Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Chisoxfn

2021 NFL Season Thread

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Prior to Fields falling, they went into the season going all in with Dalton as their starting QB. They believe they have a playoff caliber team as is, which is far from the truth. 

No - I don't think that was really ever the case. They maybe would have went a different direction if they could have landed Stamford (and I don't know what that strategy would have looked like...but I bet you Kyle Fuller would be around and other tweaks would have been made).  Stafford would not have been a good move by the Bears...and who knows how serious they were or weren't.  There was no way they weren't going to take a shot at QB in the draft -> that was always the case but they couldn't just sit around and hope so they needed a plan B.  

They are in this mess though because Pace was lousy with a lot of draft picks and whiffed completely in his use of high stakes draft capital.  Mack = MISS (I said it when they made the move -> too early of an aggression and wrong use of draft capital); Miller (another miss and cost of key draft capital); Trubisky - Miss (dont' blame him for taking a QB -> but top pick miss)....Kevin White - top pick whiff; Floyd - Top pick whiff.  Bottom line - he's failed at leveraging / maximize draft capital.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

No - I don't think that was really ever the case. They maybe would have went a different direction if they could have landed Stamford (and I don't know what that strategy would have looked like...but I bet you Kyle Fuller would be around and other tweaks would have been made).  Stafford would not have been a good move by the Bears...and who knows how serious they were or weren't.  There was no way they weren't going to take a shot at QB in the draft -> that was always the case but they couldn't just sit around and hope so they needed a plan B.  

They are in this mess though because Pace was lousy with a lot of draft picks and whiffed completely in his use of high stakes draft capital.  Mack = MISS (I said it when they made the move -> too early of an aggression and wrong use of draft capital); Miller (another miss and cost of key draft capital); Trubisky - Miss (dont' blame him for taking a QB -> but top pick miss)....Kevin White - top pick whiff; Floyd - Top pick whiff.  Bottom line - he's failed at leveraging / maximize draft capital.  

oh if they had just re-signed leonard floyd instead of letting him go and spending on robert quinn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys are disagreeing with me, but saying the same shit I’m saying lol. If you look at my initial post I mentioned the misuse of draft capitol, terrible draft picks, and investing in aging veterans. This organization from top to bottom sucks and will continue to be until a change up top. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ShoeLessRob said:

You guys are disagreeing with me, but saying the same shit I’m saying lol. If you look at my initial post I mentioned the misuse of draft capitol, terrible draft picks, and investing in aging veterans. This organization from top to bottom sucks and will continue to be until a change up top. 

but we are disagreeing that they were going all in with andy dalton if fields hadn't fallen into their lap. They weren't. They were in between, they knew they were in between, which is why nagy and pace sticking around seemed so disappointing because it meant they were extremely secure in their jobs, which still sounds like it will be the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Eddie Jackson went from one of Pace's best moves to handing him an extention after a poor season and turned it into a massive disaster cause Eddie Jackson flat out SUCKS. 

It’s sad because I really enjoyed him as a playmaker. I don’t know if the defense just had lightning in a bottle in 2018 or if they are old but it would be awesome if they could return to their old ways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't really remember, but did they need to choose Jackson or Amos after that division title? If so, we obviously made the wrong choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bmags said:

but we are disagreeing that they were going all in with andy dalton if fields hadn't fallen into their lap. They weren't. They were in between, they knew they were in between, which is why nagy and pace sticking around seemed so disappointing because it meant they were extremely secure in their jobs, which still sounds like it will be the case.

I don’t disagree that they were looking for other QB upgrades, I think they looked to maybe get Wilson, Watson, Stafford, Etc. But ultimately fell short or refusal on the other side to move the player. I think they unfortunately had to settle for Dalton, since theoretically is an upgrade over Foles. I don’t think anyone anticipated Fields falling to 10, giving them a chance to get him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2021 at 6:42 PM, Brian said:

I can't really remember, but did they need to choose Jackson or Amos after that division title? If so, we obviously made the wrong choice.

Eddie Jackson went from so good to so bad so fast. I often think he thinks he's playing flag football.

Edited by Dick Allen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not shocked there. Very disappointed. I wanted him gone after last year, but still thought it's possible as a ceo type coach he could succeed. For as much as we talk about hte quick hooks on coaches sometimes, nagy has not seemed to improve his decision making in year 4. It feels like it has gone the other way.

The roster isn't that talented, and honestly he'll probably get what that roster should get. But he does seem to make a lot of really bizarre decisions. I do get calling your own plays even if you aren't good at it. You never know if you'll get a HC gig again, wouldn't you want to do it while you can? The other stuff though, absolute dreck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bmags said:

I am not shocked there. Very disappointed. I wanted him gone after last year, but still thought it's possible as a ceo type coach he could succeed. For as much as we talk about hte quick hooks on coaches sometimes, nagy has not seemed to improve his decision making in year 4. It feels like it has gone the other way.

The roster isn't that talented, and honestly he'll probably get what that roster should get. But he does seem to make a lot of really bizarre decisions. I do get calling your own plays even if you aren't good at it. You never know if you'll get a HC gig again, wouldn't you want to do it while you can? The other stuff though, absolute dreck.

