Jump to content
Chisoxfn

2021 NFL Season Thread

Recommended Posts

So I don't think Leslie Frazier is going to be the coach. He definitely had a hand in developing that talent, but I also just feel like it's a situation where buffalo was loaded, plus McDermott was a phenomenal DC himself.

His Minnesota defense was bad, then his Tampa defense was bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Tony said:

Today, after George fired yet another GM/HC combo, we learned that while Ted will no longer have the GM and HC report to him.....he'll still have a voice in the room and help find the next GM of the Bears. The new GM will now report to George, WHO IN THE SAME PRESS CONFERENCE WAS ASKED TO EVALUATE JUSTIN FIELDS AND HIS RESPONSE WAS "I'M JUST A FAN." 

I would have worded it differently, but I don't have a problem with the bolded statement. Unless your team is owned by a real football person like Jerry Jones, at some point in the chain of command of the organization you will have a football person reporting to and being hired by a non-football person. I don't expect the team owner to spend dozens of hours watching game film and talking to scouts in order to form a solid evaluation of the quarterback. I do expect the owner to understand when the person directly below him or her has been getting the same unacceptable results after repeated GM/Coach hires and make a change in how those positions are filled, and I expect him or her to identify the right outside consultants to help make those changes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pcq said:

What a way to treat the most devoted fans ever. 

They are in a similar position as the Cubs were prior to the WS win. Chicago football fans are so devoted and praying to see a winning team that despite the crap they put out on the field, fans will continue to come out and support. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I would have worded it differently, but I don't have a problem with the bolded statement. Unless your team is owned by a real football person like Jerry Jones, at some point in the chain of command of the organization you will have a football person reporting to and being hired by a non-football person. I don't expect the team owner to spend dozens of hours watching game film and talking to scouts in order to form a solid evaluation of the quarterback. I do expect the owner to understand when the person directly below him or her has been getting the same unacceptable results after repeated GM/Coach hires and make a change in how those positions are filled, and I expect him or her to identify the right outside consultants to help make those changes.

And I agree with you, basically 100%. 

George has to make the call here, no one argues that. And it's hopefully the last important football decision he has to make in a very long while. But again, in my eyes, using Bill Polian is fine (although I think the game has passed him by in a lot of ways and would have liked a younger name) but then George says the GM and HC will report directly to George. So is George now getting MORE involved with the day-to-day football side of things? 

There is my issue. Ted should have NO involvement with football (that didn't happen today) and George should put together a committee to find a new Football Ops President, and let that guy and that guy alone report to George, but the GM and HC will report to the Football Ops President (That didn't happen today either.) 

Instead we got George telling us how pissed Mom is and while they used this same process to hire Emery and Pace...this time it's going to be different. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Just be glad JR doesn't own the Bears or else they'd be hiring Ditka.

Laugh if you want, but when Jim Finks, the GM who owned 5% of the Bears stock was leaving the team and had to sell his stock, JR and EE offered to buy it and thus established a market value for the shares which the McCaskey's had to match and that is why they hate the Sox ownership to this day.  It coulda been!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, bmags said:

So I don't think Leslie Frazier is going to be the coach. He definitely had a hand in developing that talent, but I also just feel like it's a situation where buffalo was loaded, plus McDermott was a phenomenal DC himself.

His Minnesota defense was bad, then his Tampa defense was bad. 

Hard pass.  It's Harbaugh or bust for me.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Hard pass.  It's Harbaugh or bust for me.  

Harbaugh is my heavy preference - if not him - I am open to the defensive guys (Frazier, Quinn, Bowles). My preference is probably Bowles/Quinn over Frazier (if you go defensive guy).  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, bmags said:

So I don't think Leslie Frazier is going to be the coach. He definitely had a hand in developing that talent, but I also just feel like it's a situation where buffalo was loaded, plus McDermott was a phenomenal DC himself.

His Minnesota defense was bad, then his Tampa defense was bad. 

It would be such a Bears thing to hire Frazier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I really want Rick Smith as GM. Like a lot.  I always thought he was old - I just realized he is only in his early 50's too.  Guy was extremely successful in Houston - found a QB (and even battled BOB who didn't agree with him that Watson was the guy) and regularly found good talent and put together good teams in Houston.  If somehow I could get him and Harbaugh - that would be amazing. 

