties following the Vikings game.  With that said - I look at him as a coach and almost never think his team underperformed its overall record.  I actually think W/L he got the most out of his team year in / year out, which is why I do think in the long run he will be a successful 2nd time head coach.  The hard part was - part of the reason he had such low expectations is some of the personnel decisions he made, in particular around QB, that he was directly involved with.  The problem is - his own genius (his view of himself not mine) got in the way of really forcing the hand of the true personel he needed (beyond even QB - he kept thinking he could turn C players into B+ players with scheme at the skill position front and it was just wrong).  

I don't know. I do think this year, with the schedule they had, it's hard not to say they were a 7-10 team talent-wise.

But I do think the reasons they are worse personnel wise is as you said, he did not know how to do what he wanted to do offensively. So they diverted resources to TEs, they've got gadget players, they went after speedy receivers, etc etc. And all along they had a really nice unit for a power run game that he just doesn't want to lean into despite it being a really nice set-up for a rookie QB.

It does just really suck for him, maybe he was just too young. But it's absolutely true when you watch last week, and look at the vikings, that it's hard to say Bears are a disaster of a team in terms of coaching. He finally figured out special teams. He was able to find a young, talented DC. But he was an abysmal offensive coach, and if he could have been more flexible there who knows.

I do really look a lot more skeptically at these coordinators of fantastically talented offenses. Kyle Shanahan was so benefited by having to float around multiple orgs. Nagy was given one of the most talented skill position teams in the world and because they make every matchup hell, he thought he was the one creating the matchup issues. Matt LaFleur was likely helped immensely by his Tennessee "failure".

But then you have Sean Mcvay.

Who the hell knows. 

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

What do they expect him to say? “Justin Fields is starting on Sunday and oh by the way I was told that I’m going to be fired at the end of the season.” Enough already. He’s not going to publicly come out and say that he’s going to be fired. Lol

Edited by maloney.adam