Week 1 in NFL is all about overreactions. I think the defense is old and past its prime...that is a fact, not an overreaction.  I also dont' necessarily think that is on Nagy or Sean Desai. I also think the defense in week 1 had some fundamental breakdowns that opened up those big plays and they did it against a playcaller who is the best in the business (i.e, he does that to elite defenses too).  The fact that those breakdowns happened in week 1 (i.e., still very early in the season) vs. week 8 gives me some hoep that some of that gets cleaned up.  

But I didn't see a lot to just completely crush Nagy over.  I didn't like the lack of a vertical attack, but when your down a number of LT's, etc and going against a Rams pass rush that is considered one of the best in the league...I couldn't really argue the game plan. Quite frankly, the Bears ran the ball decently, won the TOP game (partly because their defense was brutal...but also because the offense moved the chains).  The offense didn't execute enough when they got into Rams territory and had a brutal red zone turnover (the tO that came on 4th down where dalton fumbled...it was 4th down and a double move where they took an aggressive play and line couldn't hold).

I guess what I'm saying is....I don't think this is a great football team...that is more on Pace than Nagy as I didn't have a lot to crush Nagy for when they kept it close, before collapsing late.  I also liked their use of Fields in the game....with maybe the one spot where I would have kept him in during that 1st red zone possession on the 3.  

Note:  I would have been fine moving on from Nagy last year too -> but to me more of this roster / issues are on Pace who I can apprecaite for certain things, but he has whiffed way too much on his use of cap capital and draft capital. Getting Fields was a mea culpa but he better be able to pivot and do a significantly better job on the pro personnel side where this team has whiffed in FA (which happens) but also whiffed really badly on internal guys (picking wrong guys to extent vs. let walk, not trading guys at right time..i.e., Pats style to maximize assets) and just the whole Fuller fiasco where they ruined a golden opportunity to get some form of assets.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Week 1 in NFL is all about overreactions. I think the defense is old and past its prime...that is a fact, not an overreaction.  I also dont' necessarily think that is on Nagy or Sean Desai. I also think the defense in week 1 had some fundamental breakdowns that opened up those big plays and they did it against a playcaller who is the best in the business (i.e, he does that to elite defenses too).  The fact that those breakdowns happened in week 1 (i.e., still very early in the season) vs. week 8 gives me some hoep that some of that gets cleaned up.  

But I didn't see a lot to just completely crush Nagy over.  I didn't like the lack of a vertical attack, but when your down a number of LT's, etc and going against a Rams pass rush that is considered one of the best in the league...I couldn't really argue the game plan. Quite frankly, the Bears ran the ball decently, won the TOP game (partly because their defense was brutal...but also because the offense moved the chains).  The offense didn't execute enough when they got into Rams territory and had a brutal red zone turnover (the tO that came on 4th down where dalton fumbled...it was 4th down and a double move where they took an aggressive play and line couldn't hold).

I guess what I'm saying is....I don't think this is a great football team...that is more on Pace than Nagy as I didn't have a lot to crush Nagy for when they kept it close, before collapsing late.  I also liked their use of Fields in the game....with maybe the one spot where I would have kept him in during that 1st red zone possession on the 3.  

Note:  I would have been fine moving on from Nagy last year too -> but to me more of this roster / issues are on Pace who I can apprecaite for certain things, but he has whiffed way too much on his use of cap capital and draft capital. Getting Fields was a mea culpa but he better be able to pivot and do a significantly better job on the pro personnel side where this team has whiffed in FA (which happens) but also whiffed really badly on internal guys (picking wrong guys to extent vs. let walk, not trading guys at right time..i.e., Pats style to maximize assets) and just the whole Fuller fiasco where they ruined a golden opportunity to get some form of assets.  

I think something that really, really, really annoys me was brought up on hoge and jahns today. You have to believe it's Nagy that chooses Jimmy Graham and that caused one of leno or fuller to need to be discarded. One had to go, but if you got rid of grahams 10 mill or so you could have made it work. TE is so important to his offense right?

Graham got 13 snaps on Sunday. You had to cut a full time left tackle and quality starting CB for a role player? It's a huge deal, and it seems like he has been unable to fit his offense to his pieces, and instead demanded dollar store clones of his 2017 offense at the price of real strengths on the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bears have a garbage roster.  They have had a garbage roster for a number of years now.  It used to be at least the defense could hold up to give the offense a chance, but now even the defense is starting to slow down.  It is a team that is capped hard, and one that has given away draft picks to get here.  Forget firing Nagy, fire the front office, and burn this thing to the ground like they  have needed to for a while now. Stock up on draft picks, take the cap pain, and look at getting a decent team on the field by the time Fields will be a free agent. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dalton limped off, Fields in the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dalton going to the locker room, Fields is the QB now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fields looking a rookie on that last drive. Can't blame him. I don't think he was prepared to run the whole offense in week 2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dumb penalties for the 2nd time today on 4th down.............Quinn is useless

Edited by Soxfest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Defense showed up today. 
 

This Bengals offense looked pretty good against Minnesota last week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×