I presume Smith isn't coming with a Harbaugh - and Smith would more go with one of the non Harbaugh names I mentioned (due to power conflicts) but either way - I'm a happy camper with Smith. Don't get cute, go out there and get someone who has done the job and done it well in the past (and better yet someone that is young enough that they could do it for another 10-15 years).  In 3 or 4 years - elevate them to president - so you can bring in or promote another person up a level to strengthen your bench and actually position the franchise for more sustainable greatness.

The end - 20 years from now people talk about the McCaskey's like the Rooney's - MISSION ACCOMPLISHED :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It would be such a Bears thing to hire Frazier. 

I think Frazier is a good leader of men and would be smart enough to surround himself with very good coordinators, which is key.  I can think of a lot worse hires than Frazier.  I think he knows the game, he knows how to network, he knows the importance of development, and he has seen things work in many orgs with many coaches and also has the perspective from once having been in that seat.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way - for those wondering - Rick Smith and Bill Polian's paths when they were both a handful of members of the competition committee back in 2010 (not sure for how long). I say this because I do feel like typically when you get an adviser you are probably going to get some perceived bias from people within your existing network (which isn't saying a lot as I presume Polian has a HUGE network in the game).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

By the way - for those wondering - Rick Smith and Bill Polian's paths when they were both a handful of members of the competition committee back in 2010 (not sure for how long). I say this because I do feel like typically when you get an adviser you are probably going to get some perceived bias from people within your existing network (which isn't saying a lot as I presume Polian has a HUGE network in the game).  

Because they don’t want to appear to be leading the choices?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bmags said:

Because they don’t want to appear to be leading the choices?

More of - they are human, just like any of us.  If someone asks - hey can you help me find someone in x line of work (and it happens to be your line). You are probably going to start with recommendations within your network or start the process from there.  You will also suggest - expanding - but reality is pool will likely be tainted by people you really like (which are due to your own personal connections).  Just the facts.  That said - Polian has been there enough - that I think teams now a days have like a ready to operate list (heck the league probably does) - than its just a matter of the teams looking at resumes  and meeting with people and asking questions.

That is where Polian is probably huge - seeing through the BS in responses, knowing how to ask the question that digs deeper and shows more clarity into the vision and thought-process, etc.  But its more than obviously talking the talk - cause these people have resumes around what they have accomplished too (but obviously the skills of a GM are different than a personal guy too). 

But If Bears already had maybe a candidate or two in mind - I would expect a smaller list of candidates so they could fast track to their people (and if anything confirm their pre conceived biases).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

And I really want Rick Smith as GM. Like a lot.  I always thought he was old - I just realized he is only in his early 50's too.  Guy was extremely successful in Houston - found a QB (and even battled BOB who didn't agree with him that Watson was the guy) and regularly found good talent and put together good teams in Houston.  If somehow I could get him and Harbaugh - that would be amazing. 

I presume Smith isn't coming with a Harbaugh - and Smith would more go with one of the non Harbaugh names I mentioned (due to power conflicts) but either way - I'm a happy camper with Smith. Don't get cute, go out there and get someone who has done the job and done it well in the past (and better yet someone that is young enough that they could do it for another 10-15 years).  In 3 or 4 years - elevate them to president - so you can bring in or promote another person up a level to strengthen your bench and actually position the franchise for more sustainable greatness.

The end - 20 years from now people talk about the McCaskey's like the Rooney's - MISSION ACCOMPLISHED :)

I would be a fan of Rick Smith coming on board as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think Frazier is a good leader of men and would be smart enough to surround himself with very good coordinators, which is key.  I can think of a lot worse hires than Frazier.  I think he knows the game, he knows how to network, he knows the importance of development, and he has seen things work in many orgs with many coaches and also has the perspective from once having been in that seat.  

I don’t know man. If you aren’t a good coordinator I feel like you aren’t at bare minimum a good teacher and leader. 

And wow, he wasn’t really a good coordinator anywhere before Bills

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

More of - they are human, just like any of us.  If someone asks - hey can you help me find someone in x line of work (and it happens to be your line). You are probably going to start with recommendations within your network or start the process from there.  You will also suggest - expanding - but reality is pool will likely be tainted by people you really like (which are due to your own personal connections).  Just the facts.  That said - Polian has been there enough - that I think teams now a days have like a ready to operate list (heck the league probably does) - than its just a matter of the teams looking at resumes  and meeting with people and asking questions.

That is where Polian is probably huge - seeing through the BS in responses, knowing how to ask the question that digs deeper and shows more clarity into the vision and thought-process, etc.  But its more than obviously talking the talk - cause these people have resumes around what they have accomplished too (but obviously the skills of a GM are different than a personal guy too). 

But If Bears already had maybe a candidate or two in mind - I would expect a smaller list of candidates so they could fast track to their people (and if anything confirm their pre conceived biases).  

I read Bias in your post as being negative, not positive but yea I agree it helps. Would love Rick Smith. Would also really like Trace Armstrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stinky Stanky said:

Leverage.

Or maybe he just wants back some of what he gave up before the season. Leverage for him with Michigan or leverage for him for a pro job? I tend to think he's trying to cash in without moving anywhere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Lets objectively look at things (cause they can't just become the Steelers ownership group overnight):

Launch both Nagy & Pace - Check

Ensure GM Role reports to ownership (and not Teddy) - Check

Since George admits he can't do the hiring - Find an adviser to help (Polian) - Check

Appears that they at least have preliminary list of names and Polian didn't just come in now (sounds like him and other confidential parties were involved for a while) - Check

Not bringing in president role - Miss (but in grand scheme not a huge miss - because as people point out - this isn't done in the NFL like it is a bit more in baseball/basketball) 

Keeping Ted involved - Miss (end of the day Ted wasn't going to get canned - but the big change is the role NO LONGER reports to him - that is a meaningful change and creates the division everyone wanted prior to this conference).  But I can't see Ted's view overriding Polian.  

 

So bottom line - if I think about what could happen - I get it, people don't like that George is making another hire, but that is what it is. But I got the vast majority of what I wanted out of this.  Now I'll wait to see what they do next. And George was right - the fan base will have all the questions they have and continue to do until the performance of the field changes and consistently changes.  

 

 

They gave 80% of what people wanted. If I heard the press conference correctly, the GM will report to McCaskey and I am not sure what influence Ted Phillips will have aside from being involved in the interview process. I wanted a football team president but if they hit the home run on the GM I don’t know if it matters.

Thanks for looking at things objectively, particularly the checklist and looking at the Olin Kruetz “story” with more than just the $15 per hour to be an independent contractor for the team during camp.

I think the press conference was a bit overblown. George said some dumb things like "I consider myself a fan and not a football guy," "I was embarrassed by Matt Nagy when he asked if Fields should be the starter" and could have done things differently with regards to the Olin Kruetz $15 per hour to be a football coaching intern, but Pace and Nagy are gone, the new GM will report to George and not Ted Phillips, Bill Polian is a good mind to consult with and there are lots of good names out there. 

As long as good decisions get made, they will be okay. They have to make tough decisions with limited resources. They might have to suck for a year which might be a problem for their head coach and GM. Phillips is also getting up there in age and might be more busy with the Arlington Heights purchase.

I want them to interview any of the following for head coach: Jim Harbaugh, Eric Bienemy, Todd Bowles, Brian Daboll, Brian Flores, Greg Roman, Kellen Moore and Dan Quinn. I want them to interview any of the following for GM: Morocco Brown, Omar Khan, Scott Pioli, John Schneider, Louis Riddick, Joe Schoen, Rick Smith and Ryan Cowden.

I’m not really am a fan of Leslie Frazier given his track record as the Vikings coach, but they have already requested interviews with him for HC and Brown for GM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy about this

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the guy I called having a temper tantrum earlier

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, bmags said:

Happy about this

 

Why? The Browns have had continuous high draft picks and besides last year have been a poor franchise on the field. Honest question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Why? The Browns have had continuous high draft picks and besides last year have been a poor franchise on the field. Honest question. 

One name you don't hear a lot about is DiPodesta with the Browns...where he's the "chief strategy officer."

So much of that franchise has been about a meddling owner, power struggles in the front office and with Hue Jackson/Stefanski...and then things really blew up with OBJ and Mayfield playing hurt for most of the season.

It's a huge risk to give up now on Mayfield, but it's also so hard to go out and find a franchise QB.   Can he still be that guy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which is the correct view: 

a) You can't be as wrong as Bill Polian was on Lamar Jackson, we shouldn't trust him, more of the same, etc. 

b) Scouting is an inexact science, everyone's wrong on somebody

c) both

